Stiffening Snowflakes

Homebody

I've been looking in the archives and found a year old thread that talked about everyones favorite or best (or what they thought to be at the time) way to stiffen their snowflakes and I was wondering, if after everyone had tried different methods, did you change your mind? I haven't done any yet and would really appreciate your input.

Is it better to add glitter or use a thread with shine or glitter? Is sugar or cornstarch or some other method the best? I have looked at all the different sites that discuss the pros and cons, but I want your input before I start - the tried and true personal favorites! Thanks so much. I am really enjoying working with thread!

I have done alot of stiffening in the past with mostly angels, and some snowflakes. I like Stiffy better than Aleen's. Just a tip: when done drying, use a toothbrush to get off the excess that has dried. It flakes right off, just do it in an area that you don't need to keep clean, it can make alot of dust. Also make sure that the pins you use won't rust. I found that out the hard way! White out will cover if you should get a small rust spot. I find that you can't let the pins in too long or pliers are needed to work them out wiggling back and forth.

I still use Aleene's Fabric Stiffener & Draping Liquid, which I add a little water to, as it is a little on the thick side. I find Stiffy a little to thin, but each person is different.I get it at Michaels and Joanns. Being down here in Florida, I also add a coat laquer. All stiffeners, have a tendency to wilt in the humidity.

Now I have used both glitter and thread with shine. The shine is better, as glitter has a tendency to continue to flake off.:hook

I have made both angels:angel and snowflakes:flake .

I still use Stiffy, and I prefer thread (irridescent Lurex) to glitter. Glitter goes everywhere, no matter how careful you are.

Thanks so much for your opinions. They really do help. I'm also finding out there is a difference in threads even though they all say 100% cotton!

I use Arlene's too. It worked great for my snowmen. I am curious about what to use to send some snowflakes to my family in Florida though. What exactly do you use? After all the work I would hate to have them destroyed.

I use Arlene's too. It worked great for my snowmen. I am curious about what to use to send some snowflakes to my family in Florida though. What exactly do you use? After all the work I would hate to have them destroyed.

I don't live in FL, but I read you can use spray on clear sealer to keep the humidity from making them limp.

I still use Stiffy, and I prefer thread (iridescent Lurex) to glitter. Glitter goes everywhere, no matter how careful you are.

Julie, do you find the Stiffy preserves the shine of the thread? Just wondering because I starched a little fridgie yesterday. . . it was made of perle cotton and I used spray starch as advised on the pattern. Now all the lovely shine of the cotton is gone. :(

Obviously I wouldn't use spray starch for snowflakes as they need to be really hard, but I'm wondering if the other popular methods also remove thread shine?

I've been looking for a clear sealer to preserve my snowflakes and other stiffened pieces. Last time I went to JoAnn's, I couldn't find anything that looked like one. Could you tell me what it's called, exactly? That would be great! :hook

For stiffening, I usually use Aleene's stiffener (don't recall what's it's called), but I've also bought a spray-on stiffener that I haven't tried yet.

I've been looking for a clear sealer to preserve my snowflakes and other stiffened pieces. Last time I went to JoAnn's, I couldn't find anything that looked like one. Could you tell me what it's called, exactly? That would be great! :hook

For stiffening, I usually use Aleene's stiffener (don't recall what's it's called), but I've also bought a spray-on stiffener that I haven't tried yet.

I grab almost any kind of clear sealer. I go into the paint department of Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot & Lowes, that is if I can not get it from Joanns or Michaels.:hook

Archived