soooooooooooooooooooo excited

My friend emailed me last week to tell me her brother and his wife are pregnant. And she asked me tonight to make the baby a blanket!

I am soooo excited.

The baby is the first grandchild on both sides of the family.

so PLEASE point me to all your FAVORITE blanket patterns!:cheer:c9

i like v-st pattern

mile-a-min pattern

corner style st. pattern

large granny sq. pattern

which are all nice pattern styles.

jaye

One of my favorites is the Heirloom Blanket from Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies. It's easy to do, but looks fantastic!! My congratulations to the new parents.

Lindsay, for a unique baby blanket, you could choose a doily pattern (I recommend ones that are 6-8" using size 30 thread, or 12-16" w/ size 10 thread) with stitch patterns that do not have too many open "holes". Simply Soft is a good yarn for this, and so is Bernat's Softy Chunky. My personal favorite (because it's so mind-numbingly easy that I get it done in a day or three, depending on my distractions) is the Plate Doily, 1916 on Celt's Vintage Crochet. It's a simple spiral pattern that works up fairly quickly. I'm teaching my beginning students how to read patterns following this one (although, I had to update it, first, because the notations are a little "off"). Whenever I make this blanket, I leave off the edging rows because it's beautiful enough without them, and it's gender-neutral. I've made four of them in the last year and a half.

Doilyghan.jpg

(Yes, the date on the pic is accurate...I made dd's blankie a year ago this month. Please ignore her toys off to the side!)

I did Noah's Ark for my first grandbaby and everyone at the hospital loved it. My daughter had nurses coming in asking to see the blanket because someone else had made a comment about it. It's the most used blanket she has and of course it makes me proud seeing her use it as much as she does. She even had his first picture made in it, he's 5 months old now. Sorry I don't have a pic but I can get you one if you want. The pattern is really really easy and if you need help I'll gladly help you.

Fonda

I love anything in Terry Kimbrough's "The Best of Terry Kimbrough's baby Afghans" She has such gorgeous baby afghans that are true heirloom quailty.

I also love the "Candi Babies" book. Those are my two favorites!

Lorry

It depends on if you want elegant or fun. You could pick any doily pattern for an elegant lace but that one is AWESOME! I really love it.

My personal favorite which will be used the most (at least I would think so) is the Reverse Rainbow Round Ripple like I made for my Mom :c9 for her Birthday

81-2ftrainbow.jpg

If you do it with the red on the end you can fold it in half and lay it out as a rainbow - how cool is that!?!?!

As a side note - It was last month that Mom discovered the blanket was round!!! She sat in her comfy chair and pulled and pulled the 8 1/2 foot round blanket out of a box less than 2 feet square! LOL I really stuffed it and got all the air out - it was the only box I had LOL When it finally got warm enough to fold it up was when she noticed!

She just loves the way the rainbow brightens up the room. For me, When somebody loves something I make so much that they're going to use it and love it forever it makes every stitch all worth while!

ohh that looks like what her and I were just talking about...but in pastels.

She just said her brother and wife are going to find out the sex. hehehe so it might be more than 1 blanket lol.

those dont take long at all. I lesiurly did my sons spideygahn in 2 weeks.

I have til November

Archived