Homespun Border Patterned Blanket (Pattern Number: 40699) CAL

sissie44

I found this Great looking FREE Pattern over at Lion Brand Homespun web site and thought it would be great to do a Crochet-A-Long with it since the pattern is FREE and you do not have to wait to find the pattern!!

It is call:Border Patterned Blanket and I would love to have everyone join me so we can cheer each other on to a new Blanket to cover with:cheer

I have already been to town to get my homespun yarn and am ready to start:hook

I will be using NOUVEAU, FAWN, & HARVEST. You can check out my colors over on the homespun page where you get the pattern.

Looking forward to have you in our group!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I just finished this one! I made it larger than the pattern and added an additional color. It was fun, easy, too. I gave it to my adult son. It is nice and masculine and cozy for Wisconsin where we live.

You'll have fun with this. Good luck on your CAL:cheer

forcrochetville2.jpg

I'm in for this one. I saw the one Artemis did and fell in love with it. I have a couple small things to finish here first and pick out my colors, but then I'll be on it.

Great idea!! :clap:cheer

artemis-That is so pretty,now i cant wait to start.

jchllm-Yay..im so glad you are joining us,im still tring to decide which yarn to use allso and have a couple of small things to finsh to...like my sisters Doily for her birthday,my summer sweater.But will start on this when everyone else does.

Artemis, That is so Pretty!!! and I am also planning on adding and extra row:)

Thank you sharing with us! I can't wait to get started:clap

Jschllm & Shaylen, it is great to have you here! and thanks for coming along with me on this Crochet-A-long:cheer:cheer

You know what, I think I will be in on this one. I am going to be out of work for 6 weeks for medical leave and I think this would be something good to work on in the hospital and while I am home recovering. Count me in! Now just to order some yarn.

You know what, I think I will be in on this one. I am going to be out of work for 6 weeks for medical leave and I think this would be something good to work on in the hospital and while I am home recovering. Count me in! Now just to order some yarn.

It is great to have you here!! hope and pray things will go well for you :hug

This is really going to be mindless to start with:clap Just what I need after that sweater I made for the Olympics:(.

I have my first square done and all it is is 24 sc back and forth:hook

Shaylen i think I like your Idea also about not endding at the end of the square and just adding the next color and going on up:cheer:cheer

I am adding my next color and trying that way but like you i believe that will work out great!!

Patty drop in when ever you can:)

Glad to be here. In fact I just ordered my yarn this morning. I will be using the colors LB used in the picture, I like the combo and the person who will end up with this I am sure will love the colors. As soon as it comes I will get started!

If anyone's interested, I think Homespun is on sale this week at Hobby Lobby for $3.22 a skein. Here's a link to their weekly ad.

This looks so fun (and fairly simple) and I love Homespun, I may join after I finish joining my 63 squares.

My yarn came today...yay..so i have started.I am doing it in strips instead of squares,i like how that looks and i wont have to join them all,just the strips.

I am using waterfall,colbat and colonial,its looking good to.

The pattern calls for 3 of each color but i got 4 so i could make it bigger.

Hows everyone doing on theres??

Artemis: How many skeins did you need of each color to make the larger blanket?

Ginny

Oh, Ginny, I'm sorry but I don't really know. I had a lot of Homespun and I just kept using it in whatever quantities I had. It is at least a fourth larger since there is one more color, so at least 3 skeins of 4 colors, but I bet it was more.

I'm not very good at keeping records, but I've set a goal of at least writing down the type of yarn and hook size I used.

Hope your project goes well. I'll keep checking to see how you all are doing.

Enjoy. Artemis.

I didn't get any done over the weekend we were out of town and can you believe I left!! my yarn behind:( OMG I was a whole three days with nothing to work on!!!

But now I am back and am starting on it today. I have three different colors I am using and am also working in strips. I will take a pic in the morning so you can see how it looks so far.

I am in on this one too. I couldn't find homespun on sale in stores by me, so I ordered from Joanns.com My husband wanted it to be bigger so I ordered 3 skeins of 5 colors each. I think I am going to make mine in strips too.

I'm considering making this blanket, but I've never used Homespun before so I purchased one skein to see how I like it. If so I'll purchase the rest of the yarn this weekend. I want to do a 4 x 5 square blanket (like artemis), but I may assemble the squares in a random pattern (still one of each color per row) that won't have the diagonal stripe effect.

Artemis: Thanks for your advice. If I do make this blanket I think I'll get 4 skeins for 3 of the colors, and 5 skeins of whatever color I use for the edging, just in case.

Ginny

Artemis: Thanks for your advice. If I do make this blanket I think I'll get 4 skeins for 3 of the colors, and 5 skeins of whatever color I use for the edging, just in case.

Ginny

Good plan. That should cover it. And you can always use up the Homespun. It makes fabulous stiped scarves with just a little of different colors.

Welcome ginny & donna it is good to have you both here with us!!:clap

what colors are you going to use?

I am doing mine in the strips and it is working out good!

Thanks for the welcome, Sissie!

I saw the AC Moore sale and decided I'd better get there before the weekend to get my colors. I'd been thinking about doing the blanket either in earth tones, or in black, gray, and red. When I got to the store I couldn't decide, so I bought enough for both blankets! So for the first one my colors are Rococo, Fawn, Barley, and Ranch. The second one is Candy Apple Red, Black, Granite, and Metropolis.

I'd like to do the strips as well, but I've not yet decided whether I'm doing a random pattern with the squares, or the diagonal version, so I'll make one square of each color to start. I'm going to do the earth tones blanket first.

Ginny

Welcome to the new ladies.

Sounds like some good colors Ginny,cant wait to see it done.Sissie(my sister)is using ranch,fawn and rococo,hay..great minds think alike lol.

Heres what i did,i made a graph on my computer and layed out how i wanted the colors,then started crocheting in strips,its working out great so far,im on the 2nd strip now,i love how its looking.

Thank you ladies.

Everyone's colors sound pretty. I purchased 3 skeins of rococo, Mediterranean, barley, fawn and antique. Looking at the original pattern it seems 3 skeins is enough for 4 squares plus the border. I hope it works out. My order was shipped yesterday. I can't wait for it to get here. :D I love the idea of strips to, less sewing. I was working on a shrug that required a lot of reading. That's why I am looking forward to making this afghan. Crochet a mile a minute.:hook

I finished my first two squares today. I'm using a K hook and am able to get the horizontal gauge (9"), but I'm nowhere close on the number of rows. It took 31 rows (instead of the specified 25) to get 10". Is anyone else having gauge issues?

This is my first time using Homespun, and I could use some advice on how to deal with the yarn ends when I weave them in. It seems like they could fray after I'm done and leave little threads sticking out.

Oh, hey, another reason to do strips is that means not having to work into a starting chain so many times!!

Ginny

Archived