Bored, stumped, in a rut

I have a problem. I can't quite figure out exactly what it is though. I'm having a problem figuring out new things to make. I've alreayd made myself 2 or 3 shawls and 2 or 3 ponchos. We have about 7 or 8 afghans and have two in process for the home. The people I know don't appreciate hand made stuff, they'd rather go buy it! I don't know any kids who would want cool handmade stuff either.

I have a plan to make afghans for Project Linus this year and have all the baby yarn to do it but have the same problem as described below. Not enough of one color to do a whole blanket. It's very frustrating!!!

I see all kinds of beautiful yarns and I haven't a clue what to do with it! My yarn stash, while large, doesn't have enough of any one color to complete a project with it and I'm not one for squares(they bore me). I just am at a loss!! I would want to purchase more yarn but don't want to if I don't have something in mid for it. Also, all the new stuff and the handpainted stuff, id on't quite understand yardage and don't have a clue as to how much I would need for something.

I don't like using two strands held together to make something, it confuses me. Also I prefer to make things that are useful. that's why I make afghans, people actually USE them. I've made people in my life hats and scarves and potholders but have yet to see them worn or used. I don't know what it is but it's very frustrating.

maybe this is just a phase I'm going through but if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it!

thanks for listening!!!!

That is so nice of you to make blankets for Project Linus! I have made blankets, sweaters, booties, and hats for donations, too.

Have you tried making scrap afghans? You can use up all your odds and ends and still come up with a beautiful afghan! Just a thought...:)

Tina

As far as ponchos and shawls if you wear them people will ask about them and want to buy them.If your friends family don't apprecaite them believe me someone will. My kids are very picky about what I make they'll wear it around the house but usually nowhere else.

I'm making preemie stuff for hospitals too they're always needed and appreciated.

I wear my ponchos out and everyone just stares. i've never once been asked, and if I am asked, and they say how much and I tell them, they just walk away like I'm crazy. So I gave up on that.

As far as our hospital goes. I know too many people who work there and they say that they have too much stuff donated and most of it gets thrown away or just gets utcked away!!!!!! I live in an area with LOTS of older people "grannies" who must knit or crochet and give it away. I even tried to get some ideas at my LYS but they were too snobby and when found out I was a crocheter felt like they had nothing tot alk to me about!!!! Even when I told them I knitted too, i was soiled!!!

I'm just really frustrated with this whole craft right now even though I love it sooooo much!!!!

Sorry to be so negative today.

hi :hug :hug :hug , i have a suggestion, i am sure that in yoyur area somewhere there is a teenage pregnancy center(or maybe the next town??) not sure where you live, but they can always use baby things, blankets booties caps anything, i make alot of stuff with my scraps and give it them and the girls are soooooooooooooooo appreciative. just a though.:idea , vicki, p.s, we all get into that rut sometimes.:yes :yes :yes

Yup Trish, we all go through it. Why not try Dot's UBW hats for the homeless? You could mail them to a shelter or church or something. With those color doesn't matter. I've made three so far, and used up a bit of my yukky green and baby poop yellow yarn. Takes like 30 minutes to make a hat with her pattern.I plan to do a few more before this weekend.

Heck, if you're looking for a longer project, homeless folks'd probably be thrilled with shawls/wraps no matter what color of yarns you used.

Your nicer yarns you could use to make little bags and RAOK 'em if you wanted. Or send them to churches.

Make cat toys n blankets and take them/send them to a shelter.

Slippers and/or hats for soldiers. Things for Sailors onboard ship (anysoldier.com) such as slippers, lapghans or blankets for their racks (beds, and I can getcha dimensions if ya want 'em) I saw a pattern for a crocheted cheker board and checkers somewhere.... probably lotsa other things they would like too....bags/pouches to keep their stuff in. Females esp. would probably like some cute stuff.

Make me somethin ;) J/k But I was runnin outta ideas *g*

There are options out there, but it's hard to come up with 'em when you're in one of those moods, I know *g*

I'm sorry you are feeling that way. :( Sometimes you just need a lift. I always have tons to do but sometimes, I can't figure out what those things were! If you don't think the colors are nice, maybe you could do an animal blanket? They don't care about color! There are a lot of things you can do out there. With baby yarn you could do a scrap blanket (there is one on Bev's country cottage, add the .com) and also hats and booties. There is alway somewhere that needs them. It might not be local but it's somewhere. Hope you get perked up soon!

Amber

Well, I checked out the UBW hat but saw that it required holding two strands together. I prefer not to work like that because it hurts my hands and confuses me trying not to get the strings tangled.

I have this problem where I don't want to give anything away that I wouldn't want myself. It just doesnt' seem fair. Just because people are in need doesn't mean they have to wear the ugly colors or the ugly articles. Just me though. I konw they appreciate anything they can get. I've found our local charities to be kind of stand offish so I haven't gotten involved in any of them. They weren't excited about donations, like they already got enough and it was just another person giving stuff. Our local animal shelter doesn't accept donated blankets. They have too many and don't wash any bedding. They get so much donated that after it's used they throw it away. I'm not gonna give them my hand made items to be thrown away! I was SHOCKED at that! Animals are my passion so I thought that was a good idea thrown out there but no way jose!!

I'll keep looking but for now I guess I'll just have tow atch more TV.

Thanks for all your help.

And I know the basic pattern recommended on that site for the animal snuggles is sc with 2 strands held together *but* I'm sure you could modify it to use 1 strand and still have it be dense enough by either using a smaller hook, using bulky yarn instead, or maybe making 2 pieces and then crocheting them together, kinda like a double-sided hot pad.

They have a list of shelters on the site, and the ones that request snuggles are marked (with a kitten, I think), so you might be able to find one not too far from you that's looking for them even though your local one doesn't reuse blankets...

Just one more charity to add to your list. I do things for several charities. I recently did a bunch of stuff for the Ronald McDonald House. When my grandson had to have brain surgery, he had to go to Cleveland, Ohio, for it. The average hotel room around the hospital was over $200!! We were in shock! Ronald McDonald took us in for something like $25 a night. I am feeling real partial to them now. They are real angels! :angel

My projects have been going to my local Ronald McDonald House, as they seem to be located all over the place. Call and ask the one closest to you if they need stuff. Usually they need baby blankets and afghans. The families staying there are so stressed out over their sick kids -- they need the comfort of a handmade ghan.

Just my :twocents

Stitchinpick

Hmmmm.....maybe someday.

I tried the UBW hat pattern using *gasp* 2 strands held together. I made 1 1/2 last night and my boyfriend actually LOVES it on me!!! I was shocked. It's a girly color and wouldn't fit his head.

So I'll make a bunch of those I guess. they only take an hour to make. I'll use up my ugly colors I guess.

Hope this slump goes away soon.

thanks for all of your help

p.s. I don't quite under your directions alisha but I'm sure I could adapt that pattern if I wanted to.

Archived