Hat crochet-along?

I get the most comments about my hats from my website. I've had many people say they can do my Warm Winter Hat Pattern, when they haven't been able to do other hats. It's just a double crochet hat pattern.

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/warm_winter_hat.htm

I would be glad to work with those who want to learn to do hats.

Anyone interested?

You can do any pattern you would like. I just happen to know this one and can help anyone who wants to learn.

Oops just saw that there was a Newbie Hat Crochet Along started on Dec. 18th. Sorry everyone! I didn't know. This is my first Crochet Along that I've done ever.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hi count me in too :)

i love to make hats they are so easy and quick and i would love to give your pattern a try:cheer thanks for starting the CAL:hug its good for the newbies like me (not newbie to crochet but a newbie to reading patterns)

chat soon

I want to try your "Felted Hat" I have never felted before, but I have the 100% wool yarn. I just don't know how much to allow for shrinkage in the felting process... I have superthick hair, so my head circumference is larger than most (meaning I can't wear most storebought hats... not that I have a big head!!! lol)

So, count me in with lots of questions and help!!

I want to try your "Felted Hat" I have never felted before, but I have the 100% wool yarn. I just don't know how much to allow for shrinkage in the felting process... I have superthick hair, so my head circumference is larger than most (meaning I can't wear most storebought hats... not that I have a big head!!! lol)

So, count me in with lots of questions and help!!

In your case, you might want to make a few adjustments: I marked them in red.

Round 1: Ch 4 (5), sl st tog to make a ring.

Round 2: Ch 3, 11 (13) dc in the ring. Sl st tog. (12 dc(14dc): count the ch 3 as a dc now and throughout.

You want to increase the size of the hat due to your hair..

Christina, I just finished round 5 and it's 5 1/8 wide and has 53 stiches. I think that may be because I'm skipping slstitching into the chain 3 from the last round and slst to the next dc stitch on each round. It looks much better than what it has before.

Also on Round 6 we're no longer supposed to put a dc into the same stitch as the chain 3? Thanks

Christina, I just finished round 5 and it's 5 1/8 wide and has 53 stiches. I think that may be because I'm skipping slstitching into the chain 3 from the last round and slst to the next dc stitch on each round. It looks much better than what it has before.

Also on Round 6 we're no longer supposed to put a dc into the same stitch as the chain 3? Thanks

If you continue sl st into the dc instead of the ch 3, then you might want to continue putting the dc into the same st as the ch 3.

Because I do the sl st, at Round 6 I stop putting the extra dc in for increasing....since I'm not increasing anymore. Yes, that leaves a small row of holes down the back. That tells kids where the back is of the hat and I personally don't mind it. If you don't want the holes, then do the dc into the same st as the ch 3 and sl st into the next dc and not into the ch 3.

I've made hundreds of these hats for the local schools and they don't care about the little holes and the kids tell me the hats keep them warm.

I would like to join this crochet along but I was wondering if you had something for baby sizes also like as in sizes for all ages would be good.

I'm not sure if I totally understand you.

But this hat pattern can be changed by changing yarn and hook size.

I'm guessing, but try using baby yarn and a F hook. The hook size and yarn can easily change the pattern to fit different sizes.

I have made baby hats, but I've never written down the pattern. I've just whipped them out before.

I hope I've answered your question.

I'll try to work on one tonight. My daughter has a doll that has a newborn size head.

babyhatstep.jpgBaby hat backbabyhatst.jpgBack of hat

I would like to join this crochet along but I was wondering if you had something for baby sizes also like as in sizes for all ages would be good.

Okay, I'm working on a baby's hat.

Hook sizes look like this so far:

D or E hook for preemie (depends on how small the preemie is)

F hook for newborn (11-12 rounds approx.) (I don't have a newborn to measure, but the hat could be rolled up if it was too long.)

G hook for toddler (13-14 rounds, guessing)

H hook for children (16-17 rounds)

I hook for adults/older teens (17 rounds)

I'm not sure on how many rounds yet for each size.

Another CAL. What am I getting myself into :lol I want to join too. I just made a few hats for premies but not real sure on making hats so would like to learn and make one for adults too. I'll have to get the yarn to start this week.:hook I've also been looking for something to do with some boucle yarn I've gotten this would be great.

I made a variation on the Dot Matthews UBW hat using one strand boucleand one strand sport weight. The boucle was Lion Brand that was selling for 1$ at Dollar Tree. It was really wild looking. Kind of l like Fruity Pebbles.

Christina, I just clicked on your website . I am going to try your warm winter hat. I really like your boucle one. I gave the boucle UBW I made for a Christmas gift. But I think I would like to make one for my self.

Question---

I've never felted before. I'm using your felted hat pattern with the extra stitches for my gigantic head (hehehe)

I'm using the K hook and a single strand "Patons Classic Wool" (100% merino) I'm using a hdc but there isl a lot of space... looks almost lacey...I wanted something solid...

should I use a smaller hook?

Two stands?

or will all of that shrink with felting?

Thanks!

Question---

I've never felted before. I'm using your felted hat pattern with the extra stitches for my gigantic head (hehehe)

I'm using the K hook and a single strand "Patons Classic Wool" (100% merino) I'm using a hdc but there isl a lot of space... looks almost lacey...I wanted something solid...

should I use a smaller hook?

Two stands?

or will all of that shrink with felting?

Thanks!

I'm not sure because I've only made that one hat. Sc or HDC is better than dc from what I've heard. Here are some felted hat patterns you might want to take a look at.

http://www.dianelangan.com/CrochetPatternFiles/websafenames/feltcab.html

http://www.numei.com/knittingpatterns_FeltedTamBeret.htm

http://www.graftonfibers.com/hatandmittens.htm

I've been trying to work this pattern and it is driving me crazy. I used an H hook and worsted weight yarn, and ended up with a hat that might fit a premie. I tried an N and an L hook and they were working up too big, so I froggrd them. I'm trying it now with a k hook, and we'll see.

Archived