Plastic hook help

MidnightStorms

Hi everyone. I've been using Boye aluminum hooks and I love them. I really like the hook part, it's not too pointy.. They work great. I'm in the process of gathering materials for a project that requires a P hook. Boye doesn't make an aliminum hook that is a size P so it looks like I'll have to go the route of plastic... I've used my mom's susan bates aluminum hook before and didn't like the way it was shaped.. Any suggestion on hooks that are similarly shaped to a Boye hook and that I can find in a size P? Thanks for your help!

Red Heart has nice aluminum hooks but I don't know if they go up to size P. Susan Bates hooks go up to P in aluminum. I also like Aero hooks, they are European and are great but hard to find.

Susan Bates has a size P hook. It works great for a plastic hook, no trouble at all. I hate plastic hooks.

• 2 months later...

try lion brand. they're pricey but they go up to a size Q

but i think they're shaped like susan bates, can't remember

and i think i saw a Q hook by boye once at a craft store

I'm addicted to my Bates plastic hooks - I have a set from F to P. The F to I set was $3.20 and the larger ones are about $2 each. The white plastic P hook has a thumb rest, fyi. I am a "Pencil" holder so it works better for me.:hook LOVE the thumb rests!

I like them because they're lighter, they work faster and I can throw them in my tote bag. If I drop it, no big deal 'cause it won't break, and if I lose it I can always buy another one cheap.

Red Heart makes a nice set of plastic hooks (I have an H), they are color coded, but sadly they don't have the larger sizes.

Just my opinion, of course. :yarn

If you have a Joanns near you, their Sensations brand has larger sized metal hooks. I never compared shape, but the hooks are about $2 a piece.

I absolutely LOVE these larger sized hooks, and the price is GREAT! I think they're much easier to work with than the large plastic hooks. :)

Try:

http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/bighook.htm

He makes awesome hooks. I got my P hook from him and it's just wonderful.

I found I couldn't use plastic because the yarn dragged too much, which aggravated my tendonitis. Also, some of the plastic hooks, like Lion Brand, are too short to fit comfortably in my hand. I find my wooden hook has more slide.

I am currently using a gray size P in plastic made by boye. I got it at walmart for $2.48 (I think). It was there with the aluminuim hooks, largest size alum. was size N, next to it was P in plastic. The shape is a little different because it is in plastic but works good. I don't care for the susan bates hooks either. I think because I started out on the boye I am partial to those hooks.

Archived