Color Help for Shawl

Yearnin' for Yarn

Question

Hi, my mother-in-law and father-in-law are going on an Alaskan cruise in July, and I would like to make her an elegant shawl to wear on formal dress nights. I was thinking of making the Sweet Pea Shawl or this other shawl I found--Delta Stitch or something like that.

Anyway, I need help with the color. She will be wearing either a navy blue or royal blue pantsuit; she suggested white, but i was thinking something else might be more complementary.

I was looking at the Classic Elite Flash yarn---a print maybe? Like the Lagoon print? I do want to use a nice yarn.

Or, would a solid be better? And, if so, what color?

See, I am not very good with color coordinating, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Nicole

10 answers to this question

See, I thought maybe a white would stick out way too much against such a dark color. Maybe a cream would be better? I was thinking of a varigated blue, also. I also wondered about pale yellow--my aunt's wedding colors were navy and pale yellow.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,

Nicole

I like the idea of using a sparkle yarn like Bernat's "Baby Sparkle" in white or Patons® Brilliant Yarn Lights also in white or maybe Deco Ribbon Yarn in 0114 Light Blue on Periwinkle from Crystal Palace Yarn. Just my ideas.

If she wanted a white how about a winter white or an off white that should go with anything and can be worn any time of the year. If you wanted something a tad dressier, if that is a word lol.. you could add a metalic thread with your yarn.

A cool cotton yarn, especially ribon yarns, in a beige would look very nice and would co-ordinate with many outfits. Even a variegated beige would work.

Bernat Cotton (in softly taupe or cream)

Berroco Cotton Twist (in satin beige or white linen)

LionBrand Glitterspun (in gold)

Patons Grace (in natural, champagne or taupe)

Thanks everyone--I will check out all the links. I was going to make the shawl black before I found out what she would be wearing. I thought black with that dark of a blue wouldn't work very well---be too dark.

Jaclim---I really, really like the idea of slivery gray. I hadn't thought of that. I will do soem checking around.

Nicole

Archived