New Interweave Crochet

Sylviaf

I called every craft store in the area and came up empty handed :(! So, I ordered the current issue and the 2 back issues online, :lol! Woo Hoo!

christinacoghill:

We should do a cal for the Woodstock Duster! I have never crocheted any clothing before and am a nervous wreck about it! This would give me some motivation!

:manyheart

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up both Interweave Crochet and Crochet Today yesterday while I was at Barnes & Noble - wasn't super happy with either but that won't stop me from continuing to buy. Who knows? My tastes might change.

Did anyone notice the subscription card inside Interweave Crochet? Yup - you can now subscribe. And here's the best news: FOUR issues for $21. That must mean Interweave is changing this to a quarterly publication - just like Interweave Knits.

Crochet is no longer relegated to the kid's table - yeah!

Kelli

You may want to read this thread about the "subscription" card in the new Interweave Crochet:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31398

I think if they get a big response with the card and/or the online survey, they will make it a regular periodical.

I pre-ordered mine and received it Friday! I loved ALL the patterns, but I too also found it frustrating:thair because a few of the patterns that I liked involved knitting. I still want to try the Boho Blocks Cardigan (looks soft) :fluffy and the Smoky Quartz Tunic is interesting. :yarn So We'll see what I'll get into

OK - there's a conspiracy to hide this from me in southern NH - I went to AC Moore yesterday - Michael's Joannes's Borders & B&N today... nothing, nada zilch zippo... what did I do wrong??? Tomorrow I'll stop by my LYS (conveniently located next to my dd's music class) .... now who knows what else I'll have to buy at the LYS!

Picked my copy up Monday at a local shop that is getting rid of all its yarn and crochet and knit supplies to concentrate on beads--and I got it at 50% off! Plus a whole lot of other things that I didn't need, but at 50% off, who can resist? Several Clover ergonomic hooks (several for me and 1 for my mom), 3 Brittany hooks (The most expensive was $4.50!! 2 for me, 1 for mom), and three books: Crocheted Lace by Pauline Turner, Candy Blankies by Candi Jensen, and Blankets, Hats, and Booties by Kristin Spurkland. It was a lot of money, but I think I got some real steals. Some of the Clover hooks were under $2.

Happy Patty:hook

I got mine at Wal-Mart today.

I have to say, I am ticked that two of the projects I was wanting to do are mostly knitted. If I wanted a knitting project, I'd buy a knitting magazine.

Amen to that! LOL

I picked my copy up at Wal-Mart last night and already started on the "Pineapple Ice Cardigan." I also picked up a bunch of Symphony on clearance and am using that yarn. I don't know how it'll turn out but this yarn is all but impossible to frog so it's onward! LOL

I must say that this is my fave issue yet! I really liked the Woodstock thing! That's awesome and I have that on my list of things to make! I agree some of the patterns are UGH but others are fantastic! I really like both skirt patterns too! Well worth the $8 IMO!

The combining knitting & crochet thing bugs the heck out of me because I'm an either or girl I can't imagine doing both I have a hard time being focused like that. Not to mention I just can't seem to get knitting figured out & the 2 needle thing seems weird. Why do with 2 needles what you can do with 1 hook :hook

We should do a cal for the Woodstock Duster! I have never crocheted any clothing before and am a nervous wreck about it! This would give me some motivation!

:manyheart

I liked the woodstock duster too! Thinking of doing for my dd. Let me know if you get a CAL going on this one!

I pre-ordered mine and received it Friday! I loved ALL the patterns, but I too also found it frustrating:thair

When I went last night to a social knitting group at my LYS, Interweave Crochet was there and I bought it. Some of the patterns were not to my taste, but it is much better put together than most crochet magazines I know about. Crochet! is the only other one whose layout I like. One of the ads even had a pattern I liked, a granny square skirt. (I think it is Tahki?) I am waiting for the back ordered issues I ordered to arrive.

I got mine at Wal-Mart today.

I have to say, I am ticked that two of the projects I was wanting to do are mostly knitted. If I wanted a knitting project, I'd buy a knitting magazine.

I'm seeing more and more crochet in knitting magazines and knitting in crocheting magazines. Both sides seem to be paying attention to what the other can do for their own craft.

That's right, knitters won't be able to resist the pretty stitches, cool looks, versatility and structural interest that crochet can give them...:hook

Must...find...the magazine...

yeah!!!!! My local paper shop managed to order a copy for me and it will be here in about 3 weeks , lol , cant complain really , I am on the other side of the planet . At least I am getting a copy :-) Cant wait to start a Jolly Roger sweater . This way I have 3 weeks to finish , lol , all my U.F.O'S ,lol, before it gets here , I can try anyway , lol .

