tat-tat-tatting aaalong!

Shell

Joy, those are very beautiful. The recipients will love them for sure.:c9:manyheart I haven't given up on tatting. My life is still a little hectic with my Dad's failing health. I did find some books and will try to make some things from them after the holidays.

Thanks for sharing and for keeping me inspired.

:gift:stocking:santa:hbulb:candycane:2snowman:rud:ctree

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. I just looked at the instructions for needle tatting. I might actually be able to do that. The last time I tried was with a shuttle. The needle version would solve the major problem I had before, which was that no two stitches ever came out the same size. :lol

Argh!! I went to Micheal's today to pick up some more yarn and was going to pick up some more Clover Tatting Shuttles, but they stopped carrying them!! All they had was a metal bobbin shuttle by DMC. Sigh. Guess I'll have to buy my shuttles elsewhere.

Oh, NO!!! :eek How many do you need? I can check and see if our stores carry them.

Well, I did it. I bought a set of 4 different sized tatting needles at Hobby Lobby today. Didn't buy any thread as I have a lot of crochet thread on hand that should work just fine. Looked at a book, but didn't buy it. Wasn't enough information in it to justify the cost. We'll see what happens next, I guess. :lol

Grrrrrr!! So far I have accomplished two half moons and one that turned out like a ring, but only because I pulled on the wrong thread. Back to the drawing board.:(

Yippee!!! :woo On try 6 I finally got a ring and just to prove to myself I had it I made another one on the same string and it turned out to be a perfect match for the first one. The rings are the same size and the picots are all the same size. Wheeeeeeeee!!! This feels like a MAJOR accomplishment! :woo:woo

Bought some larger size thread to practice with today. Also picked up a copy of "Big Book of Tatting" by House of White Birches which has some really pretty small projects I can practice on. And some BIG projects that I won't be tackling for a very long time, if ever. :lol :lol :lol

:yay:yay Happy New Year!!! :yay:yay

One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn tatting at least well enough to make a few Christmas ornaments for NEXT Christmas. Hehehehe!! :lol :lol :lol

I actually just tried to start tatting. I couldn't do it, but I realized that my thread was too fine. I plan to get better thread and try again.

Wish me luck!

I hope it goes better when I get the other thread.

I thought it was great to find this post, just after I started trying it myself. :)

I am definitely having better luck with the needle tatting than I ever did with shuttle tatting. Completed a medallion today, but I must admit that I cheated while doing it, because I couldn't remember how to do a ring after doing a chain. The reverse work I figured out eventually, but the first few look kind of weird. I tried to get a close up of it, but it got all fuzzy, so this is the best I could do for a picture. It's light pink. I starched and ironed it so it can be used as a tree ornament.

DCP_1318.jpg

Somethingnew That's great. The finer thread will work but it is better to start off with a thicker thread so you can see how it is forming and your tension.

Lynda Your medalion looks great. I haven't tried needle tatting. I have only used shuttles to date. Must give it a go.

I actually just tried to start tatting. I couldn't do it, but I realized that my thread was too fine. I plan to get better thread and try again.

Wish me luck!

I hope it goes better when I get the other thread.

I thought it was great to find this post, just after I started trying it myself. :)

If you need video assistance, I found a plethora of tatting tutorials on youtube.com. Just type in tatting in the search pane. They were definitely helpful for me because I am a visual learner. Text & stills just don't do it for me.

I went to Hob-Lob this afternoon and I bought myself two plastic shuttles. Other than the learning curve of how to handle these buggers so the pointy end dosn't continously stab the most sensitive part of my hand (between the thumb and index...OUCH...son-of-a...:eek) I've run into another snag.

I have the tiny hitch stitch down pat. Now when I am trying to make rings...all the instructions I come across say to pull on the thread coming from the shuttle to close the ring. When I do...all I am doing is tighening up the last hitch stitch! Errrrr....:think !! I have noticed when I pull on the OPPOSITE end, the leader going to the ball, this tightens the ring.

What could I be doing wrong? :huh

The problem is that you haven't got the flip down yet. After you make the loop with the shuttle thread, you need to loosen the tension on both threads and then tighten the tension on the shuttle thread. This will cause the stitch to *flip* so that the loop is now around the shuttle thread and will slide freely along that thread. This part of the Tat-ra Sutra instructions illustrates how this step is performed really well. It takes some practice to get the feel for flipping stitches, but once you do it becomes second nature. You're well on your way!!

Oh man I practice this late into the night last night. The stitches don't look nearly as neat as before. This flip thing complicated a good thing! Thanks for the info!

:ty

Oh, man! I looked at that set of instructions and think I'll stick to the needle tatting. I seem to be getting tatting done that way down. Except, of course, for the fact that I wrap the thread around my thumb instead of my finger. But since it works, I'll keep doing it my way. :lol :lol :lol

EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee!!! I got it! I made my first peice and it looks like a Goddess form!! :cheer You can see a photo here: Tatted Goddess

Now....how to I tie off? Is it as simple as a knot?

I'm getting frustrated. I can do the first ring just fine. And I can do the reverse work with the knot. I can do the chain and the reverse work again. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to go back and do another ring! :thair Arrrgh!!!!!:bang :bang :bang Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I'm faking it by going through the first end of the chain that's supposed to be a ring and making it into a circle that way, but I know that's not right.

Archived