How quickly do you crochet?

Krystal

I see all these beautiful afghans in this comm, and I have to tell you that I feel a bit intimidated. I'd love to try my hand at one, but I feel like t would take years to finish!

So my question to all of you is....

How often do you crochet (an hour a week? 5 hours a day?)

and how much do you usually get done in that time? (a dishcloth? an entire outfit?)

It depends on the project. If it's something that I have done alot of, say a granny square, then it's pretty quickly. If it's something new or complex, I'm slow as a turtle in mud. I like to crochet at night, when my hubby watches tv and my little girl is in bed for the night. I can usually get 2 hours of uninterrupted "me time" in before I fall asleep.:yay Though I have been known to fall asleep with hook in hand :night

For me, a baby blanket will take approximately two weeks, that is if I work on it every day. I have made an adult afghan in one week, but that was a rush, rush gift. Sometimes, like now, I am working on a baby afghan that is still not finished even after a month. It is not a priority item.( I have until the middle of March to finish). I would find a pattern that inspires you and just go for it. It may take you a week, a month, or longer. Whatever the time it takes is well worth it!

I only work for about two hours a night, sometimes one. I was able to get two or three rows done a night on my baby blanket. The blanket was easy though. I memorized the pattern by the fifth row. I haven't made a large afghan before. I'm a little intimidated by them myself. I'll stick to the smaller projects. My baby blanket took my one and half months, but I didn't work on it every night. I did other things in between. And some days I didn't even crochet at all. Like chichiwawa said, it depends on the pattern. And like TX CrochetLover said, I would just pick one you like and go for it, if that's really what you want to do.

I usually crochet an hour in the morning before I go into work. Plus, I try to squeeze in a couple hours every night...but sometimes it's more like a half hour to an hour.

I think it depends on how the pattern tends to flow for you that'll determine how fast you move. I've discovered that when I try to work at a fast pace, I end up making mistakes and spend more time frogging than crocheting. So, now I just take it a stitch at a time and find that I make a lot less mistakes that way.

An idea of my pace I've been crocheting at lately is I started a ripple afghan on the 10th...and I'm currently on row 42.

Aimee

A 35"x35" baby blanket takes about 2 weeks for me (I just finished one with a deadline, so I know I took two weeks! Of course, that was working on it every day without fail and doing a bit more on the weekend). Average size doilies I can usually do in a week; if they're a little more complex or larger, 2 weeks; if they're huge and/or complex, 3 weeks; if they're on the small side, I can finish them in 3-4 days.

I'd say on average, I get about 2 hours of crochet a day, about an hour and a half while 'watching' TV with family, and another half hour in 5 min. increments throughout the day. Some days I get no crocheting time at all because I'm just too tired.

I crochet every chance I get. Sometimes it's for an hour, other times more. How much I get done depends on the pattern. Some take longer than others. But, I wouldn't be intimidated. I'm sure your work is beautiful. If I have a large afghan or a time consuming one, I usually have a simple WIP or two to so I don't get bored with it. I've had larger projects take a couple of months. So if I were you, I would go for it. If it takes a while, so what. The most important thing to me is the enjoyment I get from crocheting.

You could always try to find one that uses buky yarns and a large hook. That should make it work faster and you may not get bored with it. I have made several afghans just basic stitches but I always wind up stopping in the middle and then picking it up agian several months later. Just leave it out where you will see it and you'll pick it back up to work on it again.

Well, I've been known to do a baby blankie in as little as a week, but sometimes it takes me months. I've noticed that I do tend to work faster now than I did a year ago. A year ago, I was only crocheting some now and again. Now I try and get a little in at least every other day, maybe only a half hour, but something. When I get the most done however is when I'm on an airplane. I travel a LOT for work so airplaines and hotel rooms are where I get a lot done. There is something comforting and homey about doing it in a strange place while 'watching' TV. Also, I don't sit still well, so keeping my hands busy while on a plane is a good thing. :blush

Archived