I'm seeing more and more crochet in knitting magazines and knitting in crocheting magazines. Both sides seem to be paying attention to what the other can do for their own craft.

Me too. I just think they should be more open about what it is. I really wanted to make that yellow baby set and didn't realize it was knitted until after I bought the magazine. To me, it's kind of a switch and bait thing.

I'm no where experienced enough of a knitter to attempt it. It should have been left out of the crochet issue and put in the knit issue. Same for the Josephine Pullover, another project I was wanting to make.

To make things worse, the child Boho pattern isn't even in the magaize. I have to go to their site and print it out myself.

Just got my 3 issues in the mail! WOW was that super fast shipping! I got lucky, there was only one pattern that I was thinking of doing that has knitting incorporated in it, so I guess I can chuck that one since I, at this point, have no interest in knitting. I am in LOVE with this magazine! I went through with stickys and marked 4 patterns from the fall issue, 7 from the spring and 4 from the 1st issue! Ahhh, where to start, where to start? :lol

Since I'm taking crochet classes starting next Monday, I might wait to start anything from these magazines. I want to make sure I know what the heck I am doing before I tackle some awesome patterns and really screw them up, LOL!

OnceUponAHook:

I liked the woodstock duster too! Thinking of doing for my dd. Let me know if you get a CAL going on this one!

I may wait but if you really want to get started on it, I am IN! It would definitely help me to do it with others since I am such a novice. Let me know!

:hook

Well this knitting thing really bugs me because I fear that all the patterns may end up having some knitting in them. I get together with a great bunch of knitters (really friendly) but there always seems to be someone trying to convert me. It's like a cult and trust me I know a cult when I see one since I'm a Mac user. I understand that some things don't look great in crochet but just maybe, I don't what to create those things.

And another thing......what's this thing with some of the high end yarns only having knitting info on them.....no suggested hook size....just needle size. Are their yarns too good for me to crochet? Well!.....(she turns quickly and put her nose in the air and leaves that yarn on the shelf)

I love, love, love the Josephine Pullover. I think I'll buy the magazine just for that, even if all that knitting in fingering weight yarn is a little scary.

And, for the record, I wouldn't make it if it were all crochet. I want the drape and stretch across the bust and shoulders that the knitted ribbing will give. Knit and crochet have different properties and I don't see anything wrong with making designs that take advantage of both of them.

If it makes you feel any better, it seems like every time a new Interweave Knits comes out, knitters who can't crochet complain about the crochet that's in it.

I think it's simply that a lot more people knit with high end yarns than crochet with them. I've crocheted with high-ish end yarns, and the fact that crochet uses more yarn than knitting (and is faster to boot) means a crocheter working with the same yarns as a knitter will burn through money a LOT faster than the knitter does.

So, since more knitters use the high-end yarn, I imagine some of them only include knit information. I'm sure there's a general rule for what hook size corresponds to what needle size (one size down, maybe?)

I bought this today at Borders specifically for the Pineapple Ice cardigan -- definitely going to make it, just gotta decide on the yarn. I'm eager to see some photos from those who've already begun this sweater.

:hook

I also like the Maiko jacket, but am not totally crazy about the back being 2" longer than the front, so I'd probably make it even all around.

Can't wait for cooler weather so I can wear sweaters!

:wgrin

And, for the record, I wouldn't make it if it were all crochet. I want the drape and stretch across the bust and shoulders that the knitted ribbing will give. Knit and crochet have different properties and I don't see anything wrong with making designs that take advantage of both of them.

I know that they look different and feel different and all that. I agree that it probably would look different if it were all crochet. However it's not so we don't know how'd it look or drape. Might have been really nice. Might have been something you would make. Might have been junk. We'll never know.

What I see wrong with putting a design in a crochet book that is all or mostly knitting is that not everyone does both. I know I can't outside of some squares that look like a cat threw them up. Oh that'd look just lovely one me and what drape. :P

If it makes you feel any better, it seems like every time a new Interweave Knits comes out, knitters who can't crochet complain about the crochet that's in it.

No actually it doesn't make me feel better. In fact I have heard that complaint before.

Simple solution: stop doing it and create a magazine just for the hybird patterns. Too easy I guess. And before anyone lectures me about the cost of making a magazine, I know. ;)

Archived