Miscellaneous Afghan CAL

BarbaraJean

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all who've posted finished projects, they look great.

Krystal, I can't wait to see that dragonfly afghan come together. That's a pretty square, er, rectangle.

Joyce

i kinda gave up on the budghan - for whatever reason he's not talking to me again. We've had a difficult relationship since I was 10 and my parents divorced. i just called him to say "can we talk and I love you dearly - you're my daddy"

hopefully this will sort itself out and i'll have the budghan for xmas. i think i'll make him the crocus doily for fathers day for his side table next to his recliner.

Finished another square to the kids-ghan. Only 5 more to go and ran out of black(MC)....hoping to goodness I have more at home, or I'll have to wait till next weeks order to come in to finish....argh....

So until I know for sure, I'll work on the motifs that have to be sewn onto the blank squares. That'll actually get me further ahead. Cuz then its just assembly once the squares are done. Here's a pic of what I have done so far....

http://bizzycrochet.blogspot.com/2007/06/kids-afghan-in-progress.html

biz

i kinda gave up on the budghan - for whatever reason he's not talking to me again. We've had a difficult relationship since I was 10 and my parents divorced. i just called him to say "can we talk and I love you dearly - you're my daddy"

hopefully this will sort itself out and i'll have the budghan for xmas. i think i'll make him the crocus doily for fathers day for his side table next to his recliner.

Aww, sorry to hear that. I hope things work out between you. :hug

RoseRed, I hope things do get worked out for you.

Bizzy that afghan is AMAZING. Are you using a pattern. I'm going to check it out again so I can stare more than I could at work

Joyce

I'm happy to report that the Dazzleair afghan is finished. I've started a second Stained Glass Windows afghan (first panel is almost done) and a blue and brown round ripple.

Oh - I love it - what beautiful colors !!

Krystal - your red/white/blue is so pretty - whoo hoo !! I can't believe you are starting another one already - wow!:woo

Rosered - I was thinking about the Budghan just a couple of days ago and was wondering how it was coming. Sorry that you are going through a rough time with your dad. :hug

Okay, ladies, I'm in a mess and need your opinions. I know my explanation may not be very well worded but I'll try.

The afghan I'm working on presently, Sweet Dreams, is a bust! I messed up by not checking my gauge.

The finished afghan is supposed to be 36" X 45". It calls for a size G hook and 37 oz. Worsted Weight Yarn. I'm using a size I (i). I can't imagine that the hook difference caused this problem - perhaps somebody will know if it did.

I have 4 skeens of this navy yarn. The package was marked Mill Ends, 1 pound. I took that to mean each skeen was 16 oz. Wrong again?

Tonight I decided to measure the afghan as I'm nearly finished the second skeen and I can tell that it's not going to be right. So... it measures 90" X 30"!! I went back to check my original chain and it is correct - 224 chain stitches.

I suppose I could finish it with the yarn I have but it's not going to look right. The border itself will measure 4 inches so I would end up with an afghan that is much longer than it is wide. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions what to do with it? Or do I just frog it and move on? :cry:thair:sigh:worried

sweetdreams.jpg

Okay, ladies, I'm in a mess and need your opinions. I know my explanation may not be very well worded but I'll try.

The afghan I'm working on presently, Sweet Dreams, is a bust! I messed up by not checking my gauge.

The finished afghan is supposed to be 36" X 45". It calls for a size G hook and 37 oz. Worsted Weight Yarn. I'm using a size I (i). I can't imagine that the hook difference caused this problem - perhaps somebody will know if it did.

I have 4 skeens of this navy yarn. The package was marked Mill Ends, 1 pound. I took that to mean each skeen was 16 oz. Wrong again?

Tonight I decided to measure the afghan as I'm nearly finished the second skeen and I can tell that it's not going to be right. So... it measures 90" X 30"!! I went back to check my original chain and it is correct - 224 chain stitches.

I suppose I could finish it with the yarn I have but it's not going to look right. The border itself will measure 4 inches so I would end up with an afghan that is much longer than it is wide. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions what to do with it? Or do I just frog it and move on? :cry:thair:sigh:worried

sweetdreams.jpg

I have no advice for you but oh, do I feel your pain. I don't know if it is possible, at this point, to change course and make into something smaller (lapghan, baby blanket) but :hug to you. I hope someone has advice for you.

Joyce

Well, BarbaraJean - it was a combination of the hook size and the yarn. Those mill ends at ACMoore are often Caron One POunders and that yarn IS thick. However, if you say the afghan says 36", that's CRAZY! Even if you used baby yarn, that wouldn't have been right. There's not much you can make with a 90" width, except perhaps the base of a poncho, but even that would be large. I'm afraid you're going to be in :frog ville for a while.

