Looking for a BEGINNER SOCK along..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning ladies, I would also like to join the CAL!

Just for the fun of it I had started on a sock a few weeks ago from the "Learn to Crochet Socks" book I found. Got the cuff and ankle done and ran into a bit of trouble with the heel so I put it down.

Yesterday I found the V-sock pattern that ChainoFools did and I thought I was doing pretty good until I put it to my size 6 foot! I'm using RH worsted weight with an E hook and the toe is way too big. Oh well, I'll try again later today.

Yesterday I found the V-sock pattern that ChainoFools did and I thought I was doing pretty good until I put it to my size 6 foot! I'm using RH worsted weight with an E hook and the toe is way too big. Oh well, I'll try again later today.

Hi Ilene and welcome to the CAL!

Your first sock looks great!! I used baby yarn for mine, which is similar to sock weight, so it was pretty much to the pattern specs. I didn't check tension/gauge but kept fitting it on my foot as I progressed to see if it fit or not. :lol

I went out yesterday and happened upon some sock yarn and thought I'd pick some up...the cheapest I could find was almost $6 for a 50 gram ball...at 2 balls per pair I thought, "that's a pretty pricey pair of socks!" I saw one skein, can't remember the brand, that was almost $16 :eek ...I'd dragged DH with me and he gave me a look that said "don't even think of buying that stuff!" :lol Has anyone else run into this problem with sock yarn?

ChainOFools - Thank you for the Welcome! The pattern for my completed sock called for Worsted Weight and it fit pretty good even though it looked big.

I do want to try the V-sock again but hadn't checked out the prices on the sock yarn here. If it's too pricey I'll go with baby yarn. I'd like to make a bunch of socks as Christmas presants this year.

ChainOFools, I don't think my WM carries sock yarn or at least I didn't see any when I went in this afternoon. So I picked up a skein of white baby yarn for my next attempt at the V-sock. (It was 2.97 for 5 oz.)

My other sock now has a mate, yeee haaa! They also have a home! My youngest daughter's friend, Natalie wants them. She wares some pretty unusual socks and loved the one I had finished.

sock1.jpg

This I gotta do. May I please join? I've knitted several socks, crocheted on pair, and I have tons of sock yarn. Not as much as a friend of mine (enough for 100+ pairs!:eek )

So, may I please join?

Hi! I'm new here at Crochetville. :) I saw this sock crochet along. I bought a learn to crochet socks booklet about a year ago. I tried to make a pair, but they came out too small.:( If it's not too late to join in, maybe I could try again.:yarn

Thanks,

Kim

All you gotta do to join is start stitchin'. :D And post your results/progress/questions!

Speaking of progress. I am so bad, I still have not progressed beyond the toe. I have only been crocheting for 1 month now and I'm so bonkers with everything. Made 3 scarves, finishing up 2 shawls, and trying so hard not to start much else before I get some progress done on my socks. LOL. I'll get there eventually - this sock-along is my motivation!!!

Ilene, those are some funky socks! :clap I couldn't find sock yarn at Wal-mart either, or at Michaels...I happened to be at the LYS and found it, but like I said, a bit expensive. The only other place I've seen it is Mary Maxim online, but again pretty pricey at $7-14 for a 50 g skein. I did see some at around $4, which isn't too bad.

Welcome Kim & AngiR :yay :yay :yay

I retried the V-sock today using an E hook and baby yarn and doing the pattern for a size 7. I think I'm going to have to use D hook and a size 6 for it to fit my foot. Other than that it turned out great!

My "Funky" socks went happily to their new home this afternoon. :manyheart

Tina I would like to make some socks too. I have a booklet that I can scan and send to your e-mail or copy and send with your S,.S. box(Linda Stout)

I just posted a pic of my socks so far on my blog then I went a frogged them and started over. LOL As it turns out I'm not using the pattern I thought I was so I can't share it...Anyway, I shared some tips that might help no matter what pattern you are using.

Just go here

Hi. When I make toe up socks I work with 45 stitches (sock yarn). My gauge is 6 stitches per inch and foot circumference is 9 inches, so that would make 54 stitches, but I like my sock to fit snugly, so I use the stretched gauge (5 stitches per inch) instead. This gives a sock that fits snugly around the foot and ankle without being too tight. I work my sock in HDC though, which is slightly more stretchy, so this might make a difference.

