Hairpin Lace anyone?

My DD and I are just learning this stitch and I want to know if anyone else uses it?

What do you make? How do you join the strips and all that jazz?:think

I know I have a pattern or two in some older crochet mags but wanted to know if afghans and stoles are the only things made from hair pin lace.

Hope some of you out there can help.

We are also going to try Broomstick lace, just as soon as I get an old broomstick sanded smooth.

I just love learning new things about crochet.

Michelle in Southern AZ

I've got a hairpin lace loom. I've only just practiced with it. I haven't made anything yet. in the crochet pattern a day calendar, there are patterns for round table clothes and doilies i believe. also a collar type thing.

I think in stitch diva, there is an amazing cardi-wrap. That's why I wanted to learn how to do hairpin lace, but i'm worried that i'll mess it up.

http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-017

http://www.stitchdiva.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDS-034

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/search.php

might want to check these out, for fun! :-) good luck!

I've seen it sewn onto cloth things, like pillow cases and table runners. I made a pratice piece and use it for a bookmark. They did alot of lacy stuff in the 20's and 30's. Check vintagecrochet.com, that woman has all kinds of old fashioned stuff. I might even have an old booklet on hairpin lace.

Ellie 13

I love all the links and ideas.

Yesterday, I managed to work two strips and hook them together. I'm calling it a fashion scarf-you know just for looks not warmth. :lol

I did find a yahoo group and hope to get some more ideas from them. I could see a tablecloth worked this way. It would definately go faster than the motif TC that I'm working on.

Thanks again.

Michelle in Southern AZ

Hair pin lace is wonderful. I find it really relaxing to do. I have used it in doiles, edgings for pillowcasings and in chokers. My sister did a afghan in it years ago. It was lovely. I saw a dress done in it once at an antique store. It was so striking I almost bought it. But I told myself I could make it if I really wanted to.

I have all my books packed at the moment, But I know there are several older leaflets that were on just hairpin lace.

I tryed playing with the hairpin lace last night. It took about an hour to get it right. Once I figured it out, it became easy enough. So I am going to go ahead and try my hand at the cardi-wrap.

Wow, you folk are busy!

I want to try again today. Not sure what to make, maybe a thread bookmark just to see if I can use thread.

I would love to see the dress you found. It sounds amazing. I'm thinking a baby blanket would be nice. Maybe different colored strips?

Michelle in Southern AZ

I've used hairpin lace to create braids that I used to join granny squares.

I am interested in the CAL, and will be looking for it.

that's a really fascinating idea. How does it turn out? I imagine it looks really pretty.

hm, did it over 20 years ago. it's in a scarf that is now draped over the top of my recliner. I'll give it a wash and see if I can get some pics of it. May be kinda hard to see, as it was in black.

hm, did it over 20 years ago. it's in a scarf that is now draped over the top of my recliner. I'll give it a wash and see if I can get some pics of it. May be kinda hard to see, as it was in black.

I'm sure everyone would like to see it. But don't feel under pressure. Take your time. :)

Archived