My Son in need of chemo hats

cmmorgantown

Hello crochetvillers!

As many of you probably know, my son Josh, who is 18 is undergoing a brief round of chemo and radiation for lymphoma, luckily stage 1 and we have a really good diagnosis.

However, Josh's hair is coming out. He has cut it so it doesn't look so bad (after a brief period where he wouldn't wash or comb it in fear it would come out!). But soon it's going to be completely out and he's asked me to crochet him some caps to cover up.

I'm doing the best I can, but with finances and the such it's quite hard so I'm asking you guys if you'd be willing to donate a chemo hat in a young man's style and color. We would all appreciate it. I will send anyone who will my address so they can send it to Josh.

Thank you much, Mary

I have some super soft Knit Picks Andean Silk in a chocolate color that I haven't found a good use for yet. I'd love to make it into a hat for Josh :) Please PM me or email me at vigilant20@gmail.com and I will whip it up and send it over!

what styles and colors would he like? I hope cotton or acrylic would be ok.. I can't do wool. No promises.. but will see if I can come up with anything.

Angelfire, Josh would love those!! He's the type who goes for the unusual. For his 8th grade graduation he wore a Scottish kilt (the Scottish way, he will tell people!!). He's always been like that. If that gives you guys an insight on Josh!! He's such a sweet kid, sometimes a little boistorous, a lot of time a pain in the neck!!, but he's Josh and you gotta love him for who he is. He's got a group of friends who take him out to eat after his chemo rounds (making sure he does eat), and those who say they're going to cut their hair when he goes completely bald. I hope that helps!!

Thanks you guys for all the support, Josh is looking forward to the hats.

Mary

Hi Mary

I love making hats.

Of you PM me your address, I'll be glad to make one for him.

I have a pattern that I've used for men's caps, but it's traditional. Would you rather I find something more funky and unusual?

Guest Catlizg

Mary, I have Caron super soft in this gorgeous grayish shade and then an earth tone mix of Marble yarn. As him if he'd like a skater type hat; that's what my son will wear. If he has some ideas of what he will wear, that would help. The other option with summer coming up is to just skull it - betcha at least 1 of his friends will end up shaving his head too. I'm concerned he'll go nuts with the hats in summer. He could do the bandana thing too. A creative type, huh? What about temporary tattoos on his scalp - washable markers do a great job.

Hi!!

Yes, I'm sure at least one of his friends will shave their head. We have 3 other boys and they have all said they are going to and my husband too, my daughter and I aren't so sure, we said we would but I'm beginning to get doubts!!:eek Any how the kids my kids hang out with are all skate boarders so a skate hat is great. Josh wore one all winter and up to about a month ago. His hair was so thick I don't see how he stood it!! The colors sound absolutely beautiful!! If any of you want to email me directly (or Josh for that matter!) our email is cmmorgantown@aol.com. Thanks to you all,Mary

Hi Mary,

Would Josh wear anything like either of these? If so, I could send it right out. If not it won't hurt my feelings, just trying to think of something I had ready that might work for a teen. :manyheart

smallwiggles.jpg86c6b050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:yes , i just joined today, & have made a few hats. Would be glad to make one for you. Just tell me where to send it.

I have Diabetic Neuriprathy so I crochet SLOW.

Have started to work on smaller projects now.

Ta

Im pretty new at the whole crochet thing, so I have no idea where I could find patterns for hats or what style he likes or even colors. However I would LOVE to chip in for him so if you could tell me a little more about just what I'm looking for and the colors he wants I'll see what my newbie crochet hands can do! You can e-mail me at emartinussen@hotmail.com!

So sorry to hear about Josh, I am fairly new to the site> It sounds like he is going to have a hat for every day of the week! Is there anything else that we can do for him? Please let me know if there is, I have never made a hat, but have been looking since my husband is going bald (old age HAHA!) also! Please either post your response, email me at scc51055@aol.com, or PM me

my prayers go out to your family and Josh!

Archived