Clubbing

I teach elementary school music. At our school, the 5th grades have clubs and each 9 weeks, they go to a different club. This year, I decided to have a crochet club and teach children the wonders of our craft.

Today, I saw 6 of my girls sitting and crocheting. One of them has never been in crochet club - she was taught by one of the girls I taught. I am beginning to see 4th grade students with yarn and hooks. When I watch them crocheting, they look up at me with a smile and say, "next year I'm gonna be in crochet club."

(note: one of my 4th graders always asks me if I will give her a crochet stick. lol)

This is truly an awesome case of Each one Teach Two.

That's fantastic. My sister in law taught my daughter to knit at around that age and she continued through high school. Since beginning college she hasn't had much time but I figure it will be with her forever. Unfortunately, she doesn't care for crochet, despite my efforts. She has to be our family knitter and leave the crochet to me (all of my efforts in learning to knit have been laughable---I lack the coordination to manipulate two needles).

That is wonderful. I've taught my daughter, and she's taught some of her friends, too. It's wonderful to see the knowledge and the joy being passed down!:clap

How wonderful that must be for you to know you have kids anxiously awaiting the time when they can join your club!! :hook

That is so great....it actually brought a tear to my eye! How wonderful to see such young girls begin crocheting....One thing I liked about Crochetville was that there were several young girls and Guys here........that crocheting can be so much more than something old ladies do in their retirement years!!!!!:cheer :cheer :cheer Crochet On!

That's fantastic. My sister in law taught my daughter to knit at around that age and she continued through high school. Since beginning college she hasn't had much time but I figure it will be with her forever. Unfortunately, she doesn't care for crochet, despite my efforts. She has to be our family knitter and leave the crochet to me (all of my efforts in learning to knit have been laughable---I lack the coordination to manipulate two needles).
I've known how to crochet since I was 8 and didn't do much with it for a long time. I learned how to knit in college and spend several years spinning out all kinds of items (including a Dr. Who scarf.) In 1990, I picked a hook back up and haven't knitted much since. I might knit two items a year. I spend a lot of time with a hook in my hand. So there's hope for your daughter. She may come across a sweater pattern that needs a shell border on the collar. (that's what happened to me. :lol )

That's so cute!

I'm a music teacher, too - I teach vocal, 7-12 - and I'm jealous that you have time to do a crochet club! We're so caught up in the performance end of things that I never have a spare minute to do anything but play the piano and help kids prepare solos and do musical...etc...

My kids are always jealous when I wear something I made though!

That's so cute!

I'm a music teacher, too - I teach vocal, 7-12 - and I'm jealous that you have time to do a crochet club! We're so caught up in the performance end of things that I never have a spare minute to do anything but play the piano and help kids prepare solos and do musical...etc...

My kids are always jealous when I wear something I made though!

I used to teach high school chorus. If I were still there, there would absoutely not be any time for a crochet club. You are making a difference in the lives of these kids when you give them your spare moments. They will never forget you.

That's how I learned how to crochet in a crochet club in school. I was in the 7th grade. My first project was a granny square afghan.

Now I'm trying to teach my 7 year old niece and my 40 year old sister. My niece in more into it than my sister. I also just taught a friend how to read patterns. And quess what, she made a hat, sweater, and blanket within one week.

It great to pass on your skills to someone else.

This is wonderful. Kids teaching other kids. Kids that can't wait to be in the club. What a wonderful gift you gave the kids! You are truly blessed.

Linda:cheer

• 4 weeks later...

Now the crocheting craze is all over the school. One of my 3rd grade boys has given me yarn gifts and carries around a plastic box full of crochet. A person who learned from one of my students taught him. His teacher said that her classroom has become crochet central. :hook

Before I retired, I wasa Sp. Ed. teacher. My last yr. was in Jr. High. I started a crochet club there. Right at first I had only 2 girls, then a boy joined & the next thing you know I had a full room. We got to display their work in a showcase in the hall. They were so proud & so was I.

Melissa, you're doing a great thing with the crochet club. I'm from your area, and know how little there is for kids to do after school, and this is definately a hobby that even those who live too far from town can enjoy. I know my kids were isolated because of the distance and lack of transportation when they were in school.

In case anyone wonders, Melissa teaches at the school my children attended. They're 21 and 20 now, so it was a while ago there were there; but it's still a very rural community with little to interest kids if they're not into sports. And a lot of families are low income and limited transportation; but this is something the kids can do with just a few simple supplies from their weekly trip to Walmart.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the good words, Kathy. Going to WalMart is one of the popular activities in our area and it's something they all do. I have friends that willingly donate yarn and hooks to the cause. Some kids' families can only afford the necessities of life so this is also a blessing for them. Not to mention that it's a great stash buster for me. :clap

Melissa, you're doing a great thing with the crochet club. I'm from your area, and know how little there is for kids to do after school, and this is definately a hobby that even those who live too far from town can enjoy. I know my kids were isolated because of the distance and lack of transportation when they were in school.

In case anyone wonders, Melissa teaches at the school my children attended. They're 21 and 20 now, so it was a while ago there were there; but it's still a very rural community with little to interest kids if they're not into sports. And a lot of families are low income and limited transportation; but this is something the kids can do with just a few simple supplies from their weekly trip to Walmart.

Archived