Reverse Pattern Search: Have Yarn, Need Pattern

aadttsm

Question

So... I keep inheriting yarn. I haven't even gotten the two garbage bags full that my grandma is sending me... haha.

This stuff is from my aunt in Florida. I LOVE the colors, they're totally brite and fun! (considering that my hair was hot pink two days ago.. ;-) ). I have A TON of it. There's 11 skeins of the blue, and 4 each of the pink, black, and teal. 123 yards a piece, called "Saucy Sport", so I'm guessing it's sport weight, and it's 100% mercerized cotton.

yarnstash.jpg

I've a) never worked with sport weight before, or 100% cotton, so I'm excited about the opportunity, and b) never made anything really big before.. and now with the post-christmas slow-down, I wouldn't mind doing a slew of matching things or one big item.. I know cotton isn't stretchy, so it's not ideal for hats. I was thinking a blanket or something maybe, but I don't know how heavy the cotton will be...?

Does anyone have any suggestions? any good patterns for this size of yarn, and advice for working with cotton?

10 answers to this question

sound like you are having sooooo much fun, i am jealous!!!!!:rotfl what about making yourself a purse and then if you decided to change your hair to a different color, you will have a purse to match:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl seriosly though, i use cotton sport weight all the time, the only difference there is between acrylic(i am allergic to wool so can't tell you the difference there) is that cotton doesn't flow through your fingers the way the other yarns do, but it is fun to work with. how about making some teddy bears in cool colors or something for a baby. cotton yarn is great for babies. hope that helps you some:loco love that blue by the way, any you don't use or want, i would love to trade something for it. vicki:loco

Rachel: it's black with a cranberry-red/pink stripe in the bangs and pink ends... ;-) Much easier to keep a few parts pink than my whole head.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. i really love that shawl and have always wanted to try it, maybe it's time for me to stop wussing on it.. ;-) feel free to keep suggesting; i have a crapload of this yarn!

Ignore the undressing. ;-) I was performing at the Rocky Horror Picture Show as Trixie. I swear I'm not a stripper. ;-)

100_4651.jpg

I'm probably just gonna dye more black over the ends, though.. when I washed it, the black just kind of bled into the kind-of-pink and made it look weird. The streaks at the front are the fun part.

As for the yarn, no decision has been made yet as I got sidetracked on an old knitting project, but I will DEFINITELY inform y'all when I start working on something... someone also suggested legwarmers to me, so we'll see. :-)

Archived