Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Dazy --- I just love those colors! Looks like they were made to go together!

Lynn

i think they must be. at least walmart had them grouped together in the same spot for people like me.:think

tabitha~yours is coming along nicely. i like the colors you chose. i think i'd like to do one with bold colors for our son someday. he's not the neutrals, pastels, or soft colors type. he would like your color choices.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dazy - thank you for the post of the Rainbow Square. I'll print it out for when I start on that afghan.

I ended up at Michael's tonight inadvertantly. I went to dinner with some friends and we were going to see a movie, but didn't check the times before hand and nothing good was playing when we finally got to the theatre. So we decided to just go to Barnes & Noble and browse around and talk. This was in a new part of town I'm not used to, so I didn't know there was a Michael's right beside the B&N. I convinced the friend to go there with me and help pick out yarn for the PS.

Combining what I have at home with what I purchased tonight, here's my color scheme:

Caron SS Sage

Caron SS Orchid

Caron SS Off White

RH Aran

RH Medium Purple

RH Watercolor (variegated)

I'm going to use the Sage for the center star and then the variegated around it then the purples as the points for the center star.

Question: Do you think it's a bad idea to mix the two types of yarn, or will this be okay?

Ok, as much as I want to get started on this now -- it's 11:00 and I have to get up really early tomorrow, so I should get to bed and I'll start on it tomorrow.

Good night!

~Tiffany

Dazy and Tabitha - those are drop-dead gorgeous! :cheer:hug:applause

Dazy, thank you very much for the rainbow square link - I followed it and spent a lot of time looking at her other quiltghan squares. Did you see the tumbling blocks one (called Baby Blocks)? On the other hand, the diamond for the PS would work, too. Love, love, your color scheme - I agree, very restful and elegant, too.

Tabitha - I love how you are using two slightly different square patterns in the same colors - what are the traditional quilt names for those blocks?

Got a little more done on my PS:

PrairieStar13Cpresize.jpg

This pic is actually taken of the back - the edges are curving away from the camera. And how do you like the illusion of having finished off the ends? (I do plan to - that was a great idea - I'd be depressed facing them all at the end)

........Combining what I have at home with what I purchased tonight, here's my color scheme:

Caron SS Sage

Caron SS Orchid

Caron SS Off White

RH Aran

RH Medium Purple

RH Watercolor (variegated)

I'm going to use the Sage for the center star and then the variegated around it then the purples as the points for the center star.

Question: Do you think it's a bad idea to mix the two types of yarn, or will this be okay?......

Tiffany, we really need AJ and Ines to weigh in on this one - they're the PS experts. I'm doing mine all in caron ss. I'm of two minds on this one; gauge is an issue when combining two different yarn weights; RH is mid, caron ss is light, ww. On the other hand, this whole pattern seems to be pretty stretchy - it might not matter. One way to get info before committing yourself would be to make a diamond of one, and see how well a diamond of the other could be joined with it. Consider, though, that I'm the one who thought it was ok to substitute Red Heart for Homespun... I've learned a lot since then, but I'm still inclined to take chances on modifying patterns, and not skilled enough to know in advance whether it will work or be a disaster.

I guess the question is how willing are you to frog (a lot!:eek) if it turns out not to be working? Me, I'd chance it - I love the colors you mentioned - and the result would have a really neat surface texture, going from one type to the next. ummm, be warned: I get a lot of frogging practice....:hook

Hi Everyone,

Your quilts all look fantastic. :manyheart Welcome to the CAL Tiffany. :welcome

I just thought I'd weigh in on the Prairie Star question you had. I have made a block afghan using both Red Heart and Caron SS. I agree with Patricia - gauge is a bit of an issue - I had to use one size larger hook on the SS than the RH. However, everyone is individual so you should try a diamond in each to check your gauge. The colors sound great together and the different textures might give your afghan a really interesting look. I think my mixed afghan looks fine, but it is not the Prairie Star where the diamonds are smaller. I guess you'll have to see if you like it as you go, but I am betting will look wonderful! Good luck!

Got a little more done on my PS:

PrairieStar13Cpresize.jpg

This pic is actually taken of the back - the edges are curving away from the camera. And how do you like the illusion of having finished off the ends? (I do plan to - that was a great idea - I'd be depressed facing them all at the end)

Oh Patricia you sounded just like me when I was about to post my first pic!!! I too thought I would cleverly hide the ends as opposed to cleveryly weaving them in and then decided against it because if I know me well, I will never get to it!! There is proof of that in in one of the doilies I made! I posted the pic here with the ends hanging loose and I am yet to take it up!!!!

Well done on your PS!!!!

hugs

Vims

Dazy,

I saw your pictures and it's beautiful. I really love how you're using the colors. Where did you get the pattern for the rainbow square?

Also, forgot to add my real name in my last post - it's Tiffany. Nice to meet everyone.

~Tiffany

first off welcome to Crochetville :hug! You are never too late to join!! I have saved a ton of fabric quilt pattern to adapt to crochet:lol!!! So I will be here too even if I finish my prairie star. I want to make quilt everything like bag, placemat, runner in thread(Oh my very ambitious of me isn't it?)!! So lets see how long I will be here. And yes oh yes I definitely want to do the tumbling blocks in shades of blue!!!

off to work on my prairie star now:):yarn

hugs

Vims

Patricia --- Your PS is coming along nicely! Such soft colors! Love it! What other colors are you putting with the pink and orchid!

