Crochet Cardiagan CAL discussion

I do not want to be messing with the show and tell forum so I am putting this here so we can discuss stuff around the CAL coming up in Feb.

Here is the square I will be using to make the cardigan.

holidaysquares.jpg

It is about 5.5 inches which is what I will need - at least - for this pattern to fit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Darski,

Please tell me more...I would love to make a cardi from squares too, but where do I begin...Do you have a pattern, or is it made up as you go???How to size and what yarn and hook are you using...I am really excited about this...Please let me know,,,I know you are great about sharing.

this CAL (to come) has been devised from a thread in show and tell here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41178

and the pattern that we will be using is here:

http://www.yarnsplus.com/crochet/cardigan.htm

It is easy it seems as you just have to connect squares but it is not overly boxy. i just went for a different square as the original did not float my boat at all :yawn

Hi Darski! I too would LOVE to participate in this CAL, but, I too am "fluffy" and would need a size 2X , do you know how to convert the needle, yarn so it would fit me? If so, I am IN IN IN...

What most of us 2X'ers are doing is making a larger square.

If you go with the original, just keep going until you have a square as large as you need. I used a different square because I just couldn't go with that one.

Roli and Artemis made comments in the show and tell thread about making changes.

We are going to learn as we go. The instructions seem a bit skimpy to me :eek

:lol :lol :lol I understand what you mean about the boring square Darski. The thing I liked about it, though, was the way the ridges showed up on the right side. This ridge pattern contributes greatly to the sweater's ability to conform to the shape of the body because it has a tendency to bend outward.

I really like your new square too and it looks like you kept some of the ridges. It'll be very interesting to see how that develops. And yes, the instructions are a bit skimpy but they are adequate IMO.

This ridge pattern contributes greatly to the sweater's ability to conform to the shape of the body because it has a tendency to bend outward.

Roli, you are such a thoughtful crocheter. I think you are right about the ridge pattern. It gives the block some body.

Darski - thanks for getting us started on a pre-CAL discussion thread! I haven't decided whether my square needs to be bigger.. I think I'll make it a row or 2 bigger, I'd rather have 21" across the back with 5 squares than just 20". I'm already contemplating how to do the edging, I'd like the front to come closer to closing.... must cogitate on this one!

I just needed a place to post the picture of my square. it was so unfair to do that in Artemis's thread.

Roli, I am concerned that I may miss the effect of the full jacket experience by changing the square. but, reality is I would not finish with that square.

Also since the original square is BLO, it isn't chunky but rather "gives" and provides drape.

Here's my single square, done according to pattern at 4 inches, using my Brittany 5.0mm H hook and Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Mulled Wine

Ginny, I love that colour and your square looks great.

Mine was a struggle for every stitch but this is the yarn I have for this project so I had to find another way.

Darski, are you going to be giving out your pattern for that square? Ya know I am not creative enough to figure it out on my own.

Roli, your cardi is WONDERFUL and it looks great on you!! You did a marvulous job :manyheart

this is a link to the page with the original pattern

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/holiday-craft-patterns.html

scroll down to the one called Holiday Lights. it's a table topper.

Now i did play with it just a bit and this is my version

Chain 6 and join

Row 1: ch 3, 2 dc in ring, (ch3, 3dc in ring) 3times, join to 3rd ch of beginning ch.

Row 2: ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, ch 3, sc into ch4 space, ch 3, (2dc in next dc, dc in next st, 2dc in next dc, ch3, sc into ch 4 space, ch 3) 3 times and join

Row 3: ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st, ch 2, sc into ch3 space, ch 2, sc into next ch3 space, ch 2, (2dc in next dc, dc in next 3 sts, 2dc in next st, ch 2, sc into ch3 space, ch 2, sc into next ch3 space, ch 2, ) 3 times and join

Row 4: ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc, sk 1 ch2 space, ch 1, [dc,ch3, dc] into next ch2 space, ch 1, sk next ch2 space (2dc in next dc, dc in next 5 dc, 2dc in next dc, sk 1 ch2 space, ch 1, [dc,ch3, dc] into next ch2 space, ch 1, sk next ch2 space) 3 times and join.

Break off.

I think this is correct. but I did change the last row to be able to join it as I go.

I will work on those directions for the last row when I can think a minute

Ok, I think I can do this correctly

New row 4 for join as you go

Row 4: ch 3, dc in same stitch, ch1, V-stitch in central dc, ch1, 2 dc in next dc, sk 1 ch2 space, ch 1, [dc,ch3, dc] into next ch2 space, ch 1, sk next ch2 space (2dc in next dc, ch1, V-stitch in central dc, ch1, 2dc in next dc, sk 1 ch2 space, ch 1, [dc,ch3, dc] into next ch2 space, ch 1, sk next ch2 space) 3 times and join.

To join to another motif, join with a sc or slst whenever there is a ch1 space in the pattern or in each corner chain 3... for corner join- ch1, sc in previous motif, ch1 finish corner V-stitch.

I have discovered that I have no talent for writing out a pattern. I really do appreciate those who can do it and write it out as well. Love all youse designers :2hug

Thank you JoAnn. :)

Roli, I am concerned that I may miss the effect of the full jacket experience by changing the square. but, reality is I would not finish with that square

:lol Darski, I'm sure you're not missing too much by using your own square. I found the square-crocheting experience a bit mind-numbing myself but just got into the zone like Artemis did. I could never do a whole afghan with squares. :no

Flying Hooks, Your yarn is beautiful!

Okay, I am BOUND and DETERMINED that I am going to make myself a cardigan, NOW I have to do something like this that doesn't call for all this armhole shaping, and such, I ATTEMPTED the Pineaple Ice from interweave Crochet, fall issue, and I am PITCHING it, the yarn and all , It is so frustrating to me, I have been crocheting off and on for many a years, and can't even do this?!?!!??! SO I am thinking a block cardigan, yes, you join the squares, and its not all this tie on a new thread, add 6 chains..at the end of the row chain 9 work back, my stupid chains got all twisted, and all these loose ends, it doesn't look EVEN, and I have NO idea how it could possible look like that cardi when it was done....all this made my head SWIM!!! Thus I am anxiously awaiting a pattern I can do, boxy looking, hey, thats fine with me, it actually helps my figure :lol

:manyheart Yes Darski indeed, a GREAT way to begin. I am going to print out your pattern and take it along to work tommorow night with me and see if I can make up ONE square, and if so, I will post it here and you can tell me what you think.

I REALLY want to make this, I KNOW it is for a feb CAL, and I can wait, but I have to practice ONE square :lol

Darski - thanks for getting us started on a pre-CAL discussion thread! !

I needed a place to put my picture fro now but I am counting on you to open the CAL in the CAL froum.

I meant to address this before but too many CAL's can ruin a girl's thinking processes :wlol

Archived