200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

My first completed square is #58, "Peach Rose": http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/Omphaloskepsis/crafts/peachrose.jpg

It's a bit squiggly! Not all neat and lacy like the one in the illustration ... I understand that blocking can help with achieving nice straight edges?

Going to stick to using DK yarn for the rest of my squares - for this one I just used what I had to hand.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The author used DK in all of her examples and most likely blocked them after using a protractor to make sure the angles were accurate!

Your square looks very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours look in DK.

Cheers, Claire! I'm now working on #58, the "Danish Square" on p57, and I'm stuck on Round 4. Where it says "[1dc into each of next 9dc, 2dc into next dc] twice", shouldn't this read "3 times"? Or am I going mad? These instructions only seem to cover three edges of the square ... (Please substitute "sc" if yours is the US edition of the book).

Round 5 seems to be missing one side, too ...

Or do the square brackets already indicate "repeat", meaning that "[1dc into each of next 9dc, 2dc into next dc] twice" is telling you to do three of these altogether? Colour me confused! :think

You're right. It's missing instructions for the corner stitches, which I would assume would be two stitches, dc for you, sc for me! And instructions for a side. I've noticed that this book has missed instructions here and there. I've got to tape my red pen to it and make notations!

Try contacting them. Here's their email address: CustomerService@interweave.com You may not hear anything until Monday, but it would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

When I get home from work, I'm going to look through for some errors I've seen when making my squares.

You're right. It's missing instructions for the corner stitches, which I would assume would be two stitches, dc for you, sc for me! And instructions for a side. I've noticed that this book has missed instructions here and there. I've got to tape my red pen to it and make notations!

Try contacting them. Here's their email address: CustomerService@interweave.com You may not hear anything until Monday, but it would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

When I get home from work, I'm going to look through for some errors I've seen when making my squares.

Thanks Claire - I would love to see your corrections before embarking on any more of my squares. In fact, Jan Eaton and I have a mutual friend (the lady who lent me her book) so if any other errors come up, we may be able to go straight to the source ...

Hi everybody,

here I am, back to business. I've been out of town (and of crochetville) for 2 months and I beg your pardon for this. In the meanwhile I didn't even progressed a little with my square throw!!!! I'm ashamed!!! Anyway a friend gave me a big bunch of wool skeins who belonged to her granny, and I intend to make a gorgeous blanket with it! I'm certainly late for the CAL but maybe by the end of the summer I'll have it done... It's never too late afterall, what you think? :-)

Hugs to everyone!

I just found this CAL, and I'd love to join. It'd be my first CAL, as I am new to Crochetville. I do have the book. I got it for myself last christmas when it didn't show up in present form (hubby picked other goods from the wish list, but I just had to have it!). I know this CAL was started a bit ago, but if it's still somewhat active, I'd like to give it a go!

Hello bean' and Justine! Good to know I'm not going to be all on my own here, despite being a tad late to the party ...

I've reworked block #58, "Peach Rose", having decided to limit myself to a colourscheme of purples and pinks, so that I can turn the blocks into a lapghan later on - and I think I've found another typo. I'm always reluctant to say so, in case it turns out I'm making a beginner error and blaming it on the book!

It's on p62. In Round 5, where it says "... into next 3ch sp", shouldn't this read "... into next 6ch sp"?

Thanks Rose! I think you should always post suspected typos. If you're right, you'll be helping other frustrated folk who may not have spoken up. If your wrong, someone will show up and give you the advice you need to keep going! Being one of those crocheters who always thinks I am at fault, I would appreciate the head's up!

I recently did 8 squares of # 201 (zigzag bobbles) for making a tote bag. My colors where pink, brown, & teal. I varied the pattern colors so that I basically had two different themes using the same three colors. Pink was the dominate color in one, brown in the other. Probem was that I somehow changed hooks between the two! :blush So now I have two small purses to put together, rather then the tote.

I very much want to do #59 (coral quartet), but I haven't figured out how to crochet by a graph yet....

I very much want to do #59 (coral quartet), but I haven't figured out how to crochet by a graph yet....

Hello bean! It looks to me as though for #59 you'd do it this way:

First, work 29ch using yarn A. Each little square in the graph equals one sc stitch. You're going to work 28 sc in each row, for a total of 34 rows. You need to start at the bottom right-hand corner of the graph and work from right to left for odd rows 1, 3, 5 etc and back from left to right for even rows 2, 4, 6, etc.

Row 1: Crochet your first sc stitch into the 2nd ch from the hook, then work a sc into each of the remaining chains: this means that after the first sc, you need to do another 13 sc stitches with yarn A, then change to yarn B for the remaining 14 sc in the row.

I'm guessing you don't fasten off yarn A, but leave it attached so that you can pick it up on again when you need it on row 2. Perhaps someone more experienced can confirm that for us?

Row 2: Turn your work. Reading from left to right, do 14 sc in yarn B, and then pick up yarn A again and do 14 sc in that colour.

