Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Ok have 1 word for you all.... Bad!! So I know most of you have been busy on your crocheted quilts.. I am just starting... or will be soon...Shame Julie shame on you lol ...

I decided since I have so many projects here to do a baby blocks quilt. It is the pattern from cost & clark on the purplekitty yarns site.. One of the sites Julie had up on the first posting.... So time will tell here .... And now see what you have all done to me lol... Now I have to learn how to post a picture here lol... I know how to do one on email.. guess it is about time I learn something new !!!lol

I also ordered the snb book and The big book of crochet thru Overstock.com so waiting to get those..... so much yarn so many patterns and books here I will never quit crocheting lol...Good thing my hubby loves and appreciates my crochet talent!!

This is my first along thing so any suggesions??

:manyheart

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AJ,

Thanks so much for your advice. You must be a designer at heart! The idea of an 5 - point shaped afghan is tempting...I'll have to think about this one. My dh really likes this one's colors and was a bit dismayed when I showed him the 5-points. We'll have to see!

Thanks again :hug - and good luck deciding on your next project!

This is my first along thing so any suggesions??

Just jump right in and being the madness!! ... er, crocheting. Yea, that's what I meant! ;)

AJ,

Thanks so much for your advice. You must be a designer at heart! The idea of an 5 - point shaped afghan is tempting...I'll have to think about this one. My dh really likes this one's colors and was a bit dismayed when I showed him the 5-points. We'll have to see!

Thanks again :hug - and good luck deciding on your next project!

Thanks! I'm sure either way you go with it, it will be beautiful.

....putting together different color swatches of Caron Simply Soft yarn to see what palette I wanted to use.....

and here's all the possibles I put together:

PS-possibles.jpg

Sooooo... if you were me....which one would you choose? So many choices!! :bang

AJ, I love the blues/greens, but then I'm partial to that combo. And thank you so much for sharing the simply soft palettes you worked out! I can imagine making PS's (or other designs; would it be ok to copy your pic for my personal use?) with different color schemes to match friends' decor :dreaming (umm, maybe I'd better get my first diamond working first.... :think

I'm also thinking - can one still find the fisherman color? I think I'd heard that it has been discontinued, but I can't verify my info source. On the other hand, it's true I've been collecting caron simply soft since last September, as many colors as I could lay hands on, and haven't seen fisherman yet. My sources have been limited mostly to one store (ACMoore), though. It'd be a shame to set your heart on a palette, and find out one of the colors was discontinued....

That said, I think I like best the one you almost went with (has toasted almond in it, I think?) because I think the most striking element of the pattern is how the half stars (look like erupting flames to me) along the edges of the hexagon jump out in the stronger color values. To choose between your first and second choices, I think I'd consider where the afghan will used and what its decorative function will be. Your first choice is more subtle in shade than the second. I imagine that would mean that someone looking at it would see the pattern emerging more gradually, and thus tend to look at it longer in interest. But it might be overshadowed in a "busy" setting. I'd pick the bolder one (second choice) if I needed to make a stronger statement or emphasize a matching color in the rest of the space's decor.

(I just re-read this, and I'm laughing - I haven't ever matched decor colors in my life! or made a "statement", whatever that means. "eclectic" would be a kind description of my home... - but I was trying to imagine what the differences between your two favorites might be, and that's what I came up with. Just wanted to warn you that I have *no* experience with interior design!)

well I have two rows of three panels done . and I think I am going to run out of woodsy green . I have checked with joanns and they don't have it in stock so I guess I am will have to order it from caron. On top of that my aran are two different shades and it was sent straight from the company . It is not that noticeable but I know it . I haven't put any on the section that I am going to show you .

th_102_1815.jpg

th_102_1814.jpg

I think its coming out really nice . It just bugs me that there is a slight color change.

Diane you ps is very pretty even if it is only 5 pts.

Donna good luck .

