Just tossing this idea out there

minwifeof4boys

...most of you know that I do a mystery CAL to help folks learn to graph/ change colors... well.... I happen to have a rough time with thread work... and I htought maybe if one of you Threadies took up the challenge you could do a Mystery thread CAL for us non threadies to learn the basics... I learn best by not having to look at the big picture or having a stopping place each day so I don't get overly frustrated.... anyone want to pick up the challenge???? Something simple to start with?????

:hook

That does sound like a great idea but I am not talented enough to make up patterns....all I can do is read and follow....I do hope someone does do a CAL for us:)

I wish I could find someone who could write up a pattern for filet crochet with my dd's name....I am really bad trying to do it all on my own...so if there is anyone out there who can do this....please PM me or send me an email....thanks

I too am wondering how this would help someone learn to do thread. Thread crochet is a feel not technique. We crochet all our stitches just like everyone else, only on smaller scale. That's just picking it up and working with it until you become comfortable with it. There is no magic trick to it.

~sheesh prima donna threadies~~:D One of the things I do with the graph along is to take it in small steps so the big picture doesn't seem so ..well... big.....So I was thinking a small project in steps would not seem so overwhelming....

Most of us threadies recommend small projects, Bookmarkers, snowflakes and such to start getting the feel of thread. But It's nothing they don't already know how to do. Just the medium that feels strange.

It is often recommended to join the bookmark or the snowflake CALs

If someone wants to do a Mystery Cal thread crochet that's fine, It might be fun for some people. But telling some one to ch 25, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and in each ch st to end. Isn't going to teach them how to do thread crochet.

...Thanks for the input Kathy I truly raise my hand to the fact that I don't know or do thread well at all... an avenue I would love to explore more and "get the feel " for...

...Such a novice that I didn't understand it was a feel not do thing...

Thanks bunches...

A good way to start is to try the # 3 thread with a small hook, like a d or c, just to get used to the feel of something so skinny. Then switch to a # 7 hook and a # 10 thread. You could do any regular pattern, you could even start with a granny square, just for practice, just because it is easier and familiar to do.But the stitches, instructions are the same, just really skinny/thin. :U I'll look for something now.

Most of us threadies love to encourage others to join our addiction. Makes us feel better not being the only one's addicted. Any one who wants to learn thread will always find lots of encouragement here.

One of the things normally stressed, is you all ready know how to crochet. Just ease down in size of hook and thread. If you can do a pattern you are familar with it's actually easier and less threatening.

It's a shame thread crochet has this msytic that makes it seem different. It's all crocheting................ and it's all wonderfull................:hook

Beautifully stated Kathy!

Just a question Lea, to be able to do a cal, it would have to be an origional pattern of mine right? Not a CAL pattern from somewhere else? And if it needs to be an origional pattern, would you want to do the # 10 thread which is skinnier, or the # 3 thread, which is alittle thicker? Let me know, I'm sure I could whip something up if I think hard enough...:scared say a prayer... :idea:hook

I can sort of get by with a decent #3 thread .... but when I try # 10 then its all loose... AND I don't totally understand the hook size thing...I inherited my great grams and the two hooks I have say 2 and 1.65..... my crochet language is H or G etc.....

and do they need to be steele or do all thread hooks come that way...?

I can sort of get by with a decent #3 thread .... but when I try # 10 then its all loose... AND I don't totally understand the hook size thing...I inherited my great grams and the two hooks I have say 2 and 1.65..... my crochet language is H or G etc.....

and do they need to be steele or do all thread hooks come that way...?

The size of the hook is what counts. A size 2 hook is normally a 2.25 mm equivalent to a size B hook. your 1.65 is most likely as size 7 hook and works well with size ten thread. If you work to loose use a smaller hook. I work to tight so I use a larger hook than normal. We all find our comfort zone. I prefer steel hooks they seem to glide on thread better. Just as with all other hooks different brands have different feels. I prefer a boye hook and want to throw a Susan Bates across the room. for other it's the opposite.

Good thread makes a difference. Cheap thread works but not well. To learn use the best tools possible.

the only hooks I've seen for thread are steel. So # 3 then? What type of project...usable, like accessories, or household item? any direction you want to go in? Believe me, I've had a bazillion ideas :D (is that even a word?

...I always use originals... but I guess a freebie could work... yo do have beautiful work though....

you choose Sarah.....

I can buy any size hook I need.... ..I really really want to master this

• 2 weeks later...
...Thanks for the input Kathy I truly raise my hand to the fact that I don't know or do thread well at all... an avenue I would love to explore more and "get the feel " for...

...Such a novice that I didn't understand it was a feel not do thing...

Thanks bunches...

Just a note for all who would like to try.

I kept a steel hook and ball of yarn next to my regular crochet for years.

Every now and then I'd pick it up and try.

I was flustered that my hands didn't want to work the thread.

One day - Poof! it happened! Magic - I could do it. Don't ask me how or why.

I did start with a zero steel hook and 10 thread - might that help?

Sarah - I'm totally confused by your use of letters for thread crochet hooks. I know that a "zero - 0" hook is the largest hook for steel. Help me understand OK?

Archived