tapestry crochet

danisboots

does anyone want to do a small tapestry crochet item, i just discovered this form of crochet and i am having to much fun with it. if you google (keyword) "tapestry crochet" you will come up with carol venturas homepage on this subject and you can take a look see. also here is a site that sells mayan crochet items which are in the form of tapestry crochet and you might be able to get even a better idea of what its all about and also color schemes and ideas. so let me know what you think?! just off the top of my head i was thinking we might make a hacky sack or a small amulet type bag, so it would not be too daunting of a project for first timers? tell me your thoughts, i'm new here be gentle please! lol dani (a store with mayan crochet items below)

http://www.delaselva.com/sistema/mc01.htm#

You really must have read my mind.

I've been wanting to learn this, and yesterday I bought some wool yarn to try felting...then when I tried to figure out how I wanted to make the bag, I realized I wouldn't be happy unless I could put a pattern in it - and for that I need to learn tapestry crochet. So, one step at a time, I suppose I'll get my bag made eventually....

First step is to learn the tapestry crochet!

I just found this pattern by Carol Ventura that I thought I'd try with some scrap yarn: http://www.creativespotlite.com/crochet/necklace-pouch.htm

Let me know what you think of it! Since you already know how, it may be too basic for you.

we can do the carol ventura bag! the key to tapestry crochet,which i am sure you have already read, is once you have the two loops on your hook to complete a single crochet, then you finish the stitch with the second color. that way when you are finished with the project the stitches will look even and not catty wampus (sp?). and carry your unused yarn inside the sc stitches. also dont use super wash wool for felting it doesnt felt! (thats what i am told). and i was also told white wool doesnt felt? that seems odd to me. i will have to try it since i bought white wool for a felting project along with other colors. if ya get stuck on anything ask and maybe i can help. i am pretty new to tapestry crochet too. dani

OK, when do you want to start making this bag? Want to give it a few days and see if we get some more participants? I'm OK with waiting - just say when!

This is my FIRST CAL! :clap

I think I understand what you're saying about the stitches, but I'm really going to just have to try it and see.

I have so many WIPs right now, it's ridiculous. But this bag is very little, and it might satisfy my curiosity.

I visited the fulling and felting area for instructions, and bought 100% wool - Patton's Merino. Several people have used it with excellent results, so I'm OK there. I really can't start that bag yet, though. I need to finish some other things first - as well as learn the tapestry crochet.... I'll get the felted bag made eventually, but right now I'm going to concentrate on learning the tapestry crochet and finishing my other projects. That way I have an incentive to get some things done!

I'm glad you suggested this. Just tell me when - I'll keep an eye on the thread. :cheer

Count me in! My first post and my first CAL! :yay I made the skull potholders from the SnB Happy Hooker book as a Christmas present and loved the technique, though it wasn't easy. It was so much fun I placed a hold on a tapestry crochet book from the library last week - I do hope it arrives soon.

I’ve also been curious about felting but have a front load washer, will it still work?:think

Linda

I’ve also been curious about felting but have a front load washer, will it still work?:think

Linda

There are a lot of posts discussing this. Several people have had success - why don't you do a search using "felting front washer" and you'll see what they've got to say. Just use the search tab at the top of the screen. ;)

I don't think we're felting this bag, though - just learning to do tapestry crochet. I mentioned felting because I want to learn that after I learn the tapestry technique.

Darski - thanks for the hat pattern! I also like the baby afghan! :)

Judy

I just found this free pattern by Carol Ventura, too: http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patte.../CPpat243.html

This site is unavailable right now but I'd love to see the pattern. I'll check again in the morning. Kitty cats = good!

I hope to purchase the yarn/thread and the hooks for this project soon, if I don't have them in my stash. My supply of small hooks is pretty limited as I've only done a few bookmarks in thread so far.

Linda

GO!!!:cheer (just kidding) but hey lets go ahead and start! sorry i didnt answer sooner sometimes life gets in the way of having fun, unfortunately.:no

i will share that i tapestry crocheted a mushroom, its too cool! it has stripes around the top part of the mushroom. and today i got carol venturas "more tapestry crochet book" great book, i think this one is better than her first book, not saying the first one isnt good. i have no first hand knowledge of her felted tapestry crochet book though to offer.

now to pick colors for the tapestry crocheted bag we are doing! i think a print(multicolor yarn) and a solid, that might look good, at the very least different! dani

Hi,

The free kitty cats bag pattern is really cute! I think I'd like to try it.l I have a young spiritual sister who loves cats and has two of her own (her parents are very nice!) I think she'd like this bag.

