Plastic Bag crochet!

Anyone ever tried it? Tis great fun. You can recycle old shopping bags and, hey, it's cheap! I've made my sis a purse, and I 've made a cowboy hat. Here's a link showing how to make the "yarn" http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marloscrochetcorner.com%2FPlastic%2520Bag%2520tote.html

Yup. I've got an old ice-cream tub (washed and dried, of course! :wink) in my stash dresser sitting there with plastic bag "yarn" in it. I started to make a purse last summer, but got busy with other stuff and haven't picked it up since. But eventually, I'll get around to finishing it. :hook

Hi Ellie!

I am a recycled bag enthusiast too. I actually have a website that is dedicated to recycling and crafting. I have many patterns available with lots of pictures and everything is free. Here’s the link http://www.myrecycledbags.com if you want to check it out.

I agree it lots of fun and free materials – you can’t beat that! :hook

Hi Ellie!

I am a recycled bag enthusiast too. I actually have a website that is dedicated to recycling and crafting. I have many patterns available with lots of pictures and everything is free. Here’s the link http://www.myrecycledbags.com if you want to check it out.

I agree it lots of fun and free materials – you can’t beat that! :hook

Sweet! I'll check it out.:)

When I made a purse for my sister, I made the yarn as I went alternating white bags and coloured bags in every colour of the rainbow. And I had a b-day present to give her that cost me nothing.:)

I have made a bunch of plastic bag totes. I used them for gift bags last Christmas. I have a few more to make for this Christmas. It is a lot of fun to work with this kind of yarn.

I just checked out your website, Cindy! Wow, I never would have thought to use cassette tapes! I have some old ones that don't play well anymore, I should try that!

I did this for a "wearable art" project in my art class last spring. I just made a bag and a little pouch thingie for inside. My professor had apparently never heard of such a thing and I got an A. Thank you, plastic bags! That one was a little wonky (first try with the bags), but I'm definitely planning on doing it again. :)

Forgive me for this :lookout but I just can't get into this. I would like to want to do it but I just can't :(

I just can't see the charm :shrug

so what am I missing? :hook

No I haven't tried it because I keep hearing that my (arthritic) hands won't like it. :2nono

I did a tote bag:

th_plastic-bag-bag2.jpg

I like it a lot but it is very hard on the hands. You have to constantly tug and pull on it and my hands cramped up a lot. I attribute working this project, and my tapestry horse purse with giving me the hand/thumb problems I had for 5 months. I don't think I will do it very often and alternate other projects to calm my hands down. But I like the end result and might try a summer hat to wear at the beach.

Hey Ellie --

Post some of your plastic bag creations for us. I'd love to see some of your work!

Yeah, I should. So how does it work on here? Do you have to upload to a site like image shack?

Also, a few questions regarding the cassette tape crochet. Do you find stuff you make from them to be very sturdy? Is it hard to work with?

Yeah, I should. So how does it work on here? Do you have to upload to a site like image shack?

Also, a few questions regarding the cassette tape crochet. Do you find stuff you make from them to be very sturdy? Is it hard to work with?

To insert an image, you need to provide the url where the photo is. So you would need to have it hosted some where to have a photo posted here. As far as the strength of the cassette tapes, I used single strand in this little bag I made that is shown here.

cassettepurse2.thumbnail.JPG

It's pretty strong but because the tape is only about 1/4 inch wide, I believe that it's not quite as strong as plastic bag yarn. I normally cut my plastic bag yarn about 1 inch wide and as you know it's very strong. It's fairly easy to crochet with cassette tape. The single strand is strong enough for purses but for added strength you could double up and crochet with two strands.

Hope this helps. :)

I have seen VHS tapes used as well. It's also thicker than cassette tape. I think I have some inspiration to try something new. Maybe a beach bag?! Better in plastic than yarn, at least I would think so.

One question. Is it more sturdy than yarn? Would it be good for a basket? I guess that's two questions. Sorry.

I was thinking maybe a small trash basket for the office area or a toy basket for the car. What do you think?

I have seen VHS tapes used as well. It's also thicker than cassette tape. I think I have some inspiration to try something new. Maybe a beach bag?! Better in plastic than yarn, at least I would think so.

One question. Is it more sturdy than yarn? Would it be good for a basket? I guess that's two questions. Sorry.

I was thinking maybe a small trash basket for the office area or a toy basket for the car. What do you think?

VHS tape very strong and durable but a bit tougher to crochet with. I have a free pattern and full details on using vhs tape at http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/03/04/crocheted-round-recycled-motif-purse/

Plastic bag "yarn" is stronger than yarn in my opinion. It makes wonderful beach and tote bags. Lots of people make baskets using it too. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, please contact me directly either through my website or here as I'd be happy to help you further.

Good Luck! :hook

Archived