Well, BarbaraJean - it was a combination of the hook size and the yarn. Those mill ends at ACMoore are often Caron One POunders and that yarn IS thick. However, if you say the afghan says 36", that's CRAZY! Even if you used baby yarn, that wouldn't have been right. There's not much you can make with a 90" width, except perhaps the base of a poncho, but even that would be large. I'm afraid you're going to be in :frog ville for a while.

:yes That's what I'm thinking too. I don't think I have the heart for it just yet. I'll probably stuff it in my yarn box and do it some other time.

I might start a baby afghan.

Joyce, thanks for the hug. I need it!! ;)

BarbaraJean, I discovered while I was attempting to make the 63 square afghan that the size changed from the time I made my initial 7" ch to halfway through the block depending on the stitch of that block. So apparently the stitch makes the difference.

Would you be so kind as to remove the blue and brown round ripple from the list? After working on it some, I decided that I don't want to do another round ripple right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to make with it.

BarbaraJean, I discovered while I was attempting to make the 63 square afghan that the size changed from the time I made my initial 7" ch to halfway through the block depending on the stitch of that block. So apparently the stitch makes the difference.

Would you be so kind as to remove the blue and brown round ripple from the list? After working on it some, I decided that I don't want to do another round ripple right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to make with it.

No problem since I need to remove my Sweet Dreams afghan too. ;)

Thanks Joyce. Yes I am using a pattern. Years ago (before my conscience got the better of me) I copied it out of a book "Hooked on Afghans". I believe it was published 1997 by House of White Birches. I googled it and you can get the book on Amazon anywhere from $1.96-$14.95. They had some absolutely adorable kids afghan patterns in there. A few of them slightly challenging.

I have made this particular afghan over and over and everyone absolutely loves it every single time. Its only 12 squares which work up super fast and then its the little motifs. Each square is a different shape/number that ends up counting to twelve. 1-Heart, 2-Bells, 3-Stars, 4-Gingerbread men, 5-Ice Cream Cones, 6-Ovals, 7-Diamonds, 8-Triangles, 9-Rectangles, 10-Rings, 11-Balloons, 12-Squares.

Normally I use a regular Red Heart WW for the MC, but this time I tried the TLC Amore yarn. It's really nice and soft. (which i found an extra almost full skein of at home, but will have to buy at least 2 more to finish it)

This is one of my favorite afghans to make. They currently live all over the world due to charities and missionaries. :D This afghan is going to live in LaCrosse, WI with a little boy named Philip who was born a couple weeks ago.

Drumroll please.....

:clapI'VE FINISHED THE LAST SQUARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap

:bow

Thank you, thank you. Now to go join them......

I'M SO EXITED!

YAY!!!!!!! :clap

Biz, thanks for the info on the afghan. It's just gorgeous

Joyce

Here are a couple of photo's of finished projects.

This is the blue and yellow baby afghan. I finallyfinished it. :clap Dead lines help. ;) The baby is due at the begining of August.Emilysbabyafghanfull.jpg

Emilysbabyafghandetail.jpg

Here is the RR Rainbow baby afghan I just finished for another young friends baby due in July. Boy do these work up fast. It only took about 3 evenings to do.

TabithaBabyafghan2007.jpg

TabithaBabyafghan2007detail.jpg

I guess you are going to have to mark me down as done for a couple more Barbara Jean.:yes

Here are a couple of photo's of finished projects.

This is the blue and yellow baby afghan. I finallyfinished it. :clap Dead lines help. ;) The baby is due at the begining of August.Emilysbabyafghanfull.jpg

Emilysbabyafghandetail.jpg

Here is the RR Rainbow baby afghan I just finished for another young friends baby due in July. Boy do these work up fast. It only took about 3 evenings to do.

TabithaBabyafghan2007.jpg

TabithaBabyafghan2007detail.jpg

I guess you are going to have to mark me down as done for a couple more Barbara Jean.:yes

Both of those are great but I really love the blue and yellow. What neat effect the varigated yarn made between the two colors! Congratulations!

sweetdreams.jpg

Hi BarbaraJean

I think:think that most likely the difference in the sizes of the crochet hook, made the difference in the size of the 'ghan

**When a pattern calls for a G hook, & you want to use an i hook, it might have did it, but------- if you do decide to :frog and make it over with a G hook, & then, it is still too big, then the pattern is really really wrong,:angry :angry :eek:think

Archived