Homespun Border Patterned Blanket (Pattern Number: 40699) CAL

sissie44

Ginny..i didnt go by row count i went by the 10" they had down and i measure every square as i go,im doing it in strips and just crochet in the ends as i go before they get frayed and unravel,then i cut the yarn im done with,its working out good this way.Im using a K hook to.

nutz4crochet..Yay..i hope you get your yarn soon..i get mine from knitting warehouse so it comes real fast for me..2 days.

:hook

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completed my third square today, and I might start another tonight if I don't spend too much time on thiis board! How's everyone else doing? Once I get my fourth color square done, I'll take pictures and make a mock-up of the blanket on my computer like Shaylen did with her graph. I want to play with the border colors as well as the pattern of the squares to see how the finished product might look.

Ginny..i didnt go by row count i went by the 10"

Shaylen: That's what I'm doing, too. I just didn't want to run out of yarn with doing so may extra rows. I think I'll be ok.

Ginny

Sissie - thank you for the link - and the idea!

Artemis, Merlot has it right - striking :clap blanket (so hard to find masculine stuff that isn't boring, way to go!)

Maybe I can join when I'm much further along on the 63 squares CAL; too many WIP in the drawer from pre-C'ville days, want to shrink that number, not increase :grin

That is so pretty, Artemis.

I will have to file this one under things I'd like to make someday. :hook I've got a couple on my to-do list ahead of it, though. Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern.

Whose bright idea was it to do this crochetalong ?

DOGGONE IT ---

I have been reading this daily , looking at that finished afghan that someone did . Telling myself - NO - YOU CANNOT START ANYTHING ELSE .

What did I do today ? Went and got yarn to make this . It is SO pretty .

I am gonna call this my Lonesome Dove Afghan. That's what my colors remind me of .

Can't officially start yet-- I am in the process of putting together the raffle afghan and have to make that my number one priority . THEN I'll drop in here .

Have a great day, guys ~~~

Hi again! I didn't crochet today--instead I played with various color arrangements of the four squares I've made.

Here's a scattered arrangement. I'm not sure how scatters will look with the blanket border. Maybe too confusing for the eye?

A rearrangement of that scatter.

This one is a diagonal like Artemis'

Mixed dark colors on one diagonal, light colors on the next here

I called this one tiles. Slightly less chaotic than the scatters?

A slight rearrangement of the one prior to this.

So, what do you think?

Ginny

Thanks for the welcome, Sissie!

I saw the AC Moore sale and decided I'd better get there before the weekend to get my colors. I'd been thinking about doing the blanket either in earth tones, or in black, gray, and red. When I got to the store I couldn't decide, so I bought enough for both blankets! So for the first one my colors are Rococo, Fawn, Barley, and Ranch. The second one is Candy Apple Red, Black, Granite, and Metropolis.

I'd like to do the strips as well, but I've not yet decided whether I'm doing a random pattern with the squares, or the diagonal version, so I'll make one square of each color to start. I'm going to do the earth tones blanket first.

Ginny

Wow Ginny these are going to be two pretty blankets!!! can't wait to see how they are going :yay

Thank you ladies.

Everyone's colors sound pretty. I purchased 3 skeins of rococo, Mediterranean, barley, fawn and antique. Looking at the original pattern it seems 3 skeins is enough for 4 squares plus the border. I hope it works out. My order was shipped yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here. :D I love the idea of strips to, less sewing. I was working on a shrug that required a lot of reading. That's why I am looking forward to making this afghan. Crochet a mile a minute.:hook

That is one of the reasons I chose this also!! I needed a break and mindless also :lol

I finished my first two squares today. I'm using a K hook and am able to get the horizontal gauge (9"), but I'm nowhere close on the number of rows. It took 31 rows (instead of the specified 25) to get 10". Is anyone else having gauge issues?

This is my first time using Homespun, and I could use some advice on how to deal with the yarn ends when I weave them in. It seems like they could fray after I'm done and leave little threads sticking out.

Oh, hey, another reason to do strips is that means not having to work into a starting chain so many times!!

Ginny

Ginny I am doing the K hook also and it is taking 29 rows for me.

I work my cut end yarn as a work my next color.

I really like doing this in strips!!! Thanks sis for coming up with this Idea:clap:clap

Sissie - thank you for the link - and the idea!

