New Interweave Crochet

Sylviaf

As you point out yourself, they can hardly start a magazine with just patterns with both knit and crochet.

I disagree that we don't know how it would look or drape differently with crochet: we know how crochet fabrics behave and how knit fabrics behave, and there's simply no crochet fabric that behaves the way that knit ribbing will (just like there's no knit fabric I'm aware of that behaves like single crochet does).

I personally think it's neat that more people (and patterns) are realizing that knitting and crochet are complimentary arts, rather than deadly enemies. :-) As long as crochet magazines stay mostly crochet and knit ones stay mostly knit, I guess I just don't see the problem. It still comes down to the same question: are there enough patterns you like and think you can make that it's worth buying the magazine?

If you really want to do it, why not try doing it in all crochet? Use a pattern for a crochet pullover to use for the bodice part.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like pretty much all of this magazine - even a couple patterns in ads. I really want to make that cardi in the Nashua ad - I think I saw a similar pattern in another mag? or online? oh, well, it'll turn up. The woodstock duster - well, I like the shape and stitch pattern but I'll leave that to the younger generation that didn't get a chance to wear this stuff in the 70's. Love love love Lily's jacket and the Josephine. I see distinct possibilities for the Citrine skirt and Smokey Quartz tunic, too. I would probably make the waistcoat - but longer so I could wear it as a tank-style top. Oh, heck, I just like the whole mag and could probably make almost every item in there.

I even like the lace article - that wedding dress is spectacular. I'm awed at the amount of time and skill that went into that dress.

My fave is the Boho Blocks Cardi. I have to admit, I was also disappointed that the Josephine & the Buttercup Baby were "hybrid" projects. I've tried & tried to knit, but just can't seem to get the hang of it. But overall, I love Interweave Crochet more than any other of the magazines out there.

I disagree that we don't know how it would look or drape differently with crochet: we know how crochet fabrics behave and how knit fabrics behave, and there's simply no crochet fabric that behaves the way that knit ribbing will (just like there's no knit fabric I'm aware of that behaves like single crochet does).

I personally think it's neat that more people (and patterns) are realizing that knitting and crochet are complimentary arts, rather than deadly enemies. :-) As long as crochet magazines stay mostly crochet and knit ones stay mostly knit, I guess I just don't see the problem. It still comes down to the same question: are there enough patterns you like and think you can make that it's worth buying the magazine?

If you really want to do it, why not try doing it in all crochet? Use a pattern for a crochet pullover to use for the bodice part.

You completely misunderstood me.

I KNOW that it would never look the same as it does in knit. All I'm saying is that we don't know how it would have looked done in crochet. Yes completely different but maybe good different.

No where did I say that kniting was awful nor is it the deadly enemy. The problem is that I felt a bit misled. Period.

The question isn't about rather it's worth buying or not, had you read all my replies, you'll see I already bought it. I bought it to make the yellow baby outfit. I bought it to make the child boho sweater. While there is other things in there I'll end up making, I still feel cheated. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with me. It is my opinion about my money.

As for trying it in crochet myself. I have more than enough projects right now to do and not enough time or money to experiment.

Well, I just have to throw my two cents in here too...

When I buy a crochet mag, I expect it to be crochet, not knitting and crochet. Not there is anything wrong with a mixture of knitting and crochet, but I guess I feel like if they want both then they should create a mag that incorporates both and advertise it that way. Don't advertise as a crochet mag and then mix them...to me that's bad advertising.

p.s.

I am in no way against knitting..I'm sure it is as wonderful as crochet, I just haven't learned it. :lol

Another angle to consider...

Is it possible that the editors at Interweave received a unique hybrid submission or two they thought their readers would like, and they were good enough to share them with the readers as opposed to ignoring them because they couldn't figure out which of their magazines to publish them in?

I think it is. Those hybrid patterns are gorgeous, I think, and it didn't make me angry to see them. It inspired me to learn to knit! :hook:knit

Natasha,

I never thought of that! That's a possibility! Good for you for being inspired...maybe that's what they hoped would happen :clap. But for me, I think of it like this...I could have potential done a few more crochet projects had those projects that were "hybrid" been all crochet. After all, that's why I bought the mag to begin with, for the crochet, since, ya know, it is advertised as "Interweave CROCHET".

:hug

I understand the truth in advertising problem, as I'm pretty big on that, too. :)

But I have to admit that I'm thrilled to death :clap when I find a crochet pattern in a knitting magazine, which I have (summer 2006 Vogue Knit.1 with the awesome butterfly shawl).

It's a two-way street. I don't think it's fair to praise :cheer them for putting the occasional crochet pattern in a knitting magazine and blast :rant them for knitting stuff in a crochet magazine.

