What Do You Want To See In a Crochet Toy?

Donna's crochet Designs

Question

Hello!

I've learned so much from reading this forum, ie what you want to see or not see in patterns, chart verses instructions--I can't wait to see what kind of responses in answer to my question:

What do you want to see in a crochet toy?

I just finished an inside-out toy, lion when turned inside out becomes a hippo--don't ask me why I chose that combination, it just appealed to me for what ever the reason.

I'd like to do more toys, but I seem to be stuck on the inside out idea. any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

You crocheted something that is a hippo on one side and a lion on the other?! How on earth did you manage that? Can we see it?

Well, I'm grown and don't have any kids, so I don't know much about toys. But your inside out toy reminded me of Popples. Probably kids don't still play with those, but when I was a kid in the 80s, I loved those things! I might be interested in making one of those just for nostalgia's sake.

Well, I look for (and when I create, I try to design) patterns that look professional when executed. For example, no huge gaps, smooth shapes instead of bulges or bubbles...as for subject, I look for something unusual and fun. (A hippo/lion topsy-turvy definitely qualifies) When I'm looking for inspiration, I look at toys that are not crocheted, and see what could be interpreted to crochet. It usually helps!

"Just to look at toys", I've done a few of those, but usually when I start adding details it starts adding pages and the instructions look more like a book than a pattern!

I had gone to a toy store and was thinking about a small soft sided wagon for a toddler to pull with one toy as passenger. Maybe clothes and or items for Bratz babies? I had an idea about taking a box and when the lid was removed the sides dropped and simple furniture was inside; bed, chair...all crochet of course.

What do you think?

You crocheted something that is a hippo on one side and a lion on the other?! How on earth did you manage that?

I just got done posting the picture of it on my blog along with a couple of other toys I have desinged. I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

I'm a little surprised how few responses this questions has gotten. I guess most people (me included) think of stuff toys when it comes to crochet. Oh how I want to change that...too adventuresome?

I'm a little surprised how few responses this questions has gotten. I guess most people (me included) think of stuff toys when it comes to crochet. Oh how I want to change that...too adventuresome?

Nah' date=' there's a lot you can do aside from conventional stuffed animals. Here's a link to my free patterns page, where you can see my finger puppets, masks, and some other things that aren't strictly toys. The only problem is thinking of things to do, and finding the time to do them all!

I love stuffed animals and think crochet is perfect for them. However, most of the pattterns I have seen for them are so unrealistic, too tubular for the limbs, too many simple shapes that vaguely resemble the animal intended. I am not including the amigurumi here, those are usually fantastic. But I would love to see stuffed animals that look more like the animal represented.

Also, fun games you could crochet like ring toss or something like that would be cool.

Maybe little cars or trucks for little boys. My son is 9 and he wouldn't be interested in that. I have asked him.

Wow Donna, I love the lion-hippo combo and the octopus! Not so sure about that doll but I guess a scrapbooker can put her to good use. How about some of those soft books that have snaps, buttons and ties so toddlers can learn to dress themselves? Also, soft books with numbers and letters that can be velcroed into place under pictures of objects or animals. And anything dress-up for little girls...crowns, tiaras, boas, hats, purses etc.:)

I used to have an upsidedown doll when I was little. It was Little Red Riding Hood, but when you flipped her over and her dress flipped over, she turned into Granny. Then when you flipped Granny's sleeping bonnet over, the wolf's face appeared. What about something like that?

Wow, thank you for all the ideas. I guess I really hit on something with the stuffed animals.

I also like doing dolls, but unless you buy a head they (at least mine) come out a bit clunky--not as detailed as I would like. A while back I did one doll that I called 3 times doll. She could be made into 3 very different sizes by what you used to make her with. She had hands with fingers and feet with toe, but I never got the face I wanted. Any ideas? I did try to translate a cross stitch pattern for a doll's face into crochet, but if I wanted the details I was after it came out too large. After all who wants a doll adult sized?

Have you tried thread crochet? Maybe doing a dolls head in thread would give you the detail you want without bulking it up too large. You could even do 20 or 30 if 10 is too big. This is a very interesting topic. Things I have never thought of before.

Anna that's a great idea using thread for the face, even in cross-stitching, some patterns are done over 1 thread for the face detail instead of over 2 for the rest. For all of you that cross-stitch you'll understand this and for those who don't trust me it makes a huge difference!

Have you tried thread crochet? Maybe doing a dolls head in thread would give you the detail you want without bulking it up too large. You could even do 20 or 30 if 10 is too big. This is a very interesting topic. Things I have never thought of before.

Archived