Yarn suggestion?

One of my bosses was diagnosed over a year ago with pancreatic cancer that has now spread into the liver. Sad, I know :( . It's heart breaking to be here and literally watch him slip away a little more each day. He's going down hill so fast, and he doesn't have a lot longer. Anyway! I've decided to make this shawl for his sweet lovely wife, and I can't make up my mind on the yarn. I've looked all over the place and I really like some of the stuff I've looked at over at Elann.com. I don't have tons of cash to spend on yarn, but I would like to use the "good stuff". Something in a sport weight maybe? I've looked at so much yarn but just can't make up my mind. What do you guys think? I need suggestions. What would this shawl look good in? I can afford about $40 to $50 for yarn including shipping. There's a Hobby Lobby about 40 miles from here that I can get to if need be. Help? Also, what about color? I don't want to use black, that is so "death" you know? I was thinking a muted green maybe? what do you think?

When I see a lacy looking design like that (and like the Sweet Pea shawl), I always think of Katrina, keep wanting to try that. Might be nice. But also, just some good ole' Caron simply soft would be very pretty, and very soft, as well.

I agree with using Caron Simply Soft. I have used that for shawls before and it works up beautiful and feels wonderful! Also the muted green would be pretty. So would a blue...they say that blue is calming. You're very sweet to be making one for her and I know that she will find great comfort in it. :hug

Looking through it and the other choices it gives you for yarn, you can use a fingering, fine/sport, or dk weight.

You might try Lionbrand Microspun or Paton's Grace.

Maybe even Brilliant or Glitterspun.

Some other's you might use:

Paton's Lacette or Grace.

Lionbrand Tiffany.

Bernat Cool Crochet.

Moda Dea Beadnik is a size higher but I bet it's close enough and would look neat with the beads in it.

one of the ladies in my yarn group always uses homespun for her prayer shawls. she says its light enough if the person is weak and its washable too.... sorry to hear about your boss

I like TLC Cotton Plus - it's a light worsted weight - a bit thicker than DK or sport, but thinner than an acrylic worsted. It's washable, not too warm for wearing in the summer, and it's very, very soft. Has a beautiful drape, and a soft sheen and works up nicely, too. I had little splitting when I worked with it; the only splitting was when I made an stuffed bunny with it and was working tight rounds.

It was very affordable, too, at Joanns.com. $2.49 a ball. Also, it is very similar to the yarn alternatives Garnstudio is suggesting.

How much yarn/weight/length does the pattern call for?

My favorite yarn for a shawl is Joann's Sensations Rainbow Boucle. It is nice and light, and one skein is more than enough for a shawl. I like to use a K (6.5 mm) hook with it. :D

The yarn the pattern is designed for gives these specifics:

100% alpaca wool, 50g = 180m,

single thread: needle sise 3-3.5mm,

knitting tension 23 sts x 30 rows = 10x10cm

double thread: needle size 5,

knitting tension 17 sts x 22 rows = 10x10cm

So, it is a pretty thin yarn. Anything close to that should come out about the same. My LYS carries some thin alpaca yarn and it is really reasonably priced ($5/sk).

Thanks everybody! Patton's Grace is definately on my "mabye so" list. I went home last night and started playing with the pattern. Well, as it turns out, I don't like how it works up. to open and airy. **sigh**.....i have looked at gosh i dont know how many patterns for stoles and shawls i've looked at, and none, no not one, really appeals to me. I gotta make a decision. I'm afraid he'll pass away before I can even make up my dang mind about the pattern and yarn. frustrating. I didn't realize i was so picky. But i just want it to be special. He's a special person, and so is she. It's just one of those cases where not just anything will do. I'll keep looking. Surely! I'll find something, yes I've seen all the free ones on the web, yes that one too, and ton's of to-buy patterns. Marching on....

I know what you mean... I've started about a 1/2 dozen shalws this week and I keep frogging them b/c they aren't "exactly" what I want... I just started the butterful shawl pattern that I found here yesterday and I've already abandoned that (I like it, but it isn't what I want NOW).

I hope you find something soon! If I find one I can't live without in the next couple days, I'll pass it along!

Do you have a stitch encyclopedia? I find I often turn to my Donna Kooler's book to find a "better" stitch for a pattern I like.

If it's a simple enough pattern, I can usually find a stitch to substitute.

For instance, I'm going to try a BICO in an open shell stitch for my daughter for the summer. It's a very easy pattern, so it should be easy enough to achieve.

For your needs, you could find a stitch you like, then find an easy triangular shawl pattern, and futz with it until you get it looking okay as a headscarf size thing. Then you'll know it's good to go as a shawl.

You'll have the added benefit of giving her an original design, too, which is always nice.

Archived