And happy crocheting to the rest of us

Looks wonderful...Diane

Before my youngest dd was born I did a baby afghan done in small squares and had to join them all together and said never again lol... Well see you ladies got me into this lol so it looks like one should never say never lol lol..

snbarclay - WOW! It's just beautiful!!!

AJ - those colors are beautiful together! Very earthy!

Well I got home just a little bit ago and thank the Lord, NO SURGERY!!! WOO-HOO! :cheer Dr Oliver said there is no need for back surgery to fix my leg, he's positive physical therapy will put me right again! Also, even though I do have the beginnings of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left hand he says it's not bad enough to operate yet. He gave me a splint I have to wear at night and he said until I have pain and weakness I pretty much have to deal with the tingling...

I also went to the cardiologist for my yearly check up and he's not pleased. My heart rate has risen again (all my blood work is perfect so he's stumped). I've been getting dizzy again which is what happened the first time my heart rate was skyrocketing. So now I have to go in for a heart monitor and EKG again. UGH! Wearing that heart monitor for 24 hrs is a royal pain in the you know what! :eek Oh well. I'm just happy that I don't need back surgery after all!!!

I got the bedspread afghan booklet I ordered off eBay in the mail today and it's KILLING me not to start on the darn thing. I MUST FINISH WIP'S FIRST!

Everyone is doing fabulous on these quilts! Just wanted to check in even though I didn't get to work on mine today. Have a great rest of the day everyone! :D

P.S. Thanks everyone for the cheers and encouragement!

AJ, I love the blues/greens, but then I'm partial to that combo. And thank you so much for sharing the simply soft palettes you worked out! I can imagine making PS's (or other designs; would it be ok to copy your pic for my personal use?) with different color schemes to match friends' decor :dreaming (umm, maybe I'd better get my first diamond working first.... :think

I'm also thinking - can one still find the fisherman color? I think I'd heard that it has been discontinued, but I can't verify my info source. On the other hand, it's true I've been collecting caron simply soft since last September, as many colors as I could lay hands on, and haven't seen fisherman yet. My sources have been limited mostly to one store (ACMoore), though. It'd be a shame to set your heart on a palette, and find out one of the colors was discontinued....

That said, I think I like best the one you almost went with (has toasted almond in it, I think?) because I think the most striking element of the pattern is how the half stars (look like erupting flames to me) along the edges of the hexagon jump out in the stronger color values. To choose between your first and second choices, I think I'd consider where the afghan will used and what its decorative function will be. Your first choice is more subtle in shade than the second. I imagine that would mean that someone looking at it would see the pattern emerging more gradually, and thus tend to look at it longer in interest. But it might be overshadowed in a "busy" setting. I'd pick the bolder one (second choice) if I needed to make a stronger statement or emphasize a matching color in the rest of the space's decor.

(I just re-read this, and I'm laughing - I haven't ever matched decor colors in my life! or made a "statement", whatever that means. "eclectic" would be a kind description of my home... - but I was trying to imagine what the differences between your two favorites might be, and that's what I came up with. Just wanted to warn you that I have *no* experience with interior design!)

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the Fisherman color, but now that you mention it, I can't find it on any sites, even shopcaron.com! :eek:cry

Hmm... well now I have to rethink this....

Sure, you can copy the pic! I'd be honored!

Ok, back to photoshop and to see what other groups I can come up with...

AJ the colors that you put together look awesome. I'm with Patricia on picking the second choice one. But to be honest they all are wonderful and you wouldnt go wrong with any of them....:cheer

Where do you find drunkards path pattern?:)

I like that pattern

Have a nice day

I found the drunkards path in the book that I ordered off of ebay....Crochet Ultimate Book of Quilt Afghans, plus it even has the double wedding ring quilt afghan in it too. That is going to be my next big project....:devil

OK, here's an updated color palette group. Fisherman is gone, Toasted Almond is back in :), and I made the Off White more true to color (the actual yarn is a more buttercream color, I thought something looked funny and then got out one of my skeins of Simply Soft Off White and matched from that.)

