Straps and Handles

Hello Again

So, my first set of purse straps was just... unsatisfactory. I just made long, wide strips of hdc (80 st x 4 rows) and felted them. They curcled up and felted in on themselves (turning into a tube in places which I had to open with a seam ripper). The width is variable. Basically, it just doesn't look good. Not nearly good enough to put on my bag which looks gaw-geous and not amateurish at all.

So, before I shell out $6-$12 on a commercially made handle, share with me the secrets of felted handles and purse straps.

Just to be clear, the handles were not attached to the bag when I felted them.

I'm not happy with the straps and handles I've made, either attached or not when felted. They tend to roll, not felt evenly, and otherwise just not be nice.

If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them, too!

When I make yarn handles for my bags, I double up the yarn, chain however long I think I need, and then slip stitch back down the chain. The handles turn out rounded, much like I-cord handles. (They are usually felted attached to the bag and still come out fine.) The one time I tried to make flat handles, they were completely misshapen--I'm still not sure how people manage that.

I made about 3 handles, and I've been REALLY totally happy with one. The shorter handles seem to work better. In my experience, when they are longer, wider works better (if you are going for a flat handle). I use a SC for at least 3 rows, but 4 or 5 works better.

One of my handles had minor curling, and I had good luck flattening it by ironing on the Wool setting with lots of steam and a pressing cloth.

Try starting from one end with Ch 8 very loosely, turn hdc in second ch and in each across. Ch 2 and hdc across. Continue until it is the length you want.

My first purse handles did not turn out well so I made the second this way and they turned out very nice.

I have never felted anything...ever. But I was thinking what if you used a corker and then braided the cords together and then felted it. Maybe I am not thinking glamorous enough... just my two cents.:2c

I knit mine. Was the Double I- cord. I use double-pointed needles and cast on 7 stitches. Knit 4, bring the yarn foward and slip the next 3 stiches. Turn and repeat till you have the lenght you want.. They turn out great...At least for me they do... Or just cast on 6 and go 3 and 3..

I don't like the cloth handles and so purchased 2 round bamboo ones...just today as a matter of fact and need to know the best method of attaching. I assume I felt the bag first (my first felted item), then stitch the hand with matching yarn on the inside??? Is there a better method to use?

I recently purchased one of these:

http://snipurl.com/icord

from Joann's with a 40% off coupon. It says it only works with thinner yarns like Sport Weight, but I was able to get it to work with some worsted weight as well. Once you get it going you can whip out yards of i-cord in no time at all. It won't work with yarn that has any kind of texture though.

Joan

I recently purchased one of these:

http://snipurl.com/icord

from Joann's with a 40% off coupon. It says it only works with thinner yarns like Sport Weight, but I was able to get it to work with some worsted weight as well. Once you get it going you can whip out yards of i-cord in no time at all. It won't work with yarn that has any kind of texture though.

Joan

THANKS for the tip Joan. I actually saw this yesterday at JoAnn's but didn't know it worked and it wasn't on sale yesterday. I'll keep my eyes open for a good sale or coupon and give it go. I was there looking for hearts they're suppose to have, but never found them. Something someone told me they put on all the items they donate, made with love or something like that.

Thanks again!

I made a set of long flat straps for my spring tote project that turned out well. I was using 3 different colors of yarn on my tote, one of them was not 100% wool and was a bulky yarn (Lion Brand Landscapes). The 100% wool I used was Galway. I started with a chain the length I wanted the straps (guestimating amount of shrinkage and factoring that in), then worked the first color of Galway all the way around the chain. Having a senior moment here, can't recall if I did the whole thing in straight sc or hdc, :think Anyhow, I worked that round single-strand (did the whole bag double-strand with the Galway to get it to match up better with the landscapes - made for a VERY thick fiber when felted!). I went around the straps once with the second color of Galway single-stranded and then again with it doubled up. I'm fairly certain I used sc for all rounds adding a few extra stitches on each end for give so they'd lay flat. The straps felted (I put them in a pillowcase) in 2 washings. They were a tad curled up when I pulled them out, but I tugged and smoothed them out by hand and spread them out to dry and they were fine, as you can see here:

SpringTote2.jpg

These straps are about 30" long, end to end.

The Galway was a fairly smooth wool, not very hairy. Maybe that had somewhat to do with your problems? Either that, or I was very very lucky!

Archived