Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Hi Melena and Butterfly, welcome to the quiltghan addict- uh, enthusiasts group! :welcome

Don't worry about timeframes; Debbi is right about how CALs work. To the best of my knowledge, a CAL never closes as long as people are working on projects and posting in the thread. The original host may no longer be posting, having gone on to other things or whatever, but you can usually tell who is still involved by looking at recent posts.

The only "rules" are those of courtesy; there are no dumb questions, so ask away. And we love to see pics in progress! Oh, and when you post a pic? make sure you tell us something about the yarn and pattern you're using, 'cause we'll be consumed with curiosity! One of the neatest things about this CAL is seeing all the different interpretations of a single pattern.

But most of all, have fun! :manyheart:hug

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to tell you all about the neatest software I found! :yay

I ordered the Quilt Design Wizard software from Jo-Ann.com and it arrived yesterday. It's put out by the Electric Quilt people, who also produce the full blown product, Electric Quilt 5. Apparently EQ5 will do everything except stitch the quilt for you, and that's supposed to be in the next release (just kidding):lol. Anyway, the software I got is a simpler (and much cheaper!) version of EQ5. What I like it for is to try different quilt blocks in an arrangement to see how alternating two different blocks create secondary patterns. You can print the result out in color as if it had fabrics, or as an outline - think coloring page.

Essentially, crocheted afghans composed of squares fit right into this paradigm, so you can design your own quiltghan by figuring out how to crochet the block you are interested in, and selecting a joining method.:hook I like how you can play with colors to see what the final ghan would look like. As of now, I know of three ways to build a block; the first two involve charting the design and either doing color changes as you crochet row by row, or cross-stitching the design onto an afghan stitch background. The third copies the fabric quilt method by making shaped patches (like quilt fabric pieces) to join/whipstitch into a block, which are then joined. I'm trying to build a "library" of shapes that I can join together as I go (have I mentioned how much I love weaving ends? Not. :no). So far, I've got a basic square, granny square, triangle, the hexagon star motif from the prairie star pattern, and an octogon star/parallelogram from an old book (Making Afghans from Favorite American Quilt Patterns, isbn 0385185456, 1985)

The software was on special for 23.99 earlier this week at Jo-ann when they had a free shipping deal, don't know what its cost is now, but should be around $25 plus shipping. After I play around with this version for a while, I may spring for the EQ5, which apparently lets you draw your own designs, not just select from a block library like this one does.

An added use for this program is to print out geometric coloring pages for kids. Do you recall Roger Barrow's Images coloring book series? My son's 2nd grade teacher gave her kids pages from it to color if they finished assignments early in class; they loved 'em! Exercises good spatial and math skills.

edited to fix EQ5 software title

edited to add book search link for Valerie Kurita's book

So, could you guys keep this CAL going for a while? :yes I really want to do this but I have that Cathedral window that is probably going to take over my whole life for a good while yet.

That Prairie Star is calling my name but reality rears its ugly head yet again and the Window is a must do.

Y'all keep stitching now, Yah hear:lol

I've started the around the world afghan. I have 7 squares done. It seems to be going fast right now but I have a feeling its not going to stay that way. I hope everyone else is coming along nicely with their afghans.

So, could you guys keep this CAL going for a while? :yes I really want to do this but I have that Cathedral window that is probably going to take over my whole life for a good while yet.

That Prairie Star is calling my name but reality rears its ugly head yet again and the Window is a must do.

I'm in the same boat! Prairie Star is calling my name too as is the Babette blanket. But I'm determined to finish the Cathedral Rose first. Nonetheless I put the Cathedral Rose aside for the afternoon and made an American Pie 12" square. I was going to donate it to the Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) afghan before I read about the color coordination they prefer. So, now at 4:30 in the afternoon, I finally decided to have breakfast (yoghurt) and make a light lunch as well. You might say I'm hooked on hooking!

Oh, I don't think this CAL is disappearing anytime soon! Now that I've got that quilt software, I think I'll be a permanent resident here :dreaming :yay

Right now, I'm working on a rail fence variation. Here's a screen capture of my design:

RailFenceAfghanRs.jpg

the colorful blocks are described as Rail Fence IV and the mostly pale-blue blocks with side stripes are Half Snowball variations. The blocks are set on-point and I added 3 mitered borders to complete the design. I'm halfway through one rail fence block so far.

I'm using caron simply soft pale green, limelight, mango, and papaya for the rail fence blocks, limelight and berry blue for the half snowball blocks, papaya and lime for the borders, and pale blue for everything else. I'll post a pic when I can.

I was thinking of trying that technique of making the shapes in sc for a quilt. I would really like to see what I could do with it...After the Window is done:lol :yes

I once did a cute little railfence (Var.) baby quilt - it was so cute. loved it

I was thinking of trying that technique of making the shapes in sc for a quilt. I would really like to see what I could do with it...After the Window is done:lol :yes

I once did a cute little railfence (Var.) baby quilt - it was so cute. loved it

Repeat after me: After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done:whew :help:neener:bang:thair

After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done After the Window is done

I just have to tell you all about the neatest software I found! :yay

I ordered the Quilt Design Wizard software from Jo-Ann.com and it arrived yesterday. It's put out by the Electric Quilt people, who also produce the full blown product, Electric Quilt 5.

