Round Ripple question

Ga_Rebel

Question

I have done this one and you alternate two rows of the large shells and two rows of the small shells and the increases will take care of themselves. You can make this afghan as large as you want. If you look at my blog, I have a purple, lavender and white one. Each color is 6 rows. That should give you an idea how big it is. I am going to go check on which rows are the large and small shells for the increases. I'll be back in a second.

Okay, I went over the pattern and after row 9 you will start row 10 and row 11 with the small shell pattern as in row 7

Then for rows 12 and row 13, you will follow the large shell pattern as in row 8

You will alternate these two patterns for the rest of the afghan....remembering to put the increases in the proper dc after the shells.

It's like doing two rows of round 7 and two rows of round 8 throughout the rest of the afghan.

If you don't understand this....let me know and I will explain further.

100_0232.jpgOn this one I did 42 rounds from beginning of the center outward. I did 6 rows of each color. Then I added the border (white) with the hdc all the way around and then I loosely slipped stitched all the way around. I hope this helps. You can make your afghan larger if you like.

6 rows of each color and 7 color changes

6 x 7 = 42

Yes, you are on the right course now....just follow that pattern and you will be just fine. If you have more problems.....make sure to let me know. You can pm me if you like. Oh, my picture didn't come out on the above post.....but it is on my blog....scroll down just a little bit and you will see it.

:cheer As others have said, you do not actually repeat row 9, you just keep doing what you have been doing to this row.

Just take note of where the "Shells" are and make sure you keep doing the shells, large and small, into the CH space in the shell and make sure you keep skipping the same 2 STS at the valley, then you dont even need to read the pattern anymore.

:cheer It is most important that you do the SL ST into the next ST at the beginning of the round, after the joining SL ST.

:cheer You will see that it says to do 2 rounds with the small shell and 2 rounds wirh the large shell. This hellps to stop it growing too quickly and prevents the frilly outside edge which some people have a problem with.

If you do all rounds with the large shell, you will be increasing too fast, if you do all roung=ds with the small shell you will not be increasing at all so you need to combine the two.

I did not follow the pattern but did 2 rounds of the large shell and 1 round of the small when I did mine and it sits very nicely.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/RoundRipplestar.jpg

I have posted this pic before but thought I would post it again so you can see how it looks in a different colours.

Yell if you need more help.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

:cheer Daisy,

Yes I did do 3 rounds of each colour and that is when I did the small shell round, on each colour change. Made it easier to remember to do the small shell round.

This is why I did only one small shell round instead of 2 as the pattern said.

Minesits very nicely so it did not suffer at all.

:cheer I LOVE your purples and white one.

:cheer Absolutely fabulous but then I do love purple and I do love the round ripple.

This has to be one of my very fave afghans, especially when you see the variety of colour schemes used and they all look so different.

I have said this before, I have not met a round ripple I did not like.

Have fun.

:cheer Thanks Daisy.

I am 11.14am Sunday right now, in NZ and the weather is not condusive to even going outside let alone doing anything.

I am sure it will be a great Crochet afternoon.

You enjoyyour weekend too.

Have fun.

I just wanted to add in that Daisy and Aggie May have given you the correct sequence to continue on. I posted this exact same question a few months back and they're the ones who helped me through it. (I've now made several more with no problems). The abrupt ending makes it difficult to figure out, but once you do it seems to make perfect sense. Can't wait to see your finished product!

By George, GA Rebel, You have got it down pat! Excellent!!!!! and yes, by repeating the 2 rounds of row 7 and 2 rounds of row 8, you can make the afghan as large as you like.

Lizc, to be honest, I am not sure how your afghan is going to turn out. Aggie May told me once that these ripples are forgiving.....so I guess this could be the test. In the pattern, it states that after row 9, you alternate two rows of the small shells and 2 rounds of the large shells. I think that the small shells are to keep the increases even somehow, while the large shells make the actual increases......so if you are doing more increasing rows (large shells).....you are actually adding more stitches, more frequently. Ratio: 2 large shells to 1 row small shells. If your afghan is laying the way you want it to.....then just keep doing what you were doing. If the points start to look mis-shapen, then I would frog it. Golly, I hope Aggie May jumps in here, with her take on this. Two heads are better than one!

Archived