What kind of yarn to use doing Filet??

donnalynn2

Question

I really love this shawl and am thinking about making it. I'm wondering (since Lustersheen is all but impossible to find in town) what other yarns I can use with Filet. Could I use Simply Soft? I know my gauge would be off but would the end result still show the rose? Any ideas or suggestions on "normal easy to find yarn" that I could use for this Shawl would be appreciated.

THANKS!

15 answers to this question

I did a filet afghan in wool Ease. It came out beautiful.

May I ask which color? I made my bf's mom a 'ghan last Christmas out of Woll-Ease in the Grey Heather color, and it's pilled horribly. :eek I love the way it feels and works up but the pills are nasty!

ETA: The reason I comment is not to downplay your suggestion; next time I'd just like to stitck to the colors that have less of a tendency to pill. :hook

Hmmm, I actually started this with Aunt Lydia's Cotton Size 3 (since I cannot possibly work with size 10 or smaller for something that large) and it doesn't appear to be turning out too well. My gauge is a little big and I'm already using an F hook. Plus, I don't like the way it feels against my skin. Maybe I should just keep going? (This is my first time doing filet so I'm not sure how many rows to do before deciding to ditch and start over!)

Well, if you don't like the way it's feeling now, I'd stop, swatch, wash, see if it;s better, and if not, find something else. You don't want to put all that work into something uncomfortable.

Maybe a looser spun yarn, something like Classic Elite Flash or Berrocco Cotton Twist? Those are two that my LYS carries that I'm pretty sure are less than $5/hank, plus they're gorgeous. Tons of colors. Waaay soft.

Donna, Just a hint, I know you crochet loose. For filet to look good it needs to be a tight or firm stitch. What ever Thread or yarn you decide to use, drop down a couple hook sizes till your stitches are tighter. That is what is going to make your piece look good. Good Luck

Donna, Just a hint, I know you crochet loose. For filet to look good it needs to be a tight or firm stitch. What ever Thread or yarn you decide to use, drop down a couple hook sizes till your stitches are tighter. That is what is going to make your piece look good. Good Luck

Yep, I am a loose crocheter... Thanks... Maybe I'll try that and heck, maybe this will feel better if it's crocheted tighter... I may try with a size 0 hook for this one. THANKS! :)

I'm trying to remember..but I think Elizabeth (threeolive) made that shawl last year. I don't remember the yarn, but I do remember it was stunning!!

Can't wait to see your photos!

Donna

Come to think of it, I think Julie did also... In red, if I'm not mistaken? :think At any rate, it was lovely...

that shawl is awesome, i think it would look good in a mango colored thread. or what about rose colored? i need to make myself one of those. thanks for reminding me:hug :hug

Ok, well I made the shawl. My gauge was correct and I did everything right except that you really have to struggle to actually see the "rose" filet part of it. I am wondering if it's because I used SS? (I will post a pic tonite). I really wanted to wear this next weekend (after several failed attempts at other shawls) and I want it in red.

The only place that carries Lustersheen is HL and they only carry a few colors (red isn't one of them) so I'd rather use something else. I'm stumped though. I want a rich red color and something that's not thread as I don't like the way it feels and I'm too slow with it...

Any ideas why the stitching is hard to see? I triple checked my gauge and it was right on...

Ok, well I made the shawl. My gauge was correct and I did everything right except that you really have to struggle to actually see the "rose" filet part of it. I am wondering if it's because I used SS? (I will post a pic tonite). I really wanted to wear this next weekend (after several failed attempts at other shawls) and I want it in red.

The only place that carries Lustersheen is HL and they only carry a few colors (red isn't one of them) so I'd rather use something else. I'm stumped though. I want a rich red color and something that's not thread as I don't like the way it feels and I'm too slow with it...

Any ideas why the stitching is hard to see? I triple checked my gauge and it was right on...

Donna there is a site yourartsandcrafts.com/redheartyarn-3.html they have a warm red lustersheen 4.99 for 335 yds. you can buy online. Just a thought since you wanted a pretty red.

Archived