Michelle

Success! I redid my v-sock using my D hook and going for the size 6 and they actually fit me now.

v-socks.jpg

I had run into some problems on this redo, my hook kept snagging the yarn and I had to go real slow in order to do the stitches till I found out the end of the hook had a bur on it. I had read in another thread somewhere where someone had a similar problem and it was suggested to use an emory board to file down the bur. It worked like a charm and I was able to go at my usual break neck speed again.

P.S. Milo had to share the chair again.

Ilene,

Your socks look fab!! :clap Did you use baby wool on those ones? Did you like the Vee pattern better than the other you had tried or was it about the same? I want to try the 'in your shoes ankle socks' pattern on crochet me, it looks like it would be relatively easy.

I found a real score today at my LYS--a bin half full of Bernat Sox yarn in various colours and variegateds, which the clerk told me has been discontinued, and they were all on sale for $1 a skein! I cleaned them out! :blush Since the best price I've found around these parts is $4 a skein on sale, that's a real bargoon. :lol Now I'll be making socks all summer. :hook

I used the Bernat Baby Acrylic, it was $2.97 for a 5oz skein. I still have less than a half a skein left of it too. I really did like working that pattern better than my first pair. It was less taxing on my left hand. I may try to modify the pattern a bit for a different pair, maybe try either just a single crochet or just the half double all the way around. I'll keep the In Your Shoe sock pattern in mind.

You really did luck out on your find, good for you!!!!:yay

Ilene,

Your socks look fab!! :clap Did you use baby wool on those ones? Did you like the Vee pattern better than the other you had tried or was it about the same? I want to try the 'in your shoes ankle socks' pattern on crochet me, it looks like it would be relatively easy.

I found a real score today at my LYS--a bin half full of Bernat Sox yarn in various colours and variegateds, which the clerk told me has been discontinued, and they were all on sale for $1 a skein! I cleaned them out! :blush Since the best price I've found around these parts is $4 a skein on sale, that's a real bargoon. :lol Now I'll be making socks all summer. :hook

I have to admit my toe is in the basket and not been worked on in a week(maybe more) I am going to W VA this weekend and 5 hours in a car should get me at least 1 sock done right? If I come back monday with nothing done you guys come over and take me out back and beat me ok? Or just give me a virtual shove!

hey all! I'm a newbie to crochetville and to CAL so forgive me if this post is in wrong place.

Just rekindling my enjoyment of crochet and finishing up a shawl, but really, really want to learn socks. Is there a good online pattern????

Will join this CAL if I can find an easy pattern for my first try!

looking forward to the fun and fellowship!!

Doreen

Hi and Welcome Doreen!

One of the best places to get free patterns is on the Crochet Pattern Central web site. That is where me and ChainOFools got the pattern for our V-Socks. It was a pretty easy pattern and worked up quickly for me. There is also the Feet Need Socks CAL that on their beginning threads listed free sock patterns.

Again, Welcome and have fun.

Ladies, don't miss me too much. I'm going to see my daugther in Virginia for a few days. Her husband hasn't been well so me and DH are going up to check on them and my 81 year old dad.

Some good news, I've been working on my socks with the Bernart baby yarn and it looks like I'll be getting 2 pair of socks out of 5 oz. I'll have pictures when I get back.

Ilene,

Hope things go well for you on your trip :) You are inspiring with your sock making! :D

Doreen,

If you are looking for sock patterns still, you can try the thread for the feet need socks here, as Ilene said, the first post by Donna has a bunch of pattern links to try out. The Vee socks pattern can be found here. I have to agree with Ilene, this one worked up quite fast and was relatively easy :D

Just wanted to show you the progress of my socks. I think this is about the same place I frogged the last pair. Hopefully these will come out better! I hope to work more on it this weekend, but it's a busy one, so, we'll see. I'll post a pic when its done.

Kim

th_HPIM0219.jpg

I'm ready to work on the cuff of my socks.

You can see my progress here on my blog.

When I made the toe-up sock from grafton fibers I found that making the chain then crochet up for the cuff was tight around my ankle and so I made a larger chain. Is there a better way to do this?

Archived