We can't have it all. I'd rather have Interweave Crochet with a little knitting tossed in, than have no Interweave Crochet at all. :D

No where did I say that kniting was awful nor is it the deadly enemy.

I didn't say you did. There seems to be a historical attitude that knitting and crochet is an either/or propisition (often with knitters looking down on crocheters). I'm glad to see that more people are realizing that knitting and crochet are complementary arts, rather than competing with each other.

Personally, I'm glad. As long as the knitting magazines are mostly knitting and the crochet magazines are mostly crochet, I'm fine. Presumably the patterns that wind up in knitting magazines are the ones more oriented towards knitting, wheras ones like this (with simple knitting and more complex crocheting) end up in crochet magazines.

For people don't want to learn to both knit and crochet then obviously that requires looking at the patterns they want to make to see if they require skills they don't have, but I guess I figured people already did that.

I think forcing designers to abandon the advantages that come from hybred designs (which they would have to, because I doubt the market would support Interweave Knit, Interweave Crochet, AND Interweave Knit and Crochet) would be very unfortunate indeed, particularly since most hybrid designs (like this one) are primarily one or the other.

EDIT: As an aside, for people who are interested in learning to knit but have been having trouble -- have you been trying to learn English style or Continental style? If you've been trying to learn English (yarn in right hand, wrapping it around the needles) and had problems -- try Continental before you give up. (Videos demonstrating at http://www.knittinghelp.com, a fabulous resource for knitting). In Continental knitting you hold the yarn in your left hand and the motions with the needles are very similar to those used in crocheting -- you scoop the yarn with your needle rather than wrapping the yarn.

I gather a lot of crocheters find Continental easier to pick up than English. (I know I did. I took one look at the Engligh instructions and my brain exploded.)

My biggest problem is that it just didn't say on the cover there was knitting inside. Had it said that, I'd have look more carefully at the patterns.

Regarding learning to knit, like I said I can. It's crappy right now and by the time I get good enough to make that yellow outfit, she'll be in college. And so will my grandkids.

I am sort of a sucker for all things fiber. I have most of the recent yarn magazines and if you're looking for additional crochet patterns, check out the knitting magazines in the library. The most recent Knit.1 has at least 5 crochet patterns (and an article on crochet). Interweave Knitscene has 3 crochet patterns, and Vogue Knitting has 2. Each one of these magazines has a crocheted skirt pattern and they are gorgeous....much better than the vast majority of knitted skirts. These could definitely serve as an inspiration for a knitter to learn to crochet.

I like pretty much all of this magazine - even a couple patterns in ads. I really want to make that cardi in the Nashua ad - I think I saw a similar pattern in another mag? or online? oh, well, it'll turn up.

I loved that pattern as well. My LYS in Nashua, so I'm going to pester them and heck I'll directly contact Nashua yarns to track down that pattern!

I see distinct possibilities for the Citrine skirt and Smokey Quartz tunic, too.

The Smokey Quartz tunic is on my list too. I just found some alpaca/wool tweedy yarn . I'd have just enough, I think, if I made the top yoke in the gray tweed and then the rest in the maroon tweed... maybe back to the gray for the edging on the sleeves... DOes anyone think this would work?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the pineapple shrug on the front cover. :yes But... Caron has a similar one free online. I also liked the fall foliage purse, and I really liked the ripple scarf. I have been eyeing this magazine in our King Soopers, but I ended up getting a different one.... (FC Easy Crochet...)

Tina

I have been eyeing this magazine in our King Soopers, but I ended up getting a different one.... (FC Easy Crochet...) Tina

I didn't see this magazine in "my" King Soopers:( . I ended up getting it at Borders at Southwest Plaza.....

"My" Kings didn't have the FC Easy Crochet either!

I think mixed media is the best. Knitting and crochet truly compliment each other. If someone who knits wants to teach you, then accept! You'll not regret it. And by all means OFFER, OFFER, OFFER to teach knitters how to crochet!

Frankly I love magazines that contain both, which is a large part of the reason I adore knit.1 magazine. There is no reason to perpetuate the cliques that surround knitting and crochet. And while you're at it, take up spinning too :c9 .

If you truly love a mixed media pattern in Interweave Crochet, then what an excellent oprotunity to trade crochet lessons for knitting lessons with someone at your local __________! Neither of you will ever regret it.

I speak from experience. I was a very biased crocheter, until I decided I was going to knit some diaper soakers, because I was not pleased with my crocheted ones. It was easy, and I enjoyed it. I then reamained a closet knitter for about a year. I had a lot of pent up anger about the whole bias against crochet. But honestly, knowing fiber from spinning it, to crocheting it, to knitting it, is actualy a very zen place to be. :manyheart

Archived