tat-tat-tatting aaalong!

Shell

Could you type out the instructions where you're having problems? I suspect it's something along the lines of the following:

R: 4-4-4-4 RW

C: 4-4-4-4 RW

R: 4-4-4-4 RW

For the second ring you would flip your work over and then start the ring. I believe when working with needles you have to make the DS going towards the eye of the needle instead of away from it and you'd only be using one thread.

Actually the method that you just described for the second ring sounds like a mock self closing ring which is actually a more advanced technique.

The pattern goes something like this:

R: 2-2-2-2-2-2 RW

C: 3-3-3-3 RW

R: 2-2 join to 2nd p of 1st ring 2-2-2-2 RW

continue until 8 joined rings and 8 chains total (Far from the exact instructions, but gives you the general idea.)

I'm accidently doing an advance technique?!? Cool.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Joy. Not really. But since my adlib is working that is what I've been doing. Have been busy crocheting lately, so not much time to do any tatting. Maybe when I get my current BIG crochet project done, I can get back to it. Anything to show off for us learners?

• 10 months later...

Hi Shell, This is pretty comical seeing how I just went and bought shuttles this morning.Hate to say it, but I've become a little bored w/ crochet right now and wanted to try something new.I've been teaching myself some knitting, and along the way I found Tatting.Being such an old skill, I wanted to try. So count me in!!!!!!!!! I'm just now learning the basic stitches myself,I do have the flip down now as it is a must to tat properly. I think after I master Tatting I might be interested in lace making w/ all those bobbins, looks challenging,which is what I need. So yes,:yes, I'm in.Not on the puter a lot but will check in daily or so.Thanks,as a matter of fact I was just looking up groups for it and you popped up! ;)

Hi Kiokie,

Glad you found us. Tatting is very addictive. I like you I first master tatting and now I have just purchased a bobbin lace kit. so as soon as I can find some time I want to give it a go.

I may have to try learning this (sorta again, took a 1 day class YEARS!! ago, but not done anything w/ it since) since I was recently blessed w/ some very old (aka 1940's and 1950's) "workbasket" magazines. Lots of crocheting and tatting in them. very pretty.

Sandy

Well I would love to fireup this thread again. It kinda slowed down over the last few months. I need to finish off my list for next years projects and finish tiding but we could start on Janruary 1st if you want too.

Hi sticksnhooks,

With a CAL or in this case a TAL you pick a pattern you would like to make and then we check in here every day or so and show piccies if possible of our progress. I don't needle tat but I do shuttle tat. I will try and help out if I can but I have only read about needle tatting never tried. There are a few links in the first post to some free patterns. Here are a few more.

http://www.craftown.com/tat/pat3.htm

this one looks good for beginners

I like this one

This is a good site for info and free patterns.

http://tatting.bellaonline.com/Site.asp

I looked this morning for a free tattting pattern I like before leaving for work. I also found the craftown edging. Still looking, may do earring I found a pair of snowflakes I like

with beads, like I said, still looking.

I did find this edging: http://www.geocities.com/skalber552/

will write later when I find the got-have -it -pattern.

BTW happy New Year to everyone!

I don't know how I ever missed this thread :think

I learned to tat about 4 yrs ago,I was doing a craft show and an elderly lady had a booth close to mine and all she had was miles of tatted edgings. Her husband had made her wooden spools to wind the edgings on.I knew I had to learn how to tat! and she was gracious enough to show me the basics and needless to say I was in her booth for most of the craft show,saying can you show me that one more time? LOL.

I later went out and bought me a shuttle and I could make the first ring and that was it ,I was so disappointed, it looked just like how the ring was suppose to look but I could go no farther with it,not realizing that I was not "flipping" the thread.You have a "core" thread and a "running" thread.I was not flipping the thread,bringing it over to the core thread,by not doing that i was "locking" the closing ring.Once I learned that I could keep making rings.

I have not tatted anything larger than a bookmark or a medium sized heart that i learned to tat over a button for the center of the heart.And am far from being advanced in tatting but I love it!

Also I did teach myself how to tat using beads.That took me some time to learn but I stayed with it and now I find its really simple to do ...Once I figured out "what' I was doing.

There is plenty of beautiful AND free patterns online.

Anywho....count me in on this.This should be lots of fun.

Hi Chessi, Welcome to the Group.

Sticksnhooks The patterns at Be-stitched are beautiful. I have a few save to my hard drive. Might start with one of their snowflakes.

Here are a few pics of some of my tatting ( I have posted these on the Ville in the ( other crafts) thread.

These were needle tatted. The Eyeglass chains and keychains are my own design. The others are from free patterns I found online.

th_DSC00921.jpg

th_DSC00931.jpg

th_tattedbutterfly.jpg

th_DSC01616.jpg

th_DSC01616.jpg

th_DSC01570.jpg

Archived