Critic my DC square...

Ga_Rebel

Question

13 answers to this question

Ok I really do think I have this Double stitch down. Still a little uneven around the edges. But that is still workable. Now the question is...I am making some basic squares for a afghan worked with double stitches. Now no matter how many times I checked the width and length as I worked the measurements are still off with each square. Not by much though just a 1/2 both length wise and width wise. Now is this still workable when it comes to stitching the blocks together. Do I just make the seams thicker and if so how?

Without knowing the over all plan, my observation is that the sides are a bit crooked. :D I find I get a straighter side if I do the last stitch of the row actually into the 3rd chain of the row below, instead of into the chain loop.

I also start the row with a dc (sc) and 2 chain instead of 3 chain.

My other comment is that you have 12 treble (dc) posts in the first row, and then 11 in the second. You need to do an extra treble (dc) in the 11th stich of the first row, and then the 12th treble in the 3rd chain of the first row.

Your stitches are lovely and even and the texture looks great! :D

I hope that makes sence and is useful. I always find the edges annoying, and still after many years have to count the stitches across to ensure I am keeping the correct number. :manyheart

I would love to see what you are working on.

I don't know if I fully understand what you are saying but let me try anyways. Are all the sqaures the same size in the end? and are they sqaure? If so then you shouldn't have a problem sewing them together. I guess the part I am a little confused on is when you say to make the seam thicker.

But if you are making a 6 inch square (or 7 inch or whatever) and you have a 6 1/2" sqaure or something, as a long as all your squares are uniform in size, you shouldn't have a problem sewing them together.

Hope that helps.;)

Hi, Georgia!

I had trouble with the 63 Sampler Afghan squares, if that's what you're doing, because they didn't all come out the same size. I ended up just using the book for ideas (and for washcloths). A great many of my early crochet squares became dish clothes. :blush

I agree with Cupcake about using ch 2's to start rows of double crochet rather than ch 3's. It gives a much neater appearance. You have to be careful, though, not to chain too tightly.

You have good stitch uniformity, which is really nice! Keep it up!

Mary, a former Tennessean.

Are all squares for afghans done in rounds? I was just looking at some patterns to see what I am doing wrong and they are all in rounds. Are there patterns out there for squares that are not worked in rounds.

Oh so I understand for the turning chain make that 2 instead of three. And I am a little confused on where to put the last stitch in the row.

I also noticed that you have 12 stitches in your first row and 11 in the rest. This is an easy mistake to make when first learning to crochet but at least you did not lose any more as you did more rows.

As Cupcake said, make sure you do the last DC into the top of the CH3 at the end of the row.

When you complete a row, do your CH3, THEN turn your work in a clock-wise direction, then when you go to work into the top of the CH, the right side of the CH will be facing and it is easier to work your hook into it.

If you find the sides of your work do not improve, try doing Ch2 instead of CH3. This shortens your stitches on the sides and helps to make it firmer.

The only way you will improve your crocheting is to keep at it.

Dont worry about making anything specific until you have the stitches working for you, then the first thing to try making should be a dishcloth or similar because it is only one square and it does not have to match anything else.

I think that what you are doing, on a small number of stitches, is ideal so just keep going without stopping, just count every now and then. After a while, you will see how your stitches are improving.

If you want to, you can pull it undone and start again or you can keep it as a memento of your first stitches.

The best squares to make into Afghans are usually worked from the centre, in rounds but that is something else to learn.

Good luck.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/CrochetSamples005.jpg

Here is a link to a similar sample. May not be a very clear pic but worth a look.

Don't be confused. You did fine on the remaining rows on where you put your stitch in the turning chain. You just missed puting a stitch in the turning chain of the first row when you did the second row.

You are doing a great job with the double crochet.:cheer

Keep it up.:hug

I guess this is where I get confused. So I go through the center on CH3?

I guess this is where I get confused. So I go through the center on CH3?

Sometimes I go "under" the chain 3 from the row below. I think it looks better if you do the dc in the top chain of the chain 3 from the row below. Sometimes it helps to mark that chain so that you remember to do it. I use bobby pins as markers, but you can use pretty much anything.

If I am having trouble making some rows shorter than others I put my first stitch in the stitch right after the chain is made. I have a lot of trouble evening things up after over 30 yrs. of doing crochet. It finally dawned on me to do this and it works for me.

Archived