Lexi's Water Bottle Caddy

nucki

th_LexisWaterBottleCaddy06.jpg th_LexisWaterBottleCaddy05.jpg

This is made from 100% cotton twine - the kind used to bind packages together. I picked it up from the local department store to use for something else, but this inspiration hit me first.

I like it, because not only is it stronger when made out of this twine, but because it IS cotton, it washes well and even shrinks back to it's orginal shape and size (after being used to carry around a full water bottle, it tends to stretch out a bit).

And Lexi (my 5 yo daughter) absolutely loves it. You shoulda seen her face light up when I showed it to her. :D

It's proven such a hit at school that one of her teachers mentioned that I should make up a bunch of them and sell them... cuz SHE'D sure buy one!:hook

Oooh, interesting thought about the stretchyness. I have been planning to make a sling soon so I will be on the lookout for some of that to make it from! :) Thanks for sharing the tip, and that's a great pattern. :)

I made one for a trip to an amusement park and received several comments on it.. basically if I bought it at a gift shop in the park. I used Lustersheen though and it did tend to stretch quite a bit. Yours is nice and great idea using twine!

Another great thing about the twine is that you can always DYE it whatever color you want. Of course you'd have to go with Rit dye or something similar, but the option is always there.

I was considering doing a bunch of them - like Lexi's teacher recommended - and dying them different colors. But that'll have to wait until the money rolls in. :hook

(hoping I dont sound too dumb) What is the use? To keep your hands free? for a little one to have both hands ree? Do you wear it around your neck?

Laura

Yes, she wears it around her neck. Usually "sideways" - with the water bottle on one side, and the strap going across her body to the opposite shoulder.

She would absolutely REFUSE to carry the darned thing in her hands. "It's too heavy!!" she'd whine. So this way, she could carry it herself, have her hands free, and best of all: NO MORE WHINING!!!:hook :hook

Yes, she wears it around her neck. Usually "sideways" - with the water bottle on one side, and the strap going across her body to the opposite shoulder.

She would absolutely REFUSE to carry the darned thing in her hands. "It's too heavy!!" she'd whine. So this way, she could carry it herself, have her hands free, and best of all: NO MORE WHINING!!!:hook :hook

and lets face it folks, THAT is all important! :lol

great job

I like it! I saw one somewhere that I wanted to make. My husband wants to go hiking a lot and the kids never want to carry water bottles (but later that's ALL they want is water, so I make them...) So I've been wanting to make some of these just for that.

Nice Job! :)

Tina

To help with the stretchiness...maybe you can carry along some of that dreaded size 10 thread :think

That's a pretty good suggestion... but it would require ordering some online (can't find it to save my soul out here), and I'm not sure I want to bother doing that.

If by some chance I do get to sell them (I have no idea if they'd really sell or not, other than Lexi's teacher of course!) I think I'll just put a little note in the packaging telling the prospective buyers that any stretching will be remedied by simply washing the derned thing.;)

I'm glad y'all like it. :hook Makes my day, literally.

I'm kicking around actually writing out the pattern. Whatcha think? Should I? I can easily figure out EXACTLY what I did from just taking a good look at the thing, and I don't think it would require a lot of writing out, since there really aren't that many rows or anything. I think it took me only about 1/2 an hour to do the whole thing.

Archived