hook problems!

one problem im having with hooks is not finding them.

i have been searching for a size L hook for months at walmart, joanns

and i cant find one in aluminum, i only seen plastic ones, but learning from another thread here, they brake:lol or should i say die:blush

i was beginning to think that L hooks dont exist and i imagine it.

i use to have a L hook, but i guess he ran away.:(

another problem im having with a size G hook, my fave. its a susan bates hook (and not to say anything bad about them i love susan bates hooks)

that is about 15 years old, no kidding, and the paint is chipping off from the top, im assuming its from all the use i put in it, but i have the rest of the hooks that came with that set and they are fine. Has this ever happend to you? :blush

sorry for complaining, it just seams weird.:sigh:confused

I don't think you're going to find an L hook in anything but plastic unless you're willing to shell out the dough for a wooden one. There have been many discussions regarding the larger hooks here at the 'ville, and the conclusion is pretty much the same: if you don't want plastic, you're gonna hafta shell out for wooden.

I have an old Boye hook with the paint chipping off of it like you described, though. I've had this one at least as long as you've had your Susan Bates. For a while there, it was the only hook I used. I used it for absolutely everything. Maybe that's why it's chipping? You might have had it the same amount of time as the others, but maybe used it more? I dunno. I just know my Boye's in the same boat as your Susan Bates.

Oh, and might I add, I like the Susan Bates better. So much so that I bought a few plastic ones to try and liked them so much I bought myself 2 of the silvalume sets. But I've only had them about 6 months, so no chipping JUST yet! :P

:cheer Go to the Library and find the books, "The Borrowers" and you will know exactly where all your needles, pins, hooks etc go to.

I guess a crochet hook would make a great pole for fishing so it is probably being used by now.

They probably take all the odd socks too for making clothing and blankets.

"The Borrowers" at wee people who live under your house. They come out at night because it is safer, and they take, well Borrow stuff.

Very interesting stories and a lot of fun.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

here is a link to a bamboo L hook http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Crochet_Hooks-Crystal_Palace_Crochet_Hooks-449.html

here is an ebay listing for 6 hooks all alumin and one is an L

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-pcs-aluminum-crochet-hook-5mm-8mm_W0QQitemZ8288962145QQcmdZViewItem

hopes this help. and if it doesn't do a google or yahoo search for crochet hook L

What is the mm of the L hook? I think that anything over a K hook only comes in plastic or wood....at least to my knowledge...

I got an L, M, and an N aluminum hook at my local JoAnns. They are very much like the Boye hooks and I think they are Sensations brand.

I can't stand the acrylic or plastic ones. Gime me aluminum or wood and I'm a Happy Hooker :hook

You could try rubbing your old hook down with wax paper. Personally - I think the best thing to do is to get another hook. I used my grandmothers old hooks and when I finally bought my own I couldn't believe the difference in how much more smoothly they work without the chips in them.

I absolutely HATE using the Bright Plastic hooks from Redheart. I keep a piece of wax paper with me and I'm constantly rubbing them down to keep them going smoothly.

The Bates hooks in white plastic are TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them in the larger sizes. They are so smooth and comfortable to use. If you have to break down and get plastic - try the Bates.

I got the Lion Brand Plastic in the small sizes - E,F,G and I find they're too short and my hand cramps. They're also VERY bendable. They're the smoothest sliding plastic I've found. Maybe I'll try the larger sizes if I can find them.

Happy Hooking ladies!

Archived