Does that make sense? I haven't tried working from a graph before, but that is how I would approach it ...

beanpumpkin and Justine, welcome to the CAL! I'm tickled to have you aboard! I'm still laboring over mine. It's been neglected for a bunch of reasons. I did manage last night to add a row to one that was missing one. Had to frog the outside edge of it, just the outside edge. Otherwise, I would have just added an extra row to the outside edge!

Rose, you are right on the ball! I haven't had a chance to go through my book yet. I work weekends and Mondays (I'm there right now---sshh! :) ) so I'm a bit short for time. Wow, you know a friend of Jan Eaton's? Invite them both over to go through the book with you!!!

I did notice that once or twice it was my newbieness that made it seem like there were errors in the patterns, cases where I had to reread the directions a few times and look back at the previous round. But not every time.

Anyway, I hope the new kids on the block (heh, heh, pun intended!!) will post some pics of their hard work when they get the chance!

Btw, I've just e-mailed the UK publisher, David & Charles (dcdirect@davidandcharles.co.uk) to ask whether they have an errata list they could send me ... Can't see anything on their website. I'll let you know if anything's forthcoming!

hi chicky babes! I have finished, finito, completo!

Hopefully will take an appropriately posed photo of my rug on the weekend and post.

The days are getting short here cos we are in out winter, so I need to wait for the weekend to get a day time shot.

heheh, cant believe I finished the thing, and I actually like it. :manyheart

cupcake, I can't wait to see your finished piece. I'm sure it is, as they say in my neck of the woods, wicked pissa! That's a good thing, believe it or not!

I counted my squares last night. I have 48, which means I have 8 left to go! Now which 8? Of course, the he!!ishly hot and humid weather has finally arrived, so crocheting and piecing together squares is going to be ever so much fun....

I just bought this book! Ive looked at this CAL before and I never put 2 and 2 together. Im going to slowly work through the book but I dont think I will join this CAL as I dont really have the time and I have loads of other things to do.

Its a great book though :D

Wow, that was fast ... The publishers of the UK edition of "200 crochet blocks" have sent me corrections to 7 pages of the book. I'll type them up and share them here when I've got a moment, in case it helps others working from the British edition (xampx, I guess that means you too!) :)

Wow! Rose, that's great! I might send Interweave Press a note about it, just for the fun of it. Seven pages, holy cow!!!!

Edited to add: I just sent a note off to Interweave. Let's see what they do!

Wow, that was fast ... The publishers of the UK edition of "200 crochet blocks" have sent me corrections to 7 pages of the book. I'll type them up and share them here when I've got a moment, in case it helps others working from the British edition (xampx, I guess that means you too!) :)

Hey there, I would love a copy of the corrections in Englsih/Australian terms. Are ther emailable??

I find 7 pages with errors amazing in a book that cost me 42 dollars! And I worry about there being errors in my patterns! Thanks for the feedback xampx ;)

img86448av.jpgimg86464bg.jpg

img86489nd.jpgimg86490ux.jpg

Well I have finished! :cheer :cheer :cheer

I like it much better now that what I did while I was making it. I ended up doing an edge of 3 ch, 1dc arround, and while I wouldn't go getting a set square out to measure the corners,:D I think it finishes it off. I used 7 different blocks, and 6 different yarns in plain lemon, orange, sage, brown and variegated lemon, green, lime, and variegated orange, brown, yellow.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for having me on this my very first CAL.

I have had fun and now have a lovely new rug! :manyheart

Hey there, I would love a copy of the corrections in Englsih/Australian terms. Are ther emailable??

I find 7 pages with errors amazing in a book that cost me 42 dollars! And I worry about there being errors in my patterns!

Hi there cupcake. Your rug is gorgeous!!

Some of the errors are ones from the first UK edition that have already been corrected in the edition I bought. The "Peach Rose" design I found errors in is NOT one of those listed! They've sent me printed pages, meaning I'll have to either scan them or type up the errata - so bear with me, but I'll be sure to share them here as soon as I can.

Cupcake, I'm proud that you chose my humble CAL! Your rug is spectacular. What an eye for color and design you have. It just blows my mind! If you have fairs over there like we do, you should enter it. It's a prize winner.

Thank you for all your kind words of encouragement. I am thinking of doing another one, but my son wants it in plain old black and white. I am not sure that I have the intestinal fortitude to stick to 2 colours, but he has a plan with a geometrical thing happening.

I like doing these sorts of things as they travel well and once I have a sqaure in my head, I dont need the pattern.

I cant wait to see what the rest of you come up with.

Twinnish you have been a mighty fine CAL leader and I thank you for your leadership and encouragement. :manyheart

Cupcake, it's easy to lead when you have good people!

Perhaps it's time you gave your young sonny boy instructions in our fine art of crochet, so he can make his own two color rug! I know what you mean about the two colors. I have to have variety or I get bored pretty quickly.

Archived