Do I need Carol's book too in order to do this?

Way to go all those who want to learn tapestry crochet! It seems that's the only way I make things anymore, LOL.

One word of warning: one you get comfortable doing this, your brain will explode with all the options for fun or gorgeous patterned items you can make.

If you want to see some bizarre tapestry crocheted items, check out my blog (link in my signature). I've been playing with it quite a bit lately. My film reel purse design is done all in tapestry crochet.

I've got my threads and hook ready:clap ! I'm going to start the Carol Ventura pattern first with the intention of giving it to my youngest son. He has a collection of small bags that hold his treasures - fossils, rocks, butterfly wings, etc. I've chosen two shades of blue and hope to start this weekend.

Linda

I'm not sure which pattern we're doing. I proposed two different patterns, and as far as I can tell nobody chose one or the other for the group...but it sounds like Ann / Hooked2 likes the kitty one, and I vote for that one, too. They're both Carol Ventura patterns, so I'm not sure which one Linda / lindiny likes, but I suspect from her post that it's the triangle one. :think :think

If we're just doing either one, I'm going to go ahead and try the kitty one first. I'm sure it's a bit more difficult, but it looks like something I might actually use.

Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should have PM'd danisboots with pattern suggestions instead of posting them...:yes

So Danisboots - which one are you doing? :)

I could do both. I almost finished the triangle one last night and then frogged it. The concentric circle method was more challenging than the tapestry portion of the pattern. I'm going to try again tonight. Perhaps the kitty one will be on the agenda for tomorrow.

Linda

I'm finding that the actual tapestry stitch / carry is easier than I thought it would be! :clap

I'm having a problem with the two yarns wrapping around each other (between the project and the skeins), though. Does anybody have a solution for that? I have to keep tying off my project just to untangle yarn. :yarn :yarn

to fix the wrapping yarns problem, just drop your project and hold the two yarns up in the air, it will unwind.

i'm doing the small bag first. start small and work my way up to the kitty bag.

no book needed, to get the small triangle bag pattern keyword:"tapestry crochet", and carol venturas page will come up, which has the pattern for free. heading over to see phoenixcrochets blogspot! dani

to fix the wrapping yarns problem, just drop your project and hold the two yarns up in the air, it will unwind.

Yes, I've been doing that, but what if I were making an afghan? This would be terribly annoying, and I couldn't just hang the afghan. I'd have to unwind each ball of yarn... I know it must be the way I'm switching yarns. I'll have to experiment and see if I can figure out how to stop winding...

I'm doing the kitty bag...sort of....I couldn't help myself, and I changed it up. I guess you'll see what I mean when I'm done. :lol

If you want to see some bizarre tapestry crocheted items, check out my blog (link in my signature). I've been playing with it quite a bit lately. My film reel purse design is done all in tapestry crochet.

Hmm...the photos of that film purse dissappeared off my blog somehow...

Well, there's still some tapestry pieces on there, but now I'm wondering what's going on with my blog.

Phoenix,

I saw the pictures of your tapestry pieces when you first posted - I'm sorry I neglected to tell you how awesome they are! :clap I had seen them once before, though - they're one reason I wanted to learn this type of crochet.

I've made my little bag - I just need to do the handle. I wish I could figure out how to keep the yarn from winding, though. I want to make an afghan, and if I'm constantly unwinding the skeins it's going to become tedious. Do you know how to keep the yarn from winding together? I know it's how I'm switching colors. I can see it happening, but I can't figure out how to get around it. :think

I'm going to try to finish the handle tomorrow and get a picture posted. :photo

Wish me luck!

The trick that I found worked for this is to set one ball one each side of you while you work. (flat bottomed, centre pulls are best)

then very carefully keep one yarn as FRONT and the other one as BACK. That is, always pull (say) the black to the front and the red to the back as you change over.

You are working in spirals right? so you don't need to worry about turning.

if you have to turn, carefully turn to the right one time and then to the left the next time so your two balls don't have to move and they don't tangle.

These techniques really do work. The discipline to follow them may take some time but unwinding all the time wastes more than this takes to do. Don't ask me how I know that one sheesh...:rofl

Archived