PS-colors.0.jpg

Those of you who said you liked the look with the Toasted Almond were right... it does need a darker color in the center. Thanks!:D

......Thank you, Patricia for your amazing powers of observation!! I had a great laugh about it.
ummm.... you're welcome? (I still think it was a neat idea!)
......Should I change it to a 6 point, or strive ahead with the 5?....
Diane, that's a tough choice; I'd be inclined to go w/ AJ's idea if you are sticking with the 5 point, trying to use the pattern in putting in the rest of the diamonds that fill in the star points, and only changing the pattern to a border if you couldn't make the half-stars work along the edges of the pentagon. It looks like it is working so far, right?

I've been trying to figure out what would happen if you went ahead with the design elements in the original. I'm not sure the white diamonds would meet in a straight line; you might end up with a 10-sided figure, which would be pretty cool. I guess it kind of depends on how adventurous you feel like being. I think it looks gorgeous, and I'd be hard-pressed to give it up at this stage. But I have to admit that I'm the one who thought it was ok to switch from homespun in a pattern to red heart (didn't know what homespun was, had some RH on hand, how much difference could it make, anyhow? quite a bit.... - voila', my first UFO!)

As a guess for the dimensions, we know from the pattern's gauge that the central 6 pointed star should be 40.5" (6 diamonds end-to-end, 6x6.75"). You could measure your 5 pointed star from the point of the white section to the opposing star point (have to add another dark diamond in that spot first) and multiple it by 1.9 (the original design length divided by central star dimension 40.5/77) and see what the pentagon size from vertex to opposite side would be...(this ought to work, I hope.....:think )

Whichever you choose, you'll learn a lot, and have quite a story to tell. We'll eagerly await the outcome! and shouldn't each masterpiece have a neat story behind it?:yay

AJ

THAT ONE IS VERY PRETTY ITS THE BEST

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMENTS ON MINE

I HAVE NO IDEAH :think WHAT COLOR COMES NEXT ON MINE

SO FOR ITS FUCHIA, ARAN AND WINDSER BLUE

IM GOING TO USE BURGANY THEN I HAVE NO IDEAH FOR THE REST:think IM OPEN TO SUGESTIONS:yes

HAVE A NICE DAY

Good day Everyone.

I spent quite a while on line in this forum reading last night. The signed off and made 7 small granny squares for the nine patch and 2 prairie star diamonds. I do love this one.

I am a glutton for punishment but I will have fun doing these two and my GMFG afghan. I feel so happy being back in the swing of crocheting again.

We will move our furniture in over at the other house tomorrow and then I will spend a day or 2 setting up and crochetig.

I will be off line for a day or 2 until we get the modem hooked back up and everything going again. But I will have the smw email addy. My daughter will do all this for me.

I am going to do the prairie star in red white and blue and verigated R?W?B.

So I am off to crochet some squares and diamonds.

Bye

Mary Ann:hook :hug

....I got the bedspread afghan booklet I ordered off eBay in the mail today and it's KILLING me not to start on the darn thing. I MUST FINISH WIP'S FIRST!
hmmm.... not trying to weaken your willpower (oh yes, I am - why should you be the only one without UFO's!:devil ) - but I seriously think that with your physical concerns, what you need is to start your lovely star bedspread :hook and soothe your heart. Lots cheaper than a medical solution.....Ok, I have an ulterior motive; I wanted to ask what issue of the mag (Crochet Patterns by Herschner's, right?) you won on eBay - I'd like to start searching for it, too!

I am relieved for you that you don't have to have surgery, either for your back or wrist - and I'm rooting for you with the (dratted) Holter monitor - hopefully it will show some information instead of putting you through the 24 hours of inconvenience and then show *nothing*.

Thank you for the welcome Brandy.... With all my stash in yarn I think I can come up with something without having to even go shopping lol... A perk of being a yarnaholic lol... Think ya all can relate to that.