Does the software have blocks for standard quilts already in it, or do you have to put them in??

Butterfly how are you joining your squares on your around the world afghan? How are you coming on it? I have 9 squares done and am just starting to join them. It is working up fast.:cheer

Does the software have blocks for standard quilts already in it, or do you have to put them in??
Already in there! :yay The blocks display in suggested colors. In fact, the colors you see in the sketch I posted were how the Rail Fence block was displayed. I liked 'em and kept them. I then "picked up" those colors from the Rail Fence to apply to the borders, and change the half snowball block to match. The colors come from the internal fabric library. Nothing in the fabric library comes close to the effect of sections of variegated yarns, though. that's ok, I knew there would be limitations.

The number of blocks in its block library is a limiting factor in the software (this is the cheap version, remember). You can add blocks by finding a quilt project in the right format, opening it within the software, and adding the project's blocks to the software's block library. The EQ company has free projects on its web site and I know of at least one collection of 200 projects stored in EQ format for sale. But I haven't outgrown this block library yet; has way more blocks than I'll ever use! That said, one reason I might upgrade soon, however, is that Quilt Design Wizard is limited to square blocks, which leaves out hexagons, etc like the Prairie Star, which I'd dearly like to play with.

The Electric Quilt company also puts out software called BlockBase, which is a database of 4000+ quilt blocks. It's the cd version of Barbara Brackman's Encylopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. I think Quilt Design Wizard will access this database, and I know the company's premier product, Electric Quilt 5, does. Blockbase can be used on its own to look at and print out blocks, which is more useful for a quilter than for me; I want to use the block in a design, not print it out singly for cutting. EQ5 apparently has drawing tools that let you create blocks to add to a block library, plus you can scan stuff to add to the fabric/color library.

I'm not ready to spring for the EQ5 just yet, but I'm getting there! One comment I saw on Jo-Ann.com about EQ5 applies here; "...it's fun to make designs, even if you never get around to making the quilt....." Not that crocheters would have this problem, of course; we always finish what we start :rofl

edited to fix grammar

Check this out...

http://wovenspun.com/indexmain.htm

it should take you to a page with quilt blocks graphed out already Not!

Ok, that link gets you to the main page

click on Free Patterns from the left menu

scroll down to Crocheted Graph Patterns and click on Quilt squares 1 - it's the only one there at this moment

I am starting to join the squares for my around the world. I am using the tunisan style patricia posted about. It work really nice without the bulk and it is not as painstaking as whip stitching. Just a little more work and I'll have three rows done. :cheer Then I will need to go buy some more yarn.:yarn:devil

When I'm actually working on mine I whipped stitch mine together, does take time... I'm going to check out that other stitch. I did crochet a few sqaures last weekend (over the holiday) but not much. I have a baby afghan for a shower to do and did some squares for my dad's afghan for Christmas (not a quilt one, just squares). I like doing a variety of things...

Debbi

Debbi-don't we all!! I think that is was causes the problem of UFOs. :) I am also working on a baby afghan and a doily. Both for other people. It helps get the boring projects done if you can take a break and work on something else.

I've finished another round on my around the world...now to make way to many purple squares for the next round. I will not let this become a ufo. I will not let this become a ufo. I will not let this become a ufo.

I've finished another round on my around the world...now to make way to many purple squares for the next round. .

Congrats on your next round!

I will not let this become a ufo. I will not let this become a ufo. I will not let this become a ufo.

LOL

Mine has, in a way, as I have 2 baby blankets to do, one done (Baby Blanket ) and one more to go, all ready started. Then I can work on some more squares (sewing and/or crocheting).

Debbi

sorry to miss so much of the summer, but it was pretty out. what was i supposed to do? i've got no willpower in the flower garden. but summer is winding down and this weekend, i picked my hooks back up and i'm going to get back to my quiltghan. i'm almost done with the around the world pattern. 2 more rounds of squares to make and then i'll have a total of 3 to sew together. i'm just whipstitching the squares together. hopefully i'll finish it before next spring :lol. i'm making some other stuff, too. some cell phone cases, scarves, hats. just whatever strikes my fancy. but the quiltghan became a UFO and i surely didn't intend for that to happen. so, back to it. even if you folks have to give me a :kick .

Nice baby blanket debbi. I am still working on the purple round. My aunt-in-law (?) passed away this past thursday so we were busy with all of that. But now its back to work. hehe

Wow. you guys are really creating some beauties! :manyheart

Makes me want to start one. Notice I said *START*? :lol I doubt that I would finish. :devil I have a problem with finishing.

Archived