Hello peeps

bilblio

Hello. I've been reading the boards for a few days, but ez logins confused me. Thankfully I'm here now though.

I'm a UK girly, I learnt how to crochet when I was a kid, but it's only since I left home, away from my ever so lovely, but slightly too helpful Mum, that I seem to have been able to start and complete a project alone.

I do loads of things, jewellery making, cross-stitch, sewing, but I think crocheting is my favourite. I make lots of bags, I like things to be useful, although at the moment I'm being adventurous and branching out into clothing, by making a poncho.

I can read patterns, I do a lot of thread crochet, but I tend to get bored sticking to patterns on most things and it all becomes improvised.

Happy to meet you all, and I'll get on to the rest of the board now.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. :D

MommaChelle the poncho is much bigger now, I really should take a new picture.

yarntomato the plastic bag crochet has never grown any bigger, it's hard on hooks, I snapped the plastic ones, and it's even harder on the fingers. I've got some large metal hooks now though so I might have to have a second attempt with a different design.

Hi there, I love all your crafts, especially your record bowl and beer can flower. I was wondering about the plastic bag crochet, is it really made out of plastic bags? Did you cut them into strips? Do you use it for anything?

Thankyou enmac. THe plastic bag crochet really is made from plastic bags cut into strips. There are different ways to fasten them the strips together. Some suggest cutting the bags in a spiral so you get one long piece, but I cut mine straight across so I had lots of loops and then looped them all together.

There are a few website with instructions.

<a href="http://members.tripod.com/pacycrochets/frugal/" target="_new">Pacy Crochets Frugal</a> has a good illustration for fastening the loops together. <a href="http://community-2.webtv.net/spclk83/PlasticBagCrafts/" target="_new">Plastic Bag Ladies</a> has lots more information and ideas.

I never finished making my bag. It's pretty hard on the hands, and my hands aren't too great. It's also very hard on hooks. I started using a 5.5mm plastic hook, and it snapped. If I do it again I'll use as large a metal hook as I can find, 7mm at least.

I'll re-do mine one day, it makes such a tactile material, and it certainly helps reduce the plastic bag mountain in my kitchen.

Let me know how you get on.

• 1 year later...

Now I'm confused.:think

I've been a member here for over a year, although I only pop in from time to time.

But thankyou for all the new welcomes anyway :)

I'll try to pop in more often. I promise.

Archived