Look what I made!! (more hooks pg 2)

Tracey4610

I decided that I'd try my hand at making some hooks, since I can't seem to talk dh into trying to carve some for me. I had some extra sculpy clay on-hand, leftover from making knitting needles, and so I made a few hooks. Welllll, they're not too bad, great to look at, but they're a bit bendy. I tried making a swatch with them, but you have to use a reeeeeaaaaly light hand with them. The good part is, so far, they bend right back into shape once you're done...I was thinking that if I test them a little further, they might be good for those with carpal tunnel or arthritis...Let me know what y'all think!!

crochethooks001.jpg this is all four of them together. There's a light pink one (the one that looks white), a gold, a black (which looks blue), and a black-and-gold one.

Closeup of the pink...

crochethooks002.jpg

...the black...

crochethooks003.jpg

...the gold...(sorry about the green appearance...still not used to the blue curtains yet)

crochethooks004.jpg

...and the black-and-gold...

crochethooks005.jpgcrochethooks006.jpg

I think to keep them from bending so much, I'll use a wire core next time, or maybe a really thin dowel? :think What do you all think?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the brown (er, it's supposed to be brown) swatch to the right was made with all four hooks...I did three rows with each hook. I have to refine the hook part just a tad when I'm sculpting it, but they work pretty well...You just can't use an extremely tight grip with them.

What a great idea! I have so much clay and can never think of what to do with it. You did a great job. I'm "rough" and I'd be afraid that I'd snap them in half, but they're beautiful! I especially love that twisted spiral one! Very pretty!!

Thanks, all!! I'm going to try to make another batch today and see what I can come up with...I might have some wire somewhere to make a stiffer core to prevent some of the flexibility. The first ones haven't broken yet, but I do need to work on the hook (I didn't come up far enough on the left side, so it makes for some awkward crocheting). I'll post more pics when they're done.

Okay, here is a better pic of the hooks I made yesterday...I discovered that light from the windows made the black look bluer and the gold look greener. so, I closed the blinds this time/ :blush

crochethooks001-1.jpg

These two I made just like the ones I made yesterday, only with a better hook. Unfortunately, when I was testing the black one, it broke--I forgot to seam the clay a little better where the neck meets the handle.

crochethooks002-1.jpg

These two 'beauties' (not sure yet if I like them) have a twisted wire core inside. I didn't have a heavy-enough gauge wire, and I think the twists make it just a tad stronger, anyway. That, and the clay sticks better to it. These puppies are pretty strong, and can rival a plastic Bates hook!!

crochethooks003-1.jpg

All my hooks together (before the second black hook broke :blush)...

crochethooks004-1.jpg

This may sound silly, but have you tried using a coat hanger. Wire hanger that is. Some of them can be pretty strong and you won't get the bend you would get with other wire. Just a thought.:think

Archived