Looking for a BEGINNER SOCK along..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back from my whirlwind trip of Northen Virginia! It looks like my son in law is facing a heart cathader to check for a blockage just after Father's Day and my Dad is as cranky as ever!

I took my crocheting with me and finished my third pair of socks on the way up as well as starting on my 63 More Square afghan. (I ran out of my sock yarn) When I got home with the socks they quickly disappeared in my youngest daughter's room never to be seen again. They are about 2 inches too long for her foot, I offered to redo them but she said I'm not touching them.

I went to Walmart today and found some cotton yarn, Peaches and Cream and bought 3 skeins. I'll be back at the socks tonight!!

Hi All, I am now on my FOUTH pair of socks. I completed my first two in sunbeam yarn ( a basic sock yarn sold in the UK), and have also done a pair in Lorna's laces shepherd sock variegated yarn. I since found a 400g cone of superwash cream coloured sock weight yarn in my stash, and have been dyeing this with food colouring to make more socks with (should get four more pairs!). The first pair is variegated blues/burgandy colour.

My first pair were the south bay toe up pattern, but I have since been following my own modified pattern, which is like the grafton fibres toe up but in in half treble crochet (half double in US speak!) with a double crochet (single crochet US terminology) short row heel (so that there are no seams to sew) and a front post/back post ribbing. I have memorised the pattern, which is very simple, so it's a nice mindless and portable project!

My digital camera is broken at the moment, so I can't post pictures, but I am very pleased with these socks - they are very comfortable and fit really well.

Michelle

I couldn't let Michelle out do me (LOL) here are my 4th pair of socks. I changed the V-sock pattern just a bit to single crochets going around and I did them in cotton yarn.

sock2.jpg

Michelle, hurry and get your camera fixed! I would love to see your socks.

Great job in the socks Michelle! :clap They look like they fit you pretty good, so far that's been my biggest problem getting them to fit my little foot.

I got a request for a pair of socks from my SIL a few weeks ago, he wants me to do him a pair of Harley Davidson socks to ware when he takes his bike out. I've gotten the yarn for them just haven't started yet.

Here is the food colouring dyed yarn sock (just finished) - Still having problems with my digital camera. Keeps saying I need new batteries after taking only a couple of photos with brand new batteries

170701724_1aea0e0dae.jpg

And here is a sock in progress - again food colouring dyed yarn, same pattern dyed to self stripe (didn't quite get it right - hence the white areas!

170701725_aec8472676_m.jpg

tgifbowl - here is a link to a thread with links to free sock patterns http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=536

Michelle

Had to go to a workshop for my new job in Atlanta so got to go to bigger store and finally found some good yarn. It is mercerized cotton, brand name Sinfonia. I don't think I got enough though :(.

Got my first one in progress but I can tell already the cuff will be too big, just don't have the heart to frog it! Maybe I can put in some elastic around the top when I finish. If these turn out I will order some stripped sock yarn online and go crazy!! This is FUN!!

Doreen

will try to take pic when completed and post.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I made my first sock, BUT the heel didn't turn out right! I am going to pull it out and redo it again! Other than the heel, I LOVE it! :U

New to the whole CAL thing but going to give it a try. Not sure what pattern yet, but have a few different ones I am thinking about. My mom is "always" freezing:wbrr so I think I will make them for her. (Wish I had that instead of the "always" hot flashes.):devil

Anna:princess

Archived