Thread Holder

habetlerm

Has anyone found a spindle for holding thread? I'm looking but can't seem find any. It might look almost like a paper towel holder that spins.

I got a couple. One is a wooden paper towel holder that I got from Wal Mart, another is the white metal one they sell. Most times I am working with 2 kinds of thread, so I need the larger holder. Here is the wooden one.:hook

PaperTowelThreadHolder.jpg

I got a couple. One is a wooden paper towel holder that I got from Wal Mart, another is the white metal one they sell. Most times I am working with 2 kinds of thread, so I need the larger holder. Here is the wooden one.:hook

Wow... that's a great idea! :eek

I just drop my ball in a bowl I bought just for that purpose and keep it on the floor next to me as I crochet.

:devil

when my mom crcheted with thread, she would put it in a coffee can and put a hole at the top to put the thread threw. i used the ides and it relly works. keeps it in plae. just an idea

Here is a couple of pictures of my thread holder. My brother made this for me from a picture of one I found in one of the magazines I get. He is so talented that all he has to do is look at something then make it. This also has a place underneath that will hold hooks and yarn needles. The cost of the one he looked at was $29.95 - he made this out of scraps.

threadholder003.jpgthreadholder002-1.jpg

I'm lucky to have a brother so handy!

My dad was that way too. It's times like this I really miss him. Would your brother consider taking orders????

I want to thank all of you for sharing your idea. I've looked on ebay and there is one similar to what I'm thinking about. I'll keep you posted and let me know of any other ideas.

Happy Easter!

Wow, such elegant holders! Me, I just set it on the sofa beside me, or if I'm in the car the thread goes into a plastic zip bag and into the cup holder. Very INelegant. :P

Well at least you use a zip bag, I use a old walmart plastic sack:yarn I do like some of the ones I have seen at Herrshernes but they are so expensive, I want to spend money on yarn and thread...:clap

This is the link of the one I've found on ebay. I liked it because it looks like I can use yarn and thread on it. Just an FYI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160103073022&rd=1&rd=1

Target sells a metal one in different colors for ca. $10. I've seen wooden ones at Big Lots and harware stores. I've also picked up some at thrift stores and yard sales.

The metal one is nice because it weights enough not to fall over when you pull on the thread. Which is nice to take "on the road".

I have attached toilet paper holders, as well as dowels to a tea table at home. Appropriating the table for my thread work means having several projects set up at once, and all in one place!

Katchkan's husband makes nice ones that are heavy.

Here's the link:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23169

I have the double one for balls of thread and am thinking of odering one for thread on cones.

I just won a bid on a thread holder like the one you listed with the Ebay link. I ended up paying $24.00 plus $7.50 shipping/handling. My husband is pretty handy with a saw so he is hoping to duplicate this one with some modifications. I just got it yesterday so haven't had the chance to use it, and surely don't have any energy after all of today's Easter happenings, but am anxious to try it. Seems like it will come in handy and it is built sturdy..

• 2 weeks later...

How do you keep the tension constant on this one? I bought one just like it the other day but the tension gets tight at times.

The only time I have trouble with tension is when I put the large balls of thread on this holder. I have one that I bought from Walmart that is white metal, that holds the larger balls. Otherwise the regular sized balls just slip around just fine.:hook

Here is a picture of the other holder I have. It is between 13 and 14 inches high. I use this one for the large balls of thread. It has rubber on the bottom. I put this on the floor and the rubber bottom helps to keep it steady.

newyarnholder.gif

Archived