Tiffany ----- You are using the same colors I am using in my Squash Blossom!:lol Purple, orchid and watercolor! I just love the purple/off white/sage color combination.

Lynn

Hi, Tiffany! :hi:welcome love your colors, I agree with Lynn - those are so soothing :c9:yes

Lynn - Thank you :blush I've taken out parts of the pattern so that I only plan to use A B C, E and F. A is soft pink, B is orchid, C is soft blue, E is white and F is baby brights, all in caron ss (that's from memory - I'll recheck my letter designations and edit later if necessary). I just love the pink and orchid together - the blue will appear next as the inner star points instead of a complete round (that's the change), and the white diamond section will be 4, not 9 diamonds. I wanted to make a smaller 'ghan than in the pattern. I just can't leave well enough alone.....don't think I've ever made any pattern exactly as called for!:think

Vims Thank you for that insight:lol I knew I needed to own up to it at time of posting, or risk having to 'fess up later when praised for my neatness! And I'm with you on the patterns - I started collecting fabric quilt patterns just for crochet purposes - I've used a sewing machine in the past, but it's been a looong time. Plus, you need space to spread out when doing a fabric quilt; crochet - all you need is a comfy chair :c9

Diane oooh, oooh, I'd love to see your mixed yarn block afghan. Post a pic, pretty please? (w/ cherries on top?) :D SS has so few variegated colors, I'd love to mix ss solids w/ RH vari's if I could. thanks, Diane and Frann, for the hook size solution - didn't occur to me, but that would probably solve the gauge issue :hook I think we're all encouraging Tiffany to go for it! right?

Evelyn sounds like we're in about the same spot on the PS - did you say you were using close to the original colors? those are so pretty....looking forward to a pic when you get the chance! :photo

ummm... no further progress - had too much fun posting last night, no crochet time before bed! :lol

Oh Patricia! Those are just lovely colors! Continue to post pics as you get your rounds done so we can see!

I plan to get 1 block of my Squash Blossom done then post a picture. The blocks are large - it only takes 4 blocks for the quilt.

Lynn

gosh, everybody is so busy on their quiltghans. and it's great the way you all are jumping in to help with tips and hints and color choices. what a bunch:hug .

patricia, you're coming right along. nice pic and pretty colors.

i got another round joined on my ATW last night. now i have to finish the rest of the squares for that group. each color group is being used twice in the ghan, and i'm making myself do all of one color group at the same time. that way it's done and over with. then when i get the groups done, i'll just have to join all the second rounds. does that make any sense at all?

anyhow, keep up the good work, gang.:cheer

Thank you for everyone's input on using the two yarns. I created the first motif in each type of yarn to check gauge this afternoon - and they are the same size if I use an I hook for the RH and a J hook for the SS. So I'm going to try doing it with two yarns and see how it turns out. :scared I may end up frogging if I don't like how it looks, but it's worth a try.

Go for it! If both motifs came out the same size then you shouldn't have any problem. Let us know how its working out. :yarn

Lynn

First off everyone is doing a great job. Sorry for not posting. I finished my churndash and wanted to share with the group I started with. I didnt make it as big as the pattern called for, that was almost big enough to put on my king size bed. Seeing as how I am gifting it to my sister this is better. I hope you all like it. Keep up the good work. You guys are doing beautiful. Take Care!!

IM001821.jpg

Brandy, that is awesome! Your sister will be so pleased... Thank you so much for sharing it with us :hug I see now how large the churndash blocks are - if you'd kept going....!:eek the inner texture is so cool; I know the fabric quilt makers can do some really neat stuff with printed fabrics, but I think the crochet world has quite a bit to explore here, too. Just think of all the neat texture stitches we could use to spice up the block patterns, not just color.

Have you thought of entering it in a local fair? It is so elegant!

Tiffany, Go For It! :applause I think every big project ought to have a neat story, and working to combine these two yarns will help make this one. Hope you'll share your lessons learned as you go - I'd like to try it, too.

Dazy, I think I understand what you meant about the second round of color - you are at the place where you can attach the first round of that color, but need the intervening rows of (different colors) done before you can attach the second round, right? And are doing and setting aside the 2nd row's worth of the current color for when its round position is ready. Hey, that means after you finish the round with the last color combo, you'll just have joining to attach all the second rounds and you'll be done! :cheer

Love what you've done so far - that's the pattern I'd like to do for an ATW. Right now my quiltghan WIM list is: Tumbling blocks, hopefully in a rainbow, followed by an ATW, then Log Cabin. I may never graduate from this CAL! :wink

Oh Brandy! That turned out just beautiful! Your sister is going to just love it! So, what's next on your list?

Lynn

Thank you for everyone's input on using the two yarns. I created the first motif in each type of yarn to check gauge this afternoon - and they are the same size if I use an I hook for the RH and a J hook for the SS. So I'm going to try doing it with two yarns and see how it turns out. :scared I may end up frogging if I don't like how it looks, but it's worth a try.
you know, if you do the two different types of yarn and it doesn't suit you, you don't have to frog it. you could seperate the two kinds of diamonds, add to each and have 2 prairie stars. one in RH and one in SS. twice the work :lol .

Archived