:yarn:hook:yay:hook:yarn

Oh that 9 Patch is gorgeous and Evelyn your colors are stunning too.

For the PS colors, I think the toasted Almond added just the right touch to it. Go for it.

Lynn

Ok I need help :dreaming

I can't decide whether I want my next project to be another Prairie Star (for me this time) or the Americana Afghan for the Patriotic CAL. (which I'd like to have done for the 4th of July):shrug

I sat in Photoshop all morning putting together different color swatches of Caron Simply Soft yarn to see what palette I wanted to use. I found the group I want (oh so pretty) and I'd love to get started on it like right NOW, BUT I also want to do the flag afghan so that I've got that done in time. AND being that that one is with Homespun (which can sometimes be tricky) I want to give myself plenty of time. :loco

And yea, I tried the pattern for the stars this morning? :confusedWOW It took me 3 times to get it right. I think I was having an extended brain fart or something because it's such a simple design for the star, but my over analytical brain was making it more difficult than it should have been. Anyway, I got it right and have one sitting here completed with some spare white yarn I had sitting around. It looks nice, but doing 50 of these will drive me crazy so that's another reason I'd like to have a good long time frame to do this afghan in.

Anyway, here's my color choices for my Prairie Star:

PS-colors.jpg

and here's all the possibles I put together:

PS-possibles.jpg

So why don't I just buy the yarn for both afghans? Well, besides the fact that my hubby would about KILL me (LOL) I can only afford at the moment to do one or the other. In a few weeks I can start on the other one.

And two other factors: JoAnn's has Homespun at a killer price until the 29th, which would be one reason to do the flag afghan now, and Simply Soft is always inexpensive.:yarn

Sooooo... if you were me (which at this point I bet you're thankful you're NOT!) ;) which one would you choose? So many choices!! :bang

i really like your colors you picked out. its what i would have done. similar to the colors i'm using in my ATW, except i have a variagated thrown in.

you know, i've enjoyed looking at all the prairie stars, but hadn't seen the diagram for it. when i saw yours, i didn't see the star. i saw the optical illusion that makes it look like stacked blocks. how weird is that? or am i just nutz? (don't answer that).:P

Where do you find drunkards path pattern?:)

I like that pattern

Have a nice day

Hi, Evelyn :hi

In addition to the pattern book Brandy mentioned, I've seen a variant on a drunkard's path block pattern in a Leisure Arts Little book (#75060 Pink & Blue for Baby) called Dreamy Wrap. They've arranged the blocks differently, such that the resulting pattern looks like a winding path, plus it uses only one of the two block color schemes. A true drunkard's path makes the block in two schemes, reversing the colors between the inner quarter circle and remainder of the square. Of course, you could use this pattern and refer to a picture of someone's finished 'ghan to make the right number, color schemes, and layout of blocks. This booklet is currently being sold in Walmart, and other craft stores, I think for around 2.75 or 3.50 (not sure which). It has 5 other patterns as well (baby blankets, bibs, bottle warmers).

Shelly/insurechick posted that she got her pattern from a Lionbrand booklet, as discussed here. You might prefer the Lionbrand booklet, since it contains all quilt-look patterns. I know I still see that booklet for sale at ACMoore. should be same price.

differences between these two booklets to consider:

-baby booklet has other baby patterns, lionbrand is all quilts.

-same number of designs, though, I think.

-baby uses worsted weight, LB uses homespun (consider expense, ease of crocheting, warmth).

-I think the blocks in the baby version have a smaller border making up the rest of the square surrounding the quarter circle and are quite a bit smaller overall.

-In the baby book, you get an alternate version, the LB, you get the main version; depends on how much variety you want/need vs how comfortable you are at using another pic to give you the layout/color scheme info missing from the baby version.

-should be equally easy/hard to find in LYS, about same price, too (both digest sized)

If I see it anywhere else, I'll post the info here. Best of luck finding a version you like!

Archived