Homespun Border Patterned Blanket (Pattern Number: 40699) CAL

sissie44

Donna:

Just 1 1/2 left? Wow, are you doing 3x4 or 4x5?

As of tonight I've finished two rows of four blocks each, switching colors as I go across one long row. I like that I don't have a bulky seam on the back, but it is slower doing it this way. Also I have a harder time with my gauge--it's much easier to keep the rows from getting wider when they are only 9 inches. Also since I'm using all the colors at once, some are thicker than others so I'm having to adjust tension to try to keep the rows the same height. Doing that sometimes causes my stitches to get wider on some squares, even though I try to keep the first loop on each stitch type, and I wind up with my rows growing in width. I don't know which is the better fight--dealing with the sewing, or struggling with the gauge!

Ginny

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here are my calculations for the side border stitches. I think the pattern as written is inconsistent in gauge.

For the original pattern, the top border has you sc in each stitch plus make an extra 13 sc extension for a total of 85. The next rows you do a ripple pattern which has a 6 stitch repeat, so there are 14 ripples plus an extra sc on the end. That makes 4 ripples (24 stitches) for each block (9" across), and 2 ripples on the extension piece. 24 stitches / 9 inches = 2.67 stitches per inch. Note the official pattern gauge is 2.625 stitches per inch.

Now, looking at the vertical, the pattern says to work 103 sc evenly on the edge (would make 17 ripples). The rows added to the blanket on the border on the top edge should have increased the length of the sides by the same size as the 13-stitch extension above. So I'm assuming we work 13 sc along the side of the top border, leaving 90 sc to work along the sides of the 4 blocks, which should be 40 inches. 90/40 = 2.25 stitches per inch, 22.5 stitches per 10-inch block, or 20.25 for a 9 inch block to compare it to the 24 stitches on the horizontal.

If we take the 40 inches along the sides of the blocks, to keep the same gauge as the horizontal we'd need 40 * 2.67 = 107 stitches plus the 13 for the extension = 120. To make the ripple come out even we'd need 121 stitches to make 20 ripples plus 1 extra sc. So by my calculation we wind up with 3 more ripples along the side edges than specified in the pattern.

Or, using the 2.625 stitches per inch gauge from the pattern would make 105 sc along the sides of the square, plus 13 for the extension, for 118 total. To make the ripple pattern come out even we'd need to either go up to the same 121 above, or go down to 115 (either 19 or 20 ripples).

I hope when I read this in the morning it actually makes sense.

ETA: For a 4 x 5 block blanket I calculated approximately 145 sc on the sides for 24 ripples (2 on the extension, and 22 along the 5 blocks.

Ginny

Ginny, I am doing 4x5 and I finished the squares. Your extra effort will be worth it. Thanks for the border tips. When I get to that point I will come back to your thread for help.

I hope when I read this in the morning it actually makes sense. :lol:coffee Very funny!

Now for sewing. :eek I sewed up one section of blocks..Doesn't look too bad, but I am wondering how it will hold up the test of time? I worked a small section of sl st and did look much different so maybe I'll try sl st. I will have a wrong side for sure.

Donna: One of my concerns with stitching the squares together was that repetitively pulling such a thick, textured yarn through all those stitches would seriously weaken the yarn. I agree that slip stitch would be a better choice for the homespun.

Ginny

Ginny- that's my exact feeling too. I only joined one block together. By the time I was at the end of the block the strand of yarn was so fuzzy and thin. I haven't touched it since. Ah maybe today.

Donna: One of my concerns with stitching the squares together was that repetitively pulling such a thick, textured yarn through all those stitches would seriously weaken the yarn. I agree that slip stitch would be a better choice for the homespun.

Ginny

I love this afghan.....perfect for the hubby!!

I can't say I've ever noticed Lion Brand yarn in the stores.....is this something you can only order online?

If I don't use Lion Brand....what other type of yarn do you think would look nice?

I'm going to do this.....just not the CAL....too many other wips to get done...LOL!

:hook

Stephanie:

Lion Brand is in all the major craft stores--Michaels, AC Moore, JoAnn Fabric, etc. Homespun is a very thick, textured yarn. I'm not sure what other yarn to recommend as a substitute as I've only just started using bulkier yarns. Perhaps someone else can help. If you get your WIPs done, come back and join us. I bought yarn to make two of these, so I'll be doing another later this year.

Ginny

Thanks Ginny....unfortunately, here in Quebec, we don't have ANY craft stores....besides Walmart and Zellers (which only carries yarn). Walmart has a bigger selection of crafty type items.

I decided to make it using Bernat Illusions yarn which is pretty thick, so I think it will turn out nice. I only bought 1 skein each of three different shades today. I don't want to buy a whole bunch....just in case I don't like the look of it. And it's great because it's no dye lot.....gotta love no dye lot!!

I completed my first square today, while my son was napping. I can only do it during the day while he naps cuz it's a surprise for my hubby. Nighttime crochet is either my afghan or my daughters poncho.....lol

The colors I chose are: soft heather, stone hues and earth hues....

So much for me waiting till my other wip's are completed! :P:hook

No great advances to report. I've done about 6 inches on my fourth row of squares. Every once in a while I have to frog a row or so because I dropped my yarn to the incorrect side. I'll get there, though!

Stephanie, your square looks great. I'll have to take some pictures soon.

Ginny

Hello Everyone so sorry I have been missing from here lately!! But you know how life gets sometimes!

I am back now:clap so how is everyone coming along? steph I love the yarn you are using! I haven't gotten much done on mind lately But i am going to start back on it this weekend and will post where i am at later!

Wish all of you a very happy easter!!:manyheart

Sissie: Glad to see you back!

I'm part way through my last (fifth) row of squares, so I will be finishing them this coming week! Then I want to look at the size of the blanket and decide if I want to add a sixth row to make it a little longer before I start the border. I think I would have enough yarn to do that.

Ginny

Jump on in the water is fine :lol

Ginny I have gotten four strips done. and like you I will be looking before i start the border to see what I like!

hope everyone is having a great week,

I've finished all my rows of squares. Woohoo!!! I decided the 4x5 square blanket was big enough, so now to attack the edging. I have to decide on the order of colors yet, but I should be able to start it this weekend!

Donna, here's your push: "Go, Donna, Go!!!!" We can do this. It'll look so great when you're finished.

Sissie: How's it going? Are you ready for the border yet?

Stephanie: Have you been able to get going again?

Ginny

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed the top border and left border, and I have one third of the bottom border done. Once the border is done there are 6 rounds of sc (over 560 sc per round) for the edging. Yuck!! I'm tempted to do fewer rounds in hdc.

How's everybody else doing??

Ginny

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ginny, I am so sorry that I left everyone alone in here:( I have been fighting my dark hold again:cry:cry and just have not been able to be here.

I did finish the two swaps I was in!

now I am back to this one. I need some mindless for a couple of weeks here:blush

I have finished three rows of six squares and three squares on my fourth row.

If anyone is still here I would love to hear how you are coming along!

Hi Sissie! Glad you're back. Man, your blanket is going to be huge! Six rows! My is big at 4x5. I'm working on the rounds of sc on the edging--just two more rounds to go, then I have maybe a dozen ends to weave and I'm done!

Ginny

Archived