Not sure if I should laugh or cry...

So, some months back, I hit this really nice sale at a local Joanns on Caron Pounders. So, as I was in a hurry, I grabbed my double-strand afghan book and figured that 3 lbs should be big enough for any afghan I wanted to make that is a single color. So I bought something like 30+ skeins with 3 of each color.

Fast forward to late last night. I'm looking for my next afghan to make now that I finished my blue star. And I realize that almost all of the single strand afghans need at least 4 lbs!! Oh no!! :eek I guess the double-strands often take less yarn in total!?

While ordinarily I would just laugh it off, since I've heard that a lot of yarns are coming out slightly off as far as colors due to manufacturer changes recently, I'm feeling very sad. :( Especially as any yarn I bought for afghans after that point I always bought in lots of about 3 lbs.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Does anyone know if if the Caron Pounders from 6 months ago are still the same color (other than in name) as the ones available now? I can only make so many multi-colored afghans, and I really wanted to make several single color blankets, which is why I'd bought the yarn like that in the first place.

I was having the same issue. I picked up 3 lbs of rose pink for afghan thinking it would be enough. Then when I started looking online I found that I should have gotten more...except that I bought a $2.44 pattern book last night at Wal-Mart (can't remember the name off the top of my head) that had just the pinapple afghan I wanted. Because it is so lacey it didn't need as much yarn, so I should have plenty yeah!! Let me know if you want the name of the book I will let you know. There were a couple in that book that I should be able to finish with 3 lbs.

I read an old hint recently in one of my vintage books about what to do if you have non-matching dye lots, and this was in reference to actual dye-lotted yarn - use one dye lot for one row, and another for the next row, and the two different dye lots won't be as obvious.

If you have three of one "dye lot" from six months ago, and one new skein, what I'd do is divide the number of rows in your afghan by 4, then do three rows from one of the "old" skeins, then one row with the new skein, working any odd rows that need to be squished in however works in the "pattern". That should hide the any color changes in the new skein in such a way that if they do show up, they look planned.

Or, if they will be two strand afghans, I don't think the color difference will show up at all. I'm making a two strand afghan for my Grandma, using a RH Giant in Aran and a Mainstays in their cream color, and they are two totally different colors, but used together, they look the same.

The new colors of Caron pounders have a little logo on the packaging -- at least, the "New White" skeins do! I needed to buy another pound of Caron white when I was there last night, and two of the pounds were the regular color, and three of the pounds had a starburst image that said 'NEW WHITE'.

I would assume the other colors are the same way, so it should be easy to see which ones will be closer to your 6-month-old yarns.

caron one pounds are pretty stable with their dyelots. i work at michael's and i've noticed huge differences in the simply soft but the one pounds are still the same. in fact, i just had a lady the other day needing another skein of the rose color, and i asked if she needed a certain dyelot (cuz i had to climb a ladder and get it down from the overstock shelves) and she said it didn't matter... and i managed to find 2 skeins and she said they both looked fine. so i wouldn't worry, they're easy to find. =)

Archived