When lining crocheted accessories....

When you put lining a crocheted accessory do you....  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When you put lining a crocheted accessory do you....

• Line before assembly
    • Line after assembly

Ok... I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I was just wondering that when you are crocheting pieces for a accessory, like a purse or tote, well anything that need to be lined, do you line the pieces before assembling the accessory or do you line it after assemling the pieces together?

Also, which do you think is the easier way to line the accessories?

I was just curious is all :D

I have done both ways, depending on my mood :P

D'oh!!! I didn't even put a 3rd option in the poll for either way LOL

So far I've only lined purses.

I did a granny square purse for my daughter and lined it after like they said. Not too bad.

I've done eight Fat Bottom purses and lined 7 of them before doing handle flaps and adding handles. The first one I did handle flaps, lined, then added handles. Trust me, anyone wanting to do this and add a lining (it does not call for one), add the lining before the flaps. :)

I was thinking about this because I am lining my daughters tote right now and I still have my ghostie purse to line yet LOL

I always do it after ( excpet for some items when I do the handles after)- could you do it before in the case of a purse and not have hidden seams ?

or is there a differnt way of finishing them?

I suppose you could do a french seam but that would be fiddily?

When I do my lining I do the leave a small gap in the bottom to turn through afte I attach or the fold down the edge and attach.

I lined this purse after I finished the crocheting. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/P3042480.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/ErinLindsey/P3042482.jpg

I used my sewing machine to do it too. I went verrrry slowwwwly when using the machine too. Had to watch and make sure the foot didnt catch on any of the crochet stitches. Turned out pretty good.

My only mistake was that I forgot to change threads. The machine had blue thread in it, and I was going to switch to white thread (so it wouldnt show up in the crochet stitches) and forgot to do that. I'm pretty much the only person who notices it.

I'm planning on finding a nice satin ribbon to use as a drawstring for it eventually. The crochet cotton I used seems to like to stretch a lot.

I always do it after ( excpet for some items when I do the handles after)- could you do it before in the case of a purse and not have hidden seams ?

or is there a differnt way of finishing them?

I suppose you could do a french seam but that would be fiddily?

When I do my lining I do the leave a small gap in the bottom to turn through afte I attach or the fold down the edge and attach.

Those are some good questions :think I have no clue especially since I royally suck ar lining, I have no clue how to give it that finished look. I just pretty much sew the material in, but then they are usually only for me or my daughter. I should probably figure out a better way before making ant ourses as gifts :P

That is a really pretty purse ErinLindsey :D

That is a really pretty purse ErinLindsey :D

thanks! I have another one that's just sitting around waiting for my eye to heal (I have optic neuritis) so that I can see well enough to thread my sewing machine. I'm probably going to use the same fabric (I have about 30yds of that same fabric)

I crochet the bag, then I make a fabric bag, and then I sew the two bags together, put in a drawstring and then I've got a purse.

I do both I attach the top b4 assemble and I put it together then I stich the sides of the lining...it that weird??????:think ...I'm self tought so I do alot of weird things:yes :blush

I'm self taught also, so I don't think thats weird, I've been known to do weird things alot :P

I am facing the prospect of trying to line something for the first time---a felted purse I made for my mother. Obviously since it's felted, I waited until after I've felted it. It is so thick it doesn't need lining, but I think my mom would like it better if it was lined. 'm not a sewer, so it's a scary prospect, that's for sure.

Nicole

• 4 years later...

I've never had to line anything yet, but I'm hoping to make some things soon that require lining. The bags I've done were intended to be beach bags or small item bags and they were done in a very small stitch anyway, so lining was unnecessary at the time. I'm starting to think that lining things might be smarter than not lining them, simply for the fact that it would make them last longer.

I'm learning so much just being on this website, it's amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived