Hat crochet-along?

Thanks for the help! I finished the first one and not too bad. I'm going to do a second one because I need the practice and LOTS of it, lol. I'm still not real happy with my joining, but I think that will get better as I go. Plus my guys think the 1st one is not warm enough so the next one I'm going to try the UBW with the two strands.

From shaelynnsmom

If you continue sl st into the dc instead of the ch 3, then you might want to continue putting the dc into the same st as the ch 3.

Because I do the sl st, at Round 6 I stop putting the extra dc in for increasing....since I'm not increasing anymore. Yes, that leaves a small row of holes down the back. That tells kids where the back is of the hat and I personally don't mind it. If you don't want the holes, then do the dc into the same st as the ch 3 and sl st into the next dc and not into the ch 3.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the help! I finished the first one and not too bad. I'm going to do a second one because I need the practice and LOTS of it, lol. I'm still not real happy with my joining, but I think that will get better as I go. Plus my guys think the 1st one is not warm enough so the next one I'm going to try the UBW with the two strands.

You could try a hdc hat.

I have one that is called Scraps Galore at my website.

I've been trying to work this pattern and it is driving me crazy. I used an H hook and worsted weight yarn, and ended up with a hat that might fit a premie. I tried an N and an L hook and they were working up too big, so I froggrd them. I'm trying it now with a k hook, and we'll see.

What yarn are you using? Are you using worsted weight? There is no way that you should come up with a preemie hat with a H hook using my pattern. Did you see the tutorial?

Remember that there are lots of hat patterns out there....sorry they don't like the hat.

Try www.yarncat.com patterns too.

I've started a hat using yarn bee luscious and the size should be fine but I'm a little worried since it seems to just be coming out like a flat disc of fabric lol. I might have gotten too many stitches in there along the way it's a little hard to see where each stitch is in the round before but just wanted to see if that's how it looks till you get a lot of rounds on it or should it be rolling in for the hat by now? I'm on round 8.

The ponytail hat with fun fur really seems to be calling for me. I need to find some of the furry stuff. Clare I love your striped hat.(Goes well with the blanket.)

Christina, Oh hon, not complaining at all :hug they loved the way it fit and it's scads better than any of the others I've made. The last one I made hubby before starting this I had to confiscate and frog (LOL), it was so BAD! I'm still trying to figure out how to get one away from my sil. Maybe if I make him one of these I can get my daughter to sneak it away from him. :lol

They are out in the weather a lot and wanted something warmer is all. I think the hdc you suggested (and maybe 2 strands) will work! Thanks for that suggestion! I think I'm starting to love making hats! :clap

I've started a hat using yarn bee luscious and the size should be fine but I'm a little worried since it seems to just be coming out like a flat disc of fabric lol. I might have gotten too many stitches in there along the way it's a little hard to see where each stitch is in the round before but just wanted to see if that's how it looks till you get a lot of rounds on it or should it be rolling in for the hat by now? I'm on round 8.

Check out the tutorial on the pattern. Click on it... It will show you step by step what it should look like. It starts rolling up at Round 6 and 7.

Christina, Oh hon, not complainging at all :hug they loved the way it fit and it's scads better than any of the others I've made. The last one I made hubby before starting this I had to confiscate and frog (LOL), it was so BAD! I'm still trying to figure out how to get one away from my sil. Maybe if I make him one of these I can get my daughter to sneak it away from him. :lol

They are out in the weather a lot and wanted something warmer is all. I think the hdc you suggested (and maybe 2 strands) will work! Thanks for that suggestion! I think I'm starting to love making hats! :clap

I think Catharine (yarncat) has a double strand hat. Check hers out. I've made them and they are warm. I never wrote up a pattern. My hubby sweats in it. So I guess you would say it's warm. He has to take it off when he's sledding or skiing (cross country). I just designed a ski mask for everyone in family and DH loves that.

The ponytail hat with fun fur really seems to be calling for me. I need to find some of the furry stuff. Clare I love your striped hat.(Goes well with the blanket.)

Go for it! It doesn't take much of the fun fur to make it. You'll only need one skein.

What yarn are you using? Are you using worsted weight? There is no way that you should come up with a preemie hat with a H hook using my pattern. Did you see the tutorial?

I am using Worsted Weight yarn, and I really did get a premie sized hat using a Crystalite plastic H hook. It's a perfect, adorable premie hat though. This is the second hat pattern that I've tried that calls for an H hook and I ended up with a tiny little hat. I didn't think I crocheted too tight, as I have never broke or bent a hook before, but maybe I do. I'm using the K hook now, and I think it's coming out right. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

I checked out the tutorial, and I'm on row 10 now. It looks like the pic to me, except I'm using a K hook to get there instead of an H.

I am using Worsted Weight yarn, and I really did get a premie sized hat using a Crystalite plastic H hook. It's a perfect, adorable premie hat though. This is the second hat pattern that I've tried that calls for an H hook and I ended up with a tiny little hat. I didn't think I crocheted too tight, as I have never broke or bent a hook before, but maybe I do. I'm using the K hook now, and I think it's coming out right. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

I checked out the tutorial, and I'm on row 10 now. It looks like the pic to me, except I'm using a K hook to get there instead of an H.

You must crochet tight....Oh well, can't wait to see your pictures. Glad the preemie hat adorable.:rofl

Thanks, I frogged it and started over from round 2 and now at 5 it is starting to roll. I think somehow I had waaaaay too many stitches crammed in and some spots started to look lop sided. :haha Oh well that's why I'm here. :U

thanks for posting this! :hook

ps- love the rainbow hat clare! beautiful! i am making a blankie for my daughter with nearly the exact same colours! i love working this yarn so bright! :c9

Ok here I finished one, but in the end when I joined I noticed it came to a point. I didn't put the row of sc on yet, because I hoped you guys could give me some feedback. This was the one that fit me, done with the K hook...

hat.jpg

Here is the one done with the h hook...

bhat.jpg

Here's one for size comparison...

hats.jpg

Hope the pics work, it's my first time posting pics.

Thanks!

-Nikki

Ok here I finished one, but in the end when I joined I noticed it came to a point. I didn't put the row of sc on yet, because I hoped you guys could give me some feedback. This was the one that fit me, done with the K hook...

hat.jpg

Here is the one done with the h hook...

bhat.jpg

Here's one for size comparison...

hats.jpg

Hope the pics work, it's my first time posting pics.

Thanks!

-Nikki

I counted the rows on the H hook and it doesn't look like there is enough rows in the beginning rounds.

The hats should not have those points on it at all. I'm not sure what you are doing. Hmmmmm!

Can you take a solid color and try again? Here's the link to the step by step tutorial.

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/warm_winter_hat_tutorial.htm

You should have 5 rounds flat....then on round 6, the hat should start curving upwards.

I'm trying to figure how you are doing this, but it's hard doing it long-distance.

Where are you slip stitching to? Are you slip stitching to the top of the chain 3? After round 5, you aren't supposed to add the extra stitch. It looks like you are still adding the extra st at the beginning of the round.

Thanks!

-Nikki

hmm i carnt help you with the pointy bit but the colors look great !

I think it might be the slip stitching. The first few rows were flat, and it did curve at the 6th row just fine. I'll be trying this one until I get it right. As for these 2 I think I'll just add a row of fun fur at the bottom to hide the mistake. :)

Here's my first one. I think I started adding stitches on it somewhere again lol but it fits and she loves it. I forgot to put the sc around the bottom in my excitement of finishing it and only having to frog it once.:lol I guess I'll have to go back and do that but all in all I think it came out ok.

th_kailahat004.jpg

Archived