I can't believe this happened!!!!

What a completely classless person to say those things to you - especially in front of a child who was so proud to have chosen the yarn for her poncho... I'm proud of you for keeping your cool:devil as I don't know if I would have been so gracious!

I feel the same way. Why is there such a negative response to crochet? I just don't get it. I have always heard "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". And I have lived by that.

That lady was very rude. You were very gracious!

:manyheart

I don't get it, either.

I'm learning to knit, and some of the fuzzier "novelty" yarns are easier to work with with the evil pointy sticks than they are with a hook, but that doesn't mean all crochet is done with acrylics.

Now, I don't think I'd want to wear a sweater made with RHSS next to my skin, but as outerwear, why not? Sturdy, long-lasting, washable - everything fancy-pants wool isn't.

Now, when I want a date-night sweater, I'll get some fancy-pants yarn!

I knit and crochet so hearing things like this always annoy me. I have found that I don't like working with 100% acrylic most of the time (though I may have found one that I like and will be trying soon). Just the way I am, but I have work with many blends that include acrylic and it doesn't bother me. In fact, out of the 4 wearables I am making (2 knit, 2 crochet) all of the yarns have some amount acrylic in it. Also if you go to knitting blogs (where people actually knit), I think you will find more people using acrylic then you might think. They are not as loud as acrylic-haters, but they are there none the less. I would like to end saying this: I like alpaca better than wool so there.:P:lol

I just bit my tongue and said, "Yes, we crocheters are talented enough to pull it off. I guess knitters aren't that versatile!!!!!! Jessica

:clap :clap :clap Good for you!

I really don't understand the yarn snobbery either. I use the right yarn for the right project. If I'm making an afghan or baby things or childrens things that I know will get tones of abuse and frequent washings, I reach right for the acrylic (usually Red Heart). If I'm making scarves or sweaters I might go for a nicer yarn. I only use wool when I know the person using it will understand the care instructions.

One thought I had is maybe since it takes so long (we it does me) to knit something they feel they can only commit so much time to a natural fiber. Face it, they can't pump out the volume a crocheter can. We are more than happy to hook up a nice "cheap" yarn cause we know we can hook up an expensive one just as fast if need be. Maybe it's a time commitment on their part :shrug

I both knit and crochet (prefer crochet) and have never understand why some folks are hatin' on acrylic so much. I can't work with wool--my hands start turning red and itching. I love cotton, but it really needs to be blended (I love it blended with acrylic actually) to have not be so heavy. So acrylic is ideal for me. And even if I didn't like it, I would never say that to someone! Some people apparently didn't get any of what we in the South call "home training," or manners. You, however, did have manners and handled the situation very well!

Maybe I am just completely ignorant. I've been crocheting for a few years and I am trying to learn to knit also. I don't understand what the bias against one textile art from another. I know a few knitters who actually say they wish they could crochet so they could put nicer edges on some of their projects. As for people being biased against certain types of yarn, that makes no sense either, at least not to me. Who is going to spend a fortune on wool for a baby blanket or hat or onsie when these get washed constantly, which could turn into felting if the owner is careful and when the baby or someone else could be allergic to it? And why use cotton for these things, it has the potential to shrink. Besides all of that, I like really bright colors and those are most easily found in the red heart section.

I can understand the yarn snobbery.....I, too, have heard the lure of wool but how much wool can you have in your wardrobe...especially in Texas! I couldn't afford the cleaning after buying the yarn and forget hand washing and drying flat......I WORK FULLTIME.....I'm NOT spending my free time doing laundry by hand.....didn't that go out with washboards. That $1100 device in the laundry room the saves water and electricity and has all the latest human technology in it had better prove it's worth. And where is all this flat space I'm supposed to have to "dry flat".....it ain't in my house....No big flat rocks by the water's edge here.

Personally I wonder where all the wool projects go.......Most of the knitters I know are constantly making gifts and rarely ever make anything for themselves or their family.

Well just my 2 cents worth........no one need pay attention and get hurt feelings.

This is what I love about this place! You can come here, vent about something and get about a hundred :hug "It's OK, we know what you're talking about and like you/respect you etc."

The LYS I go to on occasion (abut a half hour away) is worked by at least 1 crocheter and 1 knitter. I was talking with the knitter and she was saying how the crocheter was trying to teach her (thread I think) and that she could barely see the yan let alone work with it! I must admit, knitters do get some of the best patterns though. Guess I have to start trying to figure out how to do some of this in crochet....

Some people will say anything, won't they? My daughter the knitter uses a lot of acrylic yarns, too, because she is very allergic to wool. (She can't even wear a lined wool coat since she would need to wear gloves just to put it on and couldn't let any of it touch exposed skin.) I think some people are fiber snobs in addition to being yarn snobs.

Archived