Purse/bag lining?

I've now completed my first two bags ever, and I am going to tackle the lining part tomorrow (I don't sew, but I need to learn). My question is this:

For those of you who have done linings, do you use regular fabric? When I say "regular" I mean the bolts and bolts of inexpensive calico-or cotton-type stuff (I'm not sure of the name) they have at WalMart, JoAnn's, etc. I'm mostly worried about the thin-ness of the fabric. I don't want the lining to not be durable.

Any advice, tips, or experience is welcome! :) Thanks in advance.

its been awhile since i have made a bag but the last 2 I hand sewed then stitch it into the purse.

One was a 100% cotton I had lying around. it was a scrap piece but the purse was only a tiny one for dd.

then the second I used a lite weight upholstry fabric and I really like that much better.

I have used satin but I used fusible interfacing on the reverse side to make a bit stronger.

you can go with basic fabric if you use a strong interfacing.

i have lined many purses and what i do is i get some material that is pretty strong, l then i fold it and sew it, either by hand or machine, if yiou do it by hand make sure you use a fabric glue too to hold it together . good luck:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

I would also recommend washing the lining first (with salt even) to check the colour doesnt run and to set the colour. Would hate to spill something on the bag and have the colour from the lining ruin it instantly!!

I've only ever lined one purse so far... but you'll never guess what I used.

Scraps from a bedsheet! :lol

Seriously! I had bought and dyed it myself to make curtains for my kitchen cabinets and used the scraps for the purse lining.

I was worried about how hard it was going to be to sew it in, but I found it easier than I'd thought it'd be.

I found some really pretty, but thin, fabric for lining a purse. What I plan on doing is fusing it together with a plainer fabric and some light or medium weight fusible interfacing.

I'll probably use muslin as the backing fabric, as it's pretty sturdy, but not too stiff.

You can also sew a layer of plastic canvas between your fabric and your crochet, if your crochet stitches are tight enough for the plastic canvas not to be seen.

If you plan on using your purses throughout the season/year without changing them out- you might want to consider lining them with denim, duck, twill or canvas. I use these fabrics often because I DO tend to carry a purse till it's falling apart.

On the other hand, I have had great success with plain ole $1 a yard from Walmart fabric. If it's super thin just make the lining doubled.

I sew the lining together with my sewing machine but ALWAYS stitch it into the bag by hand. It's really easy to just whip stitch the top in place.

Go to your local library and pick up any book on embroidery/sewing. They all have a section for hand stitches.

I have made many purses and used any kind of fabric. I usually check the remant basket. I have also used Fat Quarters for smaller purses. Never had any problem with the lining ripping. I machine sew the piece together and then turn the purse and the lining inside out before I hand sew to purse.

I usually just use cotton, but my crocheted bags aren't for everday. I do make a lot of fabric bags, also out of cotton, but they have two layers of cotton and some flat cotton batting in between. The only thing I have ever had wear out is cotton handles, even with the two layers and batting.

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! I have no clue what interfacing is but I can look it up. Thank you all so much!

Archived