Machine or Hand Sew a Liner?

I'm getting ready to line a bag that I made for a co-worker for her birthday. I'm really terrible at hand sewing and since this is for a gift I want it to look nice. Can you machine sew on a crocheted piece? How does one go about setting their machines for this? I'm still a novice with my sewing machine even tho I've had it 4 years so I would need to practice a bit before attempting on the actual piece.

Any advice?

TIA!:hug

Krystal:hook

I always hand sew my linings. Maybe it would be a good idea to make a swatch and try sewing some fabric to that. It might be easier to sew with the crochet side up so the yarn doesn't get sucked into the bottom of the machine. Maybe lengthen your stitch length and loosen your tension. Just guessing on all this though.......practice on swatches first please!

good luck and waiting to see the finished pics!!

I usually machine sew the lining together, and then hand stitch it into the bag. Use the same color thread as the bag. If you fold it down and then hand stitch it in, it looks very nice. By folding it down, it gives you a straight flat edge to work with.

Good luck.

Let us know how things turn out.

I like to use a contrasting lining. Something that really stands out when you open the bag. But that is just my opinion.

:manyheart

I would think, that if you machine sew, to put the cloth lining on the bottom and the crochet bag on the top so that the feed-dogs (the things that pull the fabric through the machine) don't do wierd things to your wonderfully stitched bag. I'd also use a medium to small stitch length so that you'd be sure to catch the yarn, not just space. I haven't tried sewing any crocheting on my machine before, but it should work if you're careful.

You might want to also try a zigzag stitch instead of a stright stitch.

I always hand sew mine in but have thought many times about doing it with the machine LOL.

Just make a swatch and try differnt stitches and stitch lengths and tensions until you find one that works.

Good Luck!

I have always handsewn the liners in. And Just me, I am not good at sewing either. Those are my Sisters talents, but then again they can't crochet. What I do is iron a flat edge into the rim of the liner, then whip stitch it into place, trying really hard to keep my stitches evenly spaced. I tryed sewing one with a machine once. But I am not good with a sewing machine either and the tension thingy wasn't right and I got a huge knot of thread and it look ugly. So if it is a piece that is going to one of my sisters ( they live 2000 miles away from me) I send the liner unattached with instructions "some assembly required"

I machine-stitch all of my liners and I've never had a problem. I usually use a mid-length, straight stitch.

I sew with the crochet on the bottom and the liner on top. To keep my yarn from catching on the "teeth" on the sewing machine, I pin a piece of wax paper underneath the crochet and sew through it as I sew the lining. The way paper is thick enough to protect your yarn, but it still tears easily away from the bag once you're done sewing.

I also usually remove the foot on my machine, as the crochet is too thick to feed through with the foot there. Makes you go a little slower, but bag-lining is usually a straight-line stitch, so the foot isn't really necessary.

Hope this helps!

I sewed a lining into a bag that I crocheted last year. (white crochet cotton, with a patriotic themed lining inside)

I used my sewing machine. I used a zig zag stitch, and I think I had the fabric on the bottom, and the crochet side on the top. I went really really slow so that if it looked like the foot was going to catch on the crochet stitches, I could hopefully stop it and rescue it.

It turned out great, and the only mistake I did was forgetting to change the color of the thread before I started sewing. (white crocheted bag, patriotic fabric, and LIGHT BLUE thread. I wanted to use either dark blue or white thread) Since the purse was for me, I didnt care so much.

I have another crocheted bag that I just need to figure out what fabric to line it with, and what kind of handle I want on it. Not sure if I want to crochet a handle into the bag, or if I want to do the drawstring again.

i machine sew my linings. i think it looks more professional and it is much stronger. i would match the thread to the yarn. if you are worried about stuff getting weird underneath lower the feed dogs if your machine does that or cover the feed dogs.

I sew with the crochet on the bottom and the liner on top. To keep my yarn from catching on the "teeth" on the sewing machine, I pin a piece of wax paper underneath the crochet and sew through it as I sew the lining. The way paper is thick enough to protect your yarn, but it still tears easily away from the bag once you're done sewing.

What a great idea... I'll have to try that.

Joan

All really great ideas! The wax paper one is great. I know they make rolls of paper for this. Actually, I think my mom uses a roll of adding machine tape when she has to do something like this. That way you won't get the wax into the feeds or all over something. (You probably don't get much, but some I'd guess...) If you want to actually spend money on the 'real' stuff, I'd go to where they have the suplies for machine embroidery and ask.

All really great ideas! The wax paper one is great. I know they make rolls of paper for this. Actually, I think my mom uses a roll of adding machine tape when she has to do something like this. That way you won't get the wax into the feeds or all over something. (You probably don't get much, but some I'd guess...) If you want to actually spend money on the 'real' stuff, I'd go to where they have the suplies for machine embroidery and ask.

paper towels work too... something I learned in the class I got for free from Joann's Crafts when my dad bought me my Husquvarna Viking sewing machine.

These are all great ideas girls! Thank you!!! I'd never have thought of the paper towels, wax paper, adding machine tape, etc....I'm not that creative! And as you can tell, i'm scared to death of my sewing machine since I dont know how to sew. :-(

Krystal

Wow! What great ideas! :hook I have only made one purse. I used my machine to sew it in. But it wasn't easy. The yarn kept getting caught in the foot of the sewing machine. I love the idea of the wax paper! I'll have to try that for the next one that I make. Sounds MUCH easier!

I love getting new tips from you guys! :c9:ty

Archived