Maybe I can join when I'm much further along on the 63 squares CAL; too many WIP in the drawer from pre-C'ville days, want to shrink that number, not increase :grin

come join us when you can!! I am also working on the "another 63 square CAL" got 4 squares done today while watching the race:hook Plus i am doing a baby blanket swap that calles for 7" squares also, so as i do a square for my 63 I make and extra one for the swap:cheer

I have 5 squares done on this one and was going to take a pic BUT my camar has quit working for some reason:angry all I did was change the batteries!!

Whose bright idea was it to do this crochetalong ?

DOGGONE IT ---

I have been reading this daily , looking at that finished afghan that someone did . Telling myself - NO - YOU CANNOT START ANYTHING ELSE .

What did I do today ? Went and got yarn to make this . It is SO pretty .

I am gonna call this my Lonesome Dove Afghan. That's what my colors remind me of .

Can't officially start yet-- I am in the process of putting together the raffle afghan and have to make that my number one priority . THEN I'll drop in here .

Have a great day, guys ~~~

WOW it is great to have you here Julie:clap:clap and it was mind and my sister's great Idea to do this!! Thought it would be nice to have a mindless piece of work to work on :think:think sheylen (sister) showed it to me one night and i just knew I had to have it :cheer:cheer so here we are :hook:hook

sorry i wasn't able to get my square out to you in time to help with the raffle afghan:( But I promise to help with the fall one!!

Hi again! I didn't crochet today--instead I played with various color arrangements of the four squares I've made.

Here's a scattered arrangement. I'm not sure how scatters will look with the blanket border. Maybe too confusing for the eye?

Mixed dark colors on one diagonal, light colors on the next here

I called this one tiles. Slightly less chaotic than the scatters?

A slight rearrangement of the one prior to this.

So, what do you think?

Ginny

I like the Diagonal one like Artemis

Ginny

Hey, Ginny...I like any of the first three choices. The first scattered is my first choice. There is something so "artistic" about scattered. I tend to be too controlled which is why I never seem to see past a diagonal or other structured pattern.

Yesterday we went to visit my son and the afghan was on the back of the sofa. No one can tell the arrangement when the afghan is in use...unless you use it like a bedspread I guess. My family tends to snuggle up in front of the TV with our afghans, then fold them once or twice and toss them over a sofa or chair. Pick the arrangement that pleases you...but know its going to be rarely noticed.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this project. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all your opinions about the layout. I'll have to think it over a bit, and play with the scatters some more.

I may do this earth tones blanked in diagonal, and the second blanket in a scatter, since the second one is red, black, gray, and mixed black/white. I think I'll want to control where the red blocks are placed on that one.

Ginny

Evening everyone :hug

Welcome Julie..its allways nice to see you join..you stay so busy im not sure how you do it..:lol..like you and sissie..after the crochet olympics i needed mindless for a bit and in between working on Kathys shawl that im testing for her :P

Ginny..i like the diagonal one to..and love the colors.

artemis..thanks for stoping in..we need the cheering party.

Donna..did you get your yarn yet??

Sissie..i am watching you and i know you havent been going at it as you should.. :devil

Im doing good..just started on my third strip..its coming along real nice and its so nice to just crochet and not worry about counting non stop.Found out today my daughter is haveing a little girl so im think of using this pattern to with some baby clouds yarn..uuummm...not sure yet..im so excited thow becouse its my frist grandaughter :c9

keep up the great work everyone!!:hook

Wow, quiet thread! Where is everybody? I finished my 5th square today. I've had too many evening meetings this week to make a lot of progress, but at least I've made some!

I decided definitely to do strips instead of squares. Is everyone following the instructions in the pattern to leave long tails and then use those later for joining? What stitch are you going to use to join them?

Ginny

hey Ginny, look like we have all been busy! It is quit here.

I am doing the strips and not leaving the long ends. I will be sewing my with needle and yarn.

I am making mind bigger, it is going to be 6 squares per strip and there will be 5 strips. so far I am doing ok with it. I have one strip done and 3 squares done on my number two strip. that makes it 8 squares done now.

I am also in the shawl swap so I have been working on that for the last couple of days, which flopped!! it came out NOTHING like the pic and even my hubby agrees that i need to frog it and start over! the bad part is I paid for that pattern!!

how is everyone else coming along?

Wow, Sissie, that's going to be a really, really big blanket! I can't wait to see it when it's done. I'm sorry to hear about the shawl. I hope you can finish another in time for the swap.

I don't have other projects going on right now, but I'm on the hunt for a small one to take with me on a trip next week. I'd like to use up some old yarn, so maybe a hat (or two), a bag, or the Stash Buster Vest.

Ginny

Archived