Silly Rabbit! Trix are for Kids!

Tapanga

I dub thee Trix! Everytime I see this yarn I think of the cereal Trix. Makes me giggle!

This is my first dye job and I used 3 different colors of Kool Aid.

It turned out bright and orangie and completely different than I thought it would. And I found it to be totally addictive.

I used LionBrand Fishermans wool. Each is an 8oz skein, so I was able to make 2 4oz skeins of wild and wonderful color.

Now I just need to figure out what to make with all this wool!!

Koolaidyarn.jpg

I soaked the yarn in hot water and a glug of vinegar for about 30 minutes. I used Kool-Aid mixed in just warm water. I used a bulb syringe (for babies with stuffed noses) and "painted" the yarn. When I was done I moved it to a pyrex dish and microwaved for 2 minutes, cooled for 2 and repeated until the water was clear. I let it cool until I could handle it and then I rinsed it and let it dry. And Taaa Daaa!!!

Would it work on cotton? I'm allergic to wool. And does the koolaid fade, or stay as bright as when you start it. It sounds like fun! I have some white Patons grace that would be fun to try it with. One last question. When you painted it with the bulb syringe, did you try to be "specific" or just kinda drip the color all over the yarn...I've never done this before, if anyone can direct me to a site or something with more comprehensive instructions, that'd be great! Thanks a bundle!

Would it work on cotton? I'm allergic to wool. And does the koolaid fade, or stay as bright as when you start it. It sounds like fun! I have some white Patons grace that would be fun to try it with. One last question. When you painted it with the bulb syringe, did you try to be "specific" or just kinda drip the color all over the yarn...I've never done this before, if anyone can direct me to a site or something with more comprehensive instructions, that'd be great! Thanks a bundle!

I have read that it will not work with cotton and that you would need a different type of dye. But I have read on this forum (if you do a search on Kool-aid dyeing) that some people have done it on cotton and it worked just fine.

Since I am pregnant, I didn't want to mess with any of the other more chemical dyes so I stuck to food coloring and Kool-Aid. I have not washed it yet, but as far as I understand, it is colorfast.

When I painted it I tried to make a pattern, and when the colors bled together it made more of its own pattern than mine.

I used these sites to try and figure it out.

http://www.reenieart.com/painttutorial.htm

http://www.gaea-creations.com/koolaid.html

http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/basic-howto.html

PM me if you have any questions and I can tell you more in detail how I did it.

Archived