Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

I can tell you how I do it but this needs an empty TP tube.

Get your tube and snip a small slit on the "top" end.

take the free end of your yarn and let it fall into the tube (a couple of inches) and secure it in the slit.

begin to wind your yarn around the TP tube on a 45 degree angle and keep rotating the tube as you wind.

as the ball gets bigger, you can push it down the tube and it will flatten on the bottom - nice for sitting on the floor.

I always use the last couple of feet to wind (horizontally) around the ball and secure it.

It sounds like you've used a toilet paper tube to reinvent the nostepinne, a Scandinavian ballwinder traditionally made of wood.. The actual nostepinnes taper; I don't know if there's a particular advantage to that. A quick Google turned up this video of someone using a nostepinne to wind some hand spun thread straight off the spindle. Enjoy.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump, this was nearly on page 2.

Where is everyone....

Asleep!!:sleep

...and in my case, dreaming of a different way to join the squears for this latest charity ghan!:yawn

I *wish* I was asleep. In my case, I was up nearly all night with my 3 year old daughter with a headache, stuffy nose and earaches that the medicine didn't affect. It was a looooooooooooooooooong night.

Hope to get a nap today.

I remember those days...I can truly empathize with you, Krystal!!:hug

OK.. I finally got a pic to upload into Photobucket:clap Now lets see if I can get it posted onto her.:think

This is how far I have gotten so far. I am working on the next 16 9-patch squares and hopefully will start to get those and the wedges on in a few days.

Crochetwork-1.jpg

Dianne that is beautiful I love the colors. Dont worry about the photo being so big, I do the same thing because i dont know how to make them smaller either.

Krystal you poor thing, how is your daughter today. Hope she is better soon.:hug

I have done my half blocks and am finishing my last 4 blocks for the corners. When I start my next one Im going to do all these bits first.

What colors is everyone doing for there second one. You are all going to do another one right...:D

Well, this one is on the "slow" burner again. I've got an afghan in progress that's got to be done ASAP (donate) and then another I need to get out ASAP as a gift. So... I'm still waiting on Tracey or someone else (Aussie?) who's finished their corner borders to maybe help me out with the stitch count up the side of the point....

I have done my half blocks and am finishing my last 4 blocks for the corners. When I start my next one Im going to do all these bits first.

What colors is everyone doing for there second one. You are all going to do another one right...:D

good to know how to orgnize my work

second one?? no first one

not yet decided which color

Well, this one is on the "slow" burner again. I've got an afghan in progress that's got to be done ASAP (donate) and then another I need to get out ASAP as a gift. So... I'm still waiting on Tracey or someone else (Aussie?) who's finished their corner borders to maybe help me out with the stitch count up the side of the point....

Krystal Im just doing the corner borders now. Not sure how long they will take.

Hi Lady's back from my little trip and I got my new car. I would go into the details that ya'll wouldn't be interested in, so I will just say it's a Lemans Blue BMW M5. And I love it!

Krystal~ were are you having problems, I will see if I can help you out. The border's on corner's before you attach the last 4 9-patch are a pain, if you don't get the right height on the point it will look squished. I was atttaching and then slip stitching up 3 chains to get extra height for the next row. When you finish the first color of the border you should be to the top of the first square in the 9-patch and the second color to almost the top of the middle square. HTH

Athba Im nearing the end just have to do the corner borders and put the 9 patch on the ends. This is turning out to be quite big.

Tracey Im so excited for you. Wow a new car, congratulations.:yay

Well Im going to bed now. Catch you all later on.

You're welcome for the link. :)

Well, I told myself I should crochet some blues away and I got my first 9 patch done last night with the new colors. I have the side squares attached to 3 more centers as well. This blue matches a lot better, but it's still not a perfect match with my variagated.

I'm learning that I really don't like doing stuff that has lots and lots of ends. It's pretty, but it feels like I spend more time weaving in ends than crocheting! :lol

Archived