corchet hooks

Is there a differance in crochet hooks? I hold mine like a pencil, so I like that little flat spot in the Boye hooks I use. How does Boye compare to Susan Bates and others? I only shop at Wal Mart ........ guess I need to get out more.

Boye hooks are my personal fave. Susan Bates hooks are flat on the bottom of the hook part, where boye hooks are rounded. I don't know if that will make sense, but hey I tried:think . Oh, and the plastic hooks are rough on the tip & get caught on yarn, you can file it down, but Boye works for me so why mess with a good thing. I would like to try a wooden one though.

SB hooks are considered "in-line"(I hope that's the term!) hooks that don't stick out like Boye hooks. If you were to view the hook at a profile, it's in-line with the shaft and straight, get it? It's all a matter of preference. For me, I prefer SB Silvalume hooks by far since they work things up quicker for me and they hold the yarn better when working the stitches.

I use the old SB (American made) aluminum hooks. The notch at the hook is deeper and holds the yarn better for me. I have some Boye, but I just can't get used to using them. Aways losing my yarn! It's just a matter of what works for you. I also love wooden hooks that don't have a lot of decorative ridges carved on them. The ridges hurt because of the way I hold my hook.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm brand new to crochet and taught myself how with a Boye hook so it is all I know. However, I just purchased some bamboo hooks so we will see how they compare soon.

Kelli

[QUTOE]. However, I just purchased some bamboo hooks so we will see how they compare soon.

I bought a complete set of Bamboo hooks ( from size G through size P) and I like them a lot. I was doing a lot of felted purses so I was using the larger hooks, and they are great. But lately I have been using the smaller hooks, and they are shorter than the large ones (5 1/2" long) and I find the end of the hook tends to dig inot my palm.

How long are the Bates or Boye hooks?

Thanks!

Joan

:hug Go here for lots of hook discussions...

I prefer Boye type hooks and therefore, since they are designed to be similar, LOVE :manyheart my TOTC hooks. I have some Bates hooks as well as other types of the in-line hooks and don't care for them. As such, since the Brittany hooks are Bates type, they drive me crazy! I file the hook part so that it is more Boye type!

Funny how we all have distinct preferences, isn't it?

I have a blog http://hooklady.blogspot.com/ dedicated to crochet hooks. There is a picure on it so you can see the difference between Boye & Bates hooks. Hope this helps and let me know if you have other hook questions.

Is there a differance in crochet hooks? I hold mine like a pencil, so I like that little flat spot in the Boye hooks I use. How does Boye compare to Susan Bates and others? I only shop at Wal Mart ........ guess I need to get out more.

Archived