Walmart removing yarn/fabric departments...

Mommy2Max

Same here. It bites, but as usual, there's nothing to be done about it as they don't listen to customers.

I must respectfully disagree that they don't listen to customers. I was in Walmart the other day and spoke to the fabric department manager. She knew about the closing of fabric depts and replacing them with "celebration" centers..but said that due to local customers contacting walmart, that ours would not be going.

Re Hancocks closing: I've heard that Hancocks went into bankruptcy (think I read it somewhere here on the ville) and that they are closing some of their stores.. but not all of them.

Ok, this thread had made me want to reply, since I do work at Wal-Mart.

From what was told to us, only some of the Wal-Marts are doing away with all Craft Sections, while only a few others are just getting rid of the fabric. A lot of these decisions are based on sales. My Wal-Mart doesn't have anything in the works for getting rid of their craft department, though.

I think that if something isn't selling, or isn't selling a whole lot of, then it makes good business sense to do away with the product.

If I hear more on the inside, I can certainly keep all of you posted.

Where I live, wal-mart is just about the only place to get yarn, there is a local quilt shop, but it has only a small limited selection of yarn, and it is a bit pricey. They are in the process of remodeling wal-mart and I guess we have one of the "celebration centers" now. I liked the yarn selection better before the remodel. I think they carry more brands now than before but seems like less selection among they yarn that is there. And it is a bit more expensive than it was before. No fabric at all now other than prepacked stuff like fat quarters for quilting.

Ok, this thread had made me want to reply, since I do work at Wal-Mart.

From what was told to us, only some of the Wal-Marts are doing away with all Craft Sections, while only a few others are just getting rid of the fabric. A lot of these decisions are based on sales. My Wal-Mart doesn't have anything in the works for getting rid of their craft department, though.

I think that if something isn't selling, or isn't selling a whole lot of, then it makes good business sense to do away with the product.

If I hear more on the inside, I can certainly keep all of you posted.

That sounds very reasonable to me. I couldn't imagine that my new Wal*Mart would have included such a nice craft section in a new store to just do away with it a month or so after opening. I'm getting into a bad habit. When I pop into Wal*Mart for a few groceries or shampoo I just have to take a stroll through the yarn aisle. :yes:yarn

My mom-in-law works at the Joplin, MO. Wal-mart & her store is doing away w/ fabrics & keeping the other areas of crafts. Where I live here in Pittsburg, Ks. they are doing the same thing, lucky for me they are keeping yarns. Joplin has a Michaels & Hobby Lobby. Pittsburg only has Wal-mart & 2 quilt stores, they are supposed to be opening a new crochet store here soon & I am eagerly awaiting it's open. Here at my job there is a telecommunication center & they are allowed to crochet & knit on the floor, so crochet here is a huge thing.

Our WM remodeled last fall and has drastically reduced its fabric/crafts section. I e-mailed the company to complain and was politely informed it would be "better" with the new Celebration section. Sez who? I have to drive nearly an hour to get yarn and nearly that far for a quilt shop selection of fabric and some thread, aside from our local WM. Not happy. I'm not happy.

Oh dear! :( I'm going to have to ask the local WM if this is in the works for them. I wouldn't think so. Where I live, people do crafts a lot. Especially sewing, knitting, and crocheting. I guess I could understand them getting rid of the measurable fabrics, but the yarn! They seem to have a hard time keeping the popular colors of yarn in stock. It sells well for them! I can't imagine they would get rid of it. Buuuut... it's WM, so you never can tell...

• 2 weeks later...

My Walmart in Roseville, MI is discontinuing the craft department. There was not one shred of fabric left, just a huge empty space where the sewing department used to be. They still had some yarn and other crafts but the yarn that was on clearance was not priced low at all. The cashier told me that craft departments would be in Walmarts that were open for 24 hours a day. I'm not happy because that store is just a few blocks from my house.

Carol

I went to the Walmart in Marrietta, OH and all the yarns were regular price and it didn't look like anything was being discontinued. I'm glad but at the same time I wanted to buy yarn at markdown prices.

Our WalMart just moved into a new supercenter. I was shocked to see the crafts after the move. One aisle! No fabric or ribbon. The yarn was 1/3 of what they had before. I was